Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 15:43   #1

Braking problem @ low rpms

I am not sure, I should be posting a new thread for this. The problem mentioned here for new Swift,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ake-issue.html

I am observing the same brake jamming problem in my 2 1/2 year old Ford Figo (Petrol ZXI). The showroom here at St Marks Road, Bangalore is in denial of the problem and say this is expected.

The problem: braking more than once at lower RPMs (without pressing accel or clutch pedal) seems to jam the brakes (below 1000 RPMs or maybe the threshold is still lower say 700-800 RPM)

The brake pedal gets jammed, won't move any further and the car moves freely. The only way to snap out of the deadlock is immediately depress the clutch and brake pedal goes all the way down again.

I was doing this slow driving in 2nd gear. Here is how I could clearly replicate the issue, when approaching a speed braker, I do not down shift to 1st gear, I am on 2nd and apply the brakes softly. The RPM drops, clear the hump now I do not press the accelerator, allow the car to move (the RPMs have still not gone up), now press the brake again, jammed! The brake pedal is jammed!

Shrikanth R K
--
Model: Ford Figo ZXI, Petrol
Color: Sea Gray
City: Bangalore
Dealer: Metro Ford (Palace Road showroom)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 23:57. Reason: Spacing
Old 19th December 2012, 19:03   #2
BHPian

re: Ford Figo : Braking problem @ low rpms

The problem seems specific to your car & I guess no one has reported any kind of brake issue (apart from screeching sound) for the figo. Get the brake system thoroughly inspected at the A.S.S. They should check the fluids and bleed the system if necessary. Also ask them to inspect the master cylinder along with brake pads & discs.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 19:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can you do this on an empty stretch of road and note what the RPM is when you are applying the brake second time. My guess is that one of two things are happening. Either there is not enough vacuum in the system or the brake booster valve is getting stuck. The valve may be getting stuck due to low vacuum also.

When you do this experiment note 2 things. Firstly as mentioned the engine RPM and secondly when you depress the clutch does the RPM go up?
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 19:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriek_007 View Post

The problem: braking more than once at lower RPMs (without pressing accel or clutch pedal) seems to jam the brakes (below 1000 RPMs or maybe the threshold is still lower say 700-800 RPM)
The brake pedal gets jammed, won't move any further and the car moves freely. The only way to snap out of the deadlock is immediately depress the clutch and brake pedal goes all the way down again.

I was doing this slow driving in 2nd gear. Here is how I could clearly replicate the issue, when approaching a speed braker, I do not down shift to 1st gear, I am on 2nd and apply the brakes softly. The RPM drops, clear the hump now I do not press the accelerator, allow the car to move (the RPMs have still not gone up), now press the brake again, jammed! The brake pedal is jammed!

Shrikanth R K
--
The Brake booster works on a vacuum chamber. The brakes will tend to get a little harder on prolonged stop go traffic.This is normal.

In your case, the brake pedal was pressed only once and it is getting jammed. The problem with the brake booster or the master cylinder.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 20:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Can you do this on an empty stretch of road and note what the RPM is when you are applying the brake second time.
I am going to give my car to the St Marks Road showroom tomorrow, I will check this again on an empty stretch of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
When you do this experiment note 2 things. Firstly as mentioned the engine RPM and secondly when you depress the clutch does the RPM go up?
I will note these, will also check the idle rpm value.
Old 19th December 2012, 21:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't want to call this a fault or a defective system. The Fiat Grande Punto and Hyundai i20 also suffer from the brake pedal going hard in situations where there is next to no throttle input and a higher application of brakes. A colleagues brand new igen Hyundai i20 has this problem too. There is not much you can do and I do not think it is worth fiddling with the braking system. As F150 has already mentioned, you will experience this in bumper to bumper traffic conditions. Not otherwise.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 10:53   #7
BHPian

Hyundai i20 : Braking problem at low rpms/speed.

The car is an i20 2012 done 25K km, and very well maintained. I have driven this only from 1-2 months now and noticed that in some cases specially bumper-to-bumper traffic, the rpm falls much below idling rpm and after using the brake once in this situation, the brake pedal becomes hard and doesn't work at all even when full force is applied. The brake returns back to normal condition after few seconds after rpm rises.

Found that the similar issue has been reported for Ford Figo, Swift etc as well. I am posting this thread as I could not find anything specific to i20 on the forum and a new post may be required as the fix may be specific to this car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-low-rpms.html

Went to the service center and they confirmed this issue but a software upgrade is available only for i10 as of now. They bled the lines and found pressure to be a bit low and are replacing the master cylinder next weekend.

Has anybody faced this with i20 and is there a way to fix it other than always driving in right gear and keeping right engine rpm.

Last edited by GTO : 10th March 2015 at 11:59. Reason: Typos
sanjeevgpc is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th March 2015, 11:32   #8
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 : Braking problem at low rpms/speed.

Not I sure I understood fully, but the diesel model has a minimum speed for each gear. For 1st gear it is 8 kmph. If I have to go below that, I always depress the clutch.
Old 14th June 2019, 21:02   #9

Re: Braking problem @ low rpms

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriek_007 View Post
I am not sure, I should be posting a new thread for this. The problem mentioned here for new Swift,

Shrikanth R K
--
Hi Shrikanth. I face the same issue on my new figo that is just 3 years old and 18k run. Were you able to solve this problem?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 23:56. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small screen / mobile users

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks