Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2012, 13:17   #1

Crazy high mileage on Swift CNG

Hello!
I have a Swift VXi 2006 model which has been recently converted to CNG by FortuneCNG - They claim to be authorized dealers, but whatever.

Prior to the conversion, I used to average about 12kmpl on unleaded Petrol, but since I started driving on CNG, my CNG mileage seems to have shot through the roof! Yes, the mileage has gone up to around 180% in the city!! The driving style is exactly the same - Very less clutching, minimum braking and no sudden acceleration

Current fuel costs are at about Rs 1.59 a kilometer

My question is simple - Do you calculate the CNG mileage the same way as calculating the petrol mileage?

for e.g.,
Distance travelled / Cost per KG of CNG?

Check the screenshots of the fuel mileage tracking app that I use to keep a close eye on my spends and mileage
Attached Images

chetanthaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 00:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Crazy high mileage on Swift CNG

Did you try tankful to tankful method of calculation ? Those figures are phenomenal by any measure.
Old 25th December 2012, 00:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Did you try tankful to tankful method of calculation ? Those figures are phenomenal by any measure.
Yes I do that every time I tank up. However, I had heard someone talk about the pressure with which the pump operators pump in the fuel. And I am yet to notice a difference in the pressure. I am assuming, more pressure = more fuel going in = mileage varying.

I usually visit the pump about 40-60KM after the red light on the CNG meter shows up. I have done from 160km to 225km on that red light once just to find out how much of fuel I have on board. The CNG tank got completely empty and had to switch to petrol. That was when I filled up 9.17KG of CNG in the car. I tend to stay with the same pump operator (probably because not a lot of people know they have CNG or the fact that the pump next to it sells it for Rs 0.05 cheaper )
chetanthaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 03:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on those figures, they are truly phenomenal and saving you almost INR 4 per km

Am not too surprised barring that one figure of 25, i have a Linea which i converted to cng and have been regularly getting figures of 18-19 in city without AC and am sure the Swift is much more capable of getting higher figures thanks to its light construction and a more fuel efficient engine.

Though cng calculations are never fully accurate as the pressure varies every time but my figures of 18-19 are based on constant pressure of 200-210 as i get the refills from the same station at the same time.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 05:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Whatever be the quantity and the calculation, the Rupee per Km is what counts. The conversion is therefore beneficial with a B.
Btb, what is that VCI in the thread title, is it VXi?
Old 25th December 2012, 05:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Congrats on those figures, they are truly phenomenal and saving you almost INR 4 per km

Am not too surprised barring that one figure of 25, i have a Linea which i converted to cng and have been regularly getting figures of 18-19 in city without AC and am sure the Swift is much more capable of getting higher figures thanks to its light construction and a more fuel efficient engine.

Though cng calculations are never fully accurate as the pressure varies every time but my figures of 18-19 are based on constant pressure of 200-210 as i get the refills from the same station at the same time.
How's the performance with CNG on Linea? Its a heavy car and will be even more bogged down by increase in weight (CNG cylinder) and loss of power.
Old 25th December 2012, 10:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanthaker View Post
Yes I do that every time I tank up. However, I had heard someone talk about the pressure with which the pump operators pump in the fuel. And I am yet to notice a difference in the pressure. I am assuming, more pressure = more fuel going in = mileage varying.

I usually visit the pump about 40-60KM after the red light on the CNG meter shows up. I have done from 160km to 225km on that red light once just to find out how much of fuel I have on board. The CNG tank got completely empty and had to switch to petrol. That was when I filled up 9.17KG of CNG in the car. I tend to stay with the same pump operator (probably because not a lot of people know they have CNG or the fact that the pump next to it sells it for Rs 0.05 cheaper )
We get around 16 to 20 km/kg on CNG in our baleno with ac most of the times. It does vary on the pressure these pumps have. Which pump do you fill from?
Old 25th December 2012, 10:57   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Hello!
I have a Swift VXi 2006 model which has been recently converted to CNG by FortuneCNG - They claim to be authorized dealers, but whatever.

Prior to the conversion, I used to average about 12kmpl on unleaded Petrol, but since I started driving on CNG, my CNG mileage seems to have shot through the roof! Yes, the mileage has gone up to around 180% in the city!! The driving style is exactly the same - Very less clutching, minimum braking and no sudden acceleration
I have a 2007 Swidt Vxi-ABS which was converted to CNG around 2 years ago with a BRC kit. My CNG mileage is also around 170% of my earlier Petrol Mileage.

However, this is one small thing to consider - you cannot use this value directly to figure out cost per km. You also have consider cost of petrol used. That should make a marginal difference in your cost per km.

Quote:
That was when I filled up 9.17KG of CNG in the car. I tend to stay with the same pump operator (probably because not a lot of people know they have CNG or the fact that the pump next to it sells it for Rs 0.05 cheaper )
I have a 12kg tank, I think - I have never been able to fill more than 8-8.5 kg even when empty. Anyway - where is this petrol pump?

Last edited by carboy : 25th December 2012 at 10:59.
Old 25th December 2012, 14:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Believe it or not, One tankful of CNG i.e around 8.5 kgs of gas, Lasted me from Delhi to Dehradun. I got a super duper mileage of around 31km per kgm and this in the month of june and AC was on for 90% of the time. My dad was driving, So we never exceeded 90kmph and the car is Hyundai Accent.

And we even had a santro, following us and their CNG lasted for 10kms more then ours, they too got whooping 31.xx kms per kgm.

So, I am not too surprised to see your figures
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 17:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crazy high mileage on Swift CNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
How's the performance with CNG on Linea? Its a heavy car and will be even more bogged down by increase in weight (CNG cylinder) and loss of power.
Linea was never known for its sprightly performance especially the 1.4 NA petrol engine but the CNG hasnt bogged it down too much. The low end does suffer but it all depends on the kit and the installation, this being a sequential kit, the power loss is minimal and the car revvs freely all the way to 4000-5000 rpm on cng without any hiccups.

My thread is there in Long term ownership incase you want to get more details
Old 26th December 2012, 01:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have a 2007 Swidt Vxi-ABS which was converted to CNG around 2 years ago with a BRC kit. My CNG mileage is also around 170% of my earlier Petrol Mileage.

However, this is one small thing to consider - you cannot use this value directly to figure out cost per km. You also have consider cost of petrol used. That should make a marginal difference in your cost per km.

I have a 12kg tank, I think - I have never been able to fill more than 8-8.5 kg even when empty. Anyway - where is this petrol pump?
Here goes
It is a HP petrol pump right after (the now shut down) Akbarallys in Chembur
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=19.05...02642&t=h&z=16

There is an Indian Oil petrol pump who are Rs 0.05 cheaper than the HP one and end up having crazy long lines. This HP one usually has a max of 2-3 cars ahead of you. Rickshaw lines are separate. Service is quick.
Old 26th December 2012, 08:52   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Here goes
It is a HP petrol pump right after (the now shut down) Akbarallys in Chembur
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=19.05...02642&t=h&z=16

There is an Indian Oil petrol pump who are Rs 0.05 cheaper than the HP one and end up having crazy long lines. This HP one usually has a max of 2-3 cars ahead of you. Rickshaw lines are separate. Service is quick.
I go to Chembur all the time. I filled at one of the pumps next to Akbarallys last weekend. However, I don't remember which one because I didn't pay much attention. Will try the HP one next time I go to Chembur.
Old 26th December 2012, 17:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have a CNG'd Optra and driven approx 70K Kms on CNG. Been using it on CNG since CNG was approx 18 buck a Kg, In 2010.
The FE I get is approx 15-16.5 KM/Kg in the city, depending on traffic and Air Con On/Off.
On the highway its a different story all-together. I know that it may sound crazy but we've managed driving 250Kms all the way to Chandigarh and 10-20 Km local driving in Chd too. Too bad there ain't a CNG Pump in Chandigarh.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:53   #14

Update 1:
Had been to Pune on New Year's Eve. Had tanked up at Vashi one night earlier and drove via the expressway, drove through whole of Pune in crazy traffic (including the Peth areas - i.e. Old Pune) which means going through the narrowest of lanes with rickshaws and people crossing the road for no apparent reason. Mostly in 1st and 2nd gear through Pune for one whole day.
Mileage seemed to have soared quite a bit and on my way back, had lined up at the HP petrol pump after Orchid Hotel towards Baner (hard to miss - this one is a 12-16 lane pump that I could not find on Google Maps for some reason) and idled to get tanked up for over half an hour easy. Was next in line to fill up and the car spluttered out of CNG completely. Filled up 8.4KG of CNG at Rs 41.50 a KG!! Mumbai is at about Rs 33.9 a KG

Here is the next set of pictures that show the mileage from 15-Dec till 4-Jan-2012

Enjoy!
Attached Images

chetanthaker is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks