Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2013, 13:37   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20 - RPM / Speed freeze

Hi guys,
Have a week old i20 sportz. Since last night have been observing a peculiar problem. In 2nd gear the speed does not go over 20kms nor does the rpm increase even when the accelerator is kept pressed. Speed stuck on 40/60 in 3rd/4th gear. Then there is a sudden surge and everything back to normal. Happens about 80% of the time. Grateful for any inputs.
Thank you

Deepak
Old 21st January 2013, 13:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 - RPM / Speed freeze

Did you fill fuel at an unknown pump? Probably dirt in fuel lines. Check your fuel filter.
Old 21st January 2013, 14:00   #3
BHPian

No Tejas. Had filled at the regular pump. How easy/difficult is it to check the fuel filter?

Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 14:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Any good mechanic or your petrol service fellow can check it for you if you don't know how to do it for yourself.

Did this happen after filling a full tank? Did you allow your tank to go down to reserve before doing a full tank. If yes, then it's most probably the dirt issue.
Old 21st January 2013, 14:20   #5
BHPian

The car was delivered with barely any fuel after which I topped up. And yes this has happened when the fuel had almost touched reserve. Thank you very much Tejas.
Old 21st January 2013, 14:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest you take it to the Hyundai workshop and get them to do the needful. Car is still under warrantee.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 15:53   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Is this a diesel or a petrol?

Turbo pipe come off, or damaged by rats? Happened to me once and the symptoms were exactly the same.

Since it's a brand new car, the only other thing I can think of is a sensor gone bad somewhere.

Can you try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery? See if that does the trick.

P.S. You didn't fill the wrong fuel in your new car, right?
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 16:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 - RPM / Speed freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Hi guys,
Have a week old i20 sportz. Since last night have been observing a peculiar problem. In 2nd gear the speed does not go over 20kms nor does the rpm increase even when the accelerator is kept pressed. Speed stuck on 40/60 in 3rd/4th gear. Then there is a sudden surge and everything back to normal. Happens about 80% of the time. Grateful for any inputs.
Thank you

Deepak
Same thing has happened to me as well. 90% chances are that it's bad fuel. I let the car idle for some time and then raise it to 4000 rpm for a few seconds and then let it idle for some time again. Did it thrice and then shut down the engine. Let it cool down. Some 5-6 hours later, do it again. Let the car idle for some time, then slowly raise the RPM till 4000, keep it there for 4-5 seconds and bring it back to idle. Do this thrice. Next day follow this process again, just once.

If at all it's the bad fuel that's causing this issue - something blocking the injectors, this method should clear out the problem and you should be good to go!

Hope that helps.
9thsphinx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 16:17   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Hi guys,
Thank you

Deepak
As its driven by wire technology, check the accelerator potentiometer.
Rajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 16:20   #10
BHPian

Thank you 9thsphinx. Shall follow your advice and get back. Sounds similar to what we used to do on our Yezdis in the good old days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is this a diesel or a petrol?

Turbo pipe come off, or damaged by rats? Happened to me once and the symptoms were exactly the same.

Since it's a brand new car, the only other thing I can think of is a sensor gone bad somewhere.

Can you try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery? See if that does the trick.

P.S. You didn't fill the wrong fuel in your new car, right?
It is Diesel. Shall try resetting the battery too. Thank you

No did not fill wrong fuel.

Thank you so much!

Note from Support - Please use the multi-quote feature to reply to multiple posts instead of creating back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd January 2013 at 11:39. Reason: posts merged
Old 23rd January 2013, 17:19   #11
BHPian

The issue has been resolved after revving. Hence in all probabilities it must have been due to the dirt issue. Thank you all for all your valuable inputs. Appreciate it.
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:09   #12
BHPian

Sorry for bumping up this old thread.

Yesterday after a gap of around 4 days, I tried cranking my 2011 i20 (P). The engine came to life in the first crank itself but suddenly the RPM started to fall below the ~900rpm idle mark and started stuttering with RPM dropping to around 500RPM. I was puzzled and I tried revving the engine with some A pedal input. It stuttered for a couple of seconds and then was behaving normally with expected response to throttle inputs. I even went out for some work and covered around 15kms without any incident. I usually never use the car much and this 4 day gap was pretty normal. Also the battery is stock and is now 3 yrs and 7 months old.

I will put forward some events in the past 4 days and I want BHPians to comment whether any of those could be the reason.

1) Thanks to the Auto lighting thread where there were DIYs to replace those boring filament bulbs to bright LEDs, I purchased a festoon bulb from EBAY and tried replacing the luggage lamp.
2) I had tried cabin light replacement earlier and it was easy and I did not face any problems with this part
3) This time, while replacing the luggage light, I accidentally caused a short circuit since I tried prying the old filament bulb using a screw driver (it was fixed rather tightly between two terminals and I would have unwittingly shorted the circuit with the screw driver.
4) Referred the Hyundai manual and checked the fuse box in the cabin and found the 10 A Fuse named 'ROOM' was burnt. This particular fuse is responsible for the following controls as per the manual. (RR HTD Relay, Door Warning Switch, Instrument Cluster, RR HTD Relay, Door Warning Switch, Instrument Cluster, Trip Computer, Tire Pressure Monitoring Module, BCM, A/C Control Module, Luggage Lamp, Overhead Console Assembly, Front Room Lamp, Center Room Lamp).
5) Went to the nearby HASS and bought one fuse and replaced it and all was well. Note that I did not try cranking the car after this exercise. I only checked for the lights and since they worked, locked up the car and forgot all about it.

Yesterday, when I crank up the car, I faced the stuttering issue mentioned above. Now this has got me thinking whether I had unintentionally messed up with the electronics. I am more worried because I am planning a trip to Bangalore this weekend and don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. I tried calling up the SA and he said everything shud be ok. Stuttering may b because of fuel or since there was a short, battery would have lost considerable charge and the starter motor did not get the correct cranking RPM.

Request expert opinions on this please. Was it a stray incident or is my battery nearing th end of the lifecycle and the shorting episode was just a coincidence.

Last edited by racer_ash : 22nd October 2014 at 12:31. Reason: added additional info
Old 23rd October 2014, 17:06   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I tried calling up the SA and he said everything shud be ok. Stuttering may b because of fuel or since there was a short, battery would have lost considerable charge and the starter motor did not get the correct cranking RPM.
If the battery would have lost the charge and got weak then the car wouldn't have started in the first crank. Right?!

I guess this incident would be due to the gap and may be fuel quality issue or some such thing and nothing related to electricals. If you in doubt, once check the fuses in the box and see if they are fine or no.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks