Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 10:00   #16
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster 110 : THUD sound & vibration on engine startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post

Any inputs to shed more light to understand this will be appreciated. I strongly feel the timing cannot just change like that because of few drops of oil.
-While buying the warranty, you would have paid the price for the package which is applicable for vehicles with irregular service, then that should include the ‘coolant not changed’ scenario. Try explaining it to them.

-Ask them to check all (current and old dtc codes) to show where the car indicated a high temp warning which would distort the seal.

-Write to Renault, register an official complaint. Mention that the vehicle hasn’t been serviced anywhere else. And that the oil leak is unusual on the pulley side (its usually on the clutch side). Mention vehicle age and details. Keep the text short and to the point, don’t go overboard explaining the agony and mental stress. Mention clearly what you expect from them, after they come up with a thoroughly investigated reason for the oil leak and failure supported by proof (High temp warning logged in the ecm).

-The belt can slip if there is oil between the pulley and the belt.

-Was this issue present since the day you bought the car or did it occur after? If they messed up at 60k service it would have been there since day one.

-Ask them to replace the oil seal (2.5k), clean the pulleys, correct the timing, install a new belt (5k) and check if the issue is resolved. A tooth or two slip in timing would not require a repair which would warrant the head to be removed to check the valves.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 12:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
-While buying the warranty, you would have paid the price for the package which is applicable for vehicles with irregular service, then that should include the ‘coolant not changed’ scenario. Try explaining it to them.
I told them this but still they are not ready to accept

Quote:
-Ask them to check all (current and old dtc codes) to show where the car indicated a high temp warning which would distort the seal.
They never spoke about this at all , I don't think they found any warning codes on the ecm as well otherwise they would have told me about it by now. Had left the car with them on 30th March but since they were not accepting I got the car back and dropped it at Bosch yesterday evening since I got too skeptical that A.S.S might make it worse if I leave it there. Have registered a call on Renault website, I guess I will have to get it towed back to them if they need to perform more checks.

Quote:
-Write to Renault, register an official complaint. Mention that the vehicle hasn’t been serviced anywhere else. And that the oil leak is unusual on the pulley side (its usually on the clutch side). Mention vehicle age and details. Keep the text short and to the point, don’t go overboard explaining the agony and mental stress. Mention clearly what you expect from them, after they come up with a thoroughly investigated reason for the oil leak and failure supported by proof (High temp warning logged in the ecm).
sure will do this

-The belt can slip if there is oil between the pulley and the belt.

Quote:
-Was this issue present since the day you bought the car or did it occur after? If they messed up at 60k service it would have been there since day one.
No it was running fine and cabin was as quite as driving a petrol engine

Quote:
-Ask them to replace the oil seal (2.5k), clean the pulleys, correct the timing, install a new belt (5k) and check if the issue is resolved. A tooth or two slip in timing would not require a repair which would warrant the head to be removed to check the valves.
They said they need to remove the head and check for pistons and crank shaft directly after sending me those pics.

Last edited by prguru : 4th April 2021 at 12:52. Reason: Correction
Old 5th April 2021, 16:06   #18
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

To me, a major cause of concern is the excessive play in the timing pulley...

Renault Duster 110 : THUD sound & vibration on engine startup-e3cdaac7da804884813426d37514ded1.jpeg

Can they, Renault explain that? How come they are not talking about that? Why only the belt slip theory.

Also, lower block which houses the oil seal doesn’t have any coolant gallery. If the coolant in the cylinder block would go high on temp to buldge the oil seal, the seal would have melted accompanied by the high temp warning.

They should show bulge/heat damage on oil seal to prove their theory after they explain the play in the pulley.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 17:17   #19
BHPian

As far as i know, toothed belts don't slip unless the teeth have worn out or tensioner is broken or weak. So, i seriously doubt the belt slipping due to oil.

As Tgo has mentioned, it seems that the widened notch in the shaft has changed the timing.
D-nav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 21:05   #20
BHPian

I have another doubt, in the photos I see that the timing pulley is not secured by any kind of nut. I googled and found videos where the timing pulley is secured using a nut and timing belt of my car was changed at 60-64k kms. I seriously doubt if the person who changed the timing forgot to put the nut back and left it open resulting in the the cam shaft's notch to widen. If anybody knows if the timing pulley will be secured by any nut or left open please comment.

Image 1 : From my car ( red arrow to mention where nut should have been put), other images are from google.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster 110 : THUD sound & vibration on engine startup-timing1.jpg  

Renault Duster 110 : THUD sound & vibration on engine startup-img_20210405_203114.jpg  

Renault Duster 110 : THUD sound & vibration on engine startup-img_20210405_200706.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks