Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:22   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Being locked inside a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Still unsure why the motion/pressure sensors did not pick up the movement inside! Can Laura owners clarify?
Coz there ain't any!
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:28   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
What model is the car? Does it have after market central locking fitted? I've come out of my City (2010) several times, with engine started and stopped. The doors don't lock.
It was Honda City ZX GXi 2008 model. Not sure if the central locking was an after market fitting.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC77 View Post
It was Honda City ZX GXi 2008 model. Not sure if the central locking was an after market fitting.
I have the same model - stock, no after market security features. Doors re-lock if and only if unlocked from key and the doors are not opened. It doesn't re-lock in any other case.

Few other points in this model:
1) Doors can be unlocked at any time from inside & from any door.
2) Horn works even if ignition key is removed. Headlight, parking light, indicators also work without key.

BTW, only ways to lock yourself out in this model are:
1) Lock the doors, throw the key in the boot & close the boot.
2) Or, leave the key inside the car and lock the door from outside lifting the door handle latch with knob pressed in.
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:00   #49
BHPian

So it seems that the VWs and the Skoda's have this problem. While one option is hitting the lock button twice within a period of two seconds, that is not something that we normally do and requires a consious effort to change our behavior. The other recommendation of opening the bonnet from inside will not create the alarm noise in the Skoda as the security works on disabling the car than screaming out for help. I'm assuming the above statement and I need to check what happens if actually done. What about the other European cars - Mercs, BMWs, Volvos etc?
From my part, I now do a conscious check of the inside of the car after I lock it. I don’t have a tint on my car and so this is easy.
Old 23rd January 2013, 16:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Tried this in my Manza and it can be opened from inside so a big relief!
Old 23rd January 2013, 16:55   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried it in my Vento highline yesterday. Doors open fine.

Only one odd thing I noticed: when any one of the doors is normally opened (with central locking engaged) the central locking gets disengaged for ALL doors. But when you are opening a door of the locked car from the inside only THAT door gets unlocked. I tried this a number of times and confirmed this.

But no worries as far as safety are concerned. Also Vento has a motion sensor alarm that goes off if somebody gets automatically locked in and is triggered by that person's movement in the car.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 18:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

I know somebody who is paranoid about situations like these. She keeps an Emergency Hammer (link) in the glovebox of her car all the time.

Benefits include the ability of easily shattering glass and cutting through your seatbelt.

On a lighter note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Last month, my 9 year old son was accidently locked inside the car. Luckily I had forgotten my mobile in the car and went back to get it around 5 minutes later.
Wait. Your son was missing, locked in your car, and you went back because you forgot your mobile?
anekho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 20:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Lineas are notorious for another troublesome security feature, i.e., automatic re-locking if the door is not opened within some 20 seconds or so after remote-opening it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
In your case the cause of locking out is leaving the key in the boot - not auto re-lock feature.
Auto-lock and auto-relock are available even in after-market security systems like Autocop and these nuisances are not restricted to just Linea or Fiat.

Here is another scenario of auto-locking that I faced with my Autocop system which locks the doors 30 seconds after the ignition is ON. If you have the habit of staying outside your car while taking PUC, ensure you roll down the driver side window while you step out if the system has auto lock feature.

While taking PUC, I usually go to their desk after starting the car to give car details and get the certificate while the car is idling and the reading measured. Once, before I got back to the car to turn it off after reading was measured, the auto-lock activated locking me outside the car with the engine running and windows rolled up. Luckily for me, next building was a workshop and the guy there helped open the door. I always remember to roll down the driver side window from then on.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:23   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Auto-lock and auto-relock are available even in after-market security systems like Autocop and these nuisances are not restricted to just Linea or Fiat.

Here is another scenario of auto-locking that I faced with my Autocop system which locks the doors 30 seconds after the ignition is ON.
The 30 second re lock is there in my cars too, but it gets disabled for any door, including boot and bonnet. Also this is a configurable option. One can turn it off in my car.

Speed lock will be a better option than ignotion lock, as the door gets locked once the car starts picking up speed. In both my cars, doors lock at 20kmph. Again, this is a configurable feature, wherein we can choose when the door locks and unlocks. Initially, the maruti chap told me that the doors wont unlock untill key is removed and that is the key reminder Then after going through the manual, I reprogrammed the security system to unlock doors once ignition is off.
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

In Civic, the horn will work even if the vehicle is locked.
Also, it is possible to unlock the car in the normal way, even if it is locked out using the key activation the security system. The behavior slightly differs in the two scenarios;
1. If the key is within the car, or in proximity, the doors will simply unlock if tried from outside.
2. If the key is away from the car, the doors will unlock, but the security alarm will start.
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The 30 second re lock is there in my cars too, but it gets disabled for any door, including boot and bonnet. Also this is a configurable option. One can turn it off in my car.

Speed lock will be a better option than ignotion lock, as the door gets locked once the car starts picking up speed. In both my cars, doors lock at 20kmph. Again, this is a configurable feature, wherein we can choose when the door locks and unlocks. Initially, the maruti chap told me that the doors wont unlock untill key is removed and that is the key reminder Then after going through the manual, I reprogrammed the security system to unlock doors once ignition is off.
Nippon system that comes as OEM in Maruti has the speed-based autolock option but it is not available in the Autocop systems.
Old 24th January 2013, 11:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
I know somebody who is paranoid about situations like these. She keeps an Emergency Hammer (link) in the glovebox of her car all the time.

Benefits include the ability of easily shattering glass and cutting through your seatbelt.
Even I have a small tool that can be used to break glass in both my cars. Personally I dont consider myself being paranoid but its more for safety in worst case scenarios. There have been too many incidents reported in case of flooding and fire where locks failed and people got stuck in there cars. Best option in that situation would be to break glass and get out. With lot more electronics in our modern cars these things can happen.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 12:05   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
- The headlights switch off automatically when you turn off the engine
- The window winders work even if you've turned off the engine and removed the key from the key slot. They work till you open the driver door, and not after that.
- The cabin light switches off automatically after some time , so that it does not drain out the battery if you've left them on by mistake.
- The audio system works in the absence of the keys
- The doors lock automatically if you've not opened the door within xxx secs of unlocking the door.
- The doors lock automatically after you cross 15 kmph.
- The doors unlock automatically if there is accident or a crash.
- All passenger doors can be unlocked from inside , even when locked by the driver using the door lock button, by yanking the lever twice.
- It has an anti hijack feature, where on hitting the unlock button once, only the driver door gets unlocked, remaining doors stay locked. If you want to open them, just hit unlock button twice.
Its the same for my Fabia. I have checked twice. Skoda's a generally very safe cars.
Old 24th January 2013, 13:00   #59
BHPian

Like couple of members have already pointed out, Swift can be opened from inside even when its locked. Just sets the alarm off. That is so much safer in such scenarios.
Tried it in Figo and Quanto, one can get out of both cars without keys if locked inside accidentally.
So is it just the Skoda vehicles which have this feature then? I don't think it makes their cars any more safer and like in this case, can turn out to be dangerous for kids.
Old 24th January 2013, 13:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if you have explained this in an earlier post. But just how did your son manage to lock himself up? Accidentally does not really explain things much :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks