Team-BHP - What to do if your Engine Overheats on the road
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   What to do if your Engine Overheats on the road (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/131650-what-do-if-your-engine-overheats-road-33.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimz (Post 5626790)

The car's radiator fan keeps running even after the car is parked in the garage. And sometimes starts beeping. This happens almost every other day.

It is indeed perfectly normal for the engine fan to stay on for a few minutes after you have turned off your car’s ignition. However, if it stays longer, then its a point of concern. Is it a Turbo charged engine ?

Quote:

Their driver fills up the radiator with tap water. When asked to use coolant. He says no need.
Now this is a serious concern. If the driver has a regular habit of filling the tap water in the closed cooling system (Severe corrosion problem could arise), then I'm afraid to say that you might have some serious problem related to the engine. Keep the engine idle for 3-4 mins and check the tailpipe smoke, also check your engine oil for any emulsification. If water is leaking to the engine block.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NomadSK (Post 5626834)
It is indeed perfectly normal for the engine fan to stay on for a few minutes after you have turned off your car’s ignition. However, if it stays longer, then its a point of concern. Is it a Turbo charged engine ?

Yes. It is a turbo charged diesel engine. I myself have a Ford Fiesta diesel and I am aware of the engine fan being on a for less than a minute.. I wait for it to wind down and turn off the ignition. But here, after turning off the ignition the fan is on for like a full 2-3 mins (i can hear it kinda strain). And then the alarm / beep beep sound comes on. Pressing the Lock / unlock on the key fob stops it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NomadSK (Post 5626834)
Now this is a serious concern. If the driver has a regular habit of filling the tap water in the closed cooling system (Severe corrosion problem could arise), then I'm afraid to say that you might have some serious problem related to the engine. Keep the engine idle and check the tail smoke, also check your engine oil for any emulsification. If water is leaking to the engine block.

This is what am concerned about. The driver has told my sis/ BIL not to worry. This has been the case now for like 5-6 months. :( Am here for the long weekend. Thinking of taking it to a Shell fuel station and getting the coolant filled.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

With over 1L on odo, it is time to clean/replace the radiator, hoses and may be the temperature sensor.

Though it is normal for fan to be on after switching the engine off, it should not keep running for more than 30 minutes.

Hi all,
We have an Alto K10 AMT. It is a November 2017 model which we purchased from True Value in 2019.
The reading on the odometer is currently 41772 km.
The car was last serviced at 40062 km on 28 September 2023.
In the last one month it's been driven about 1700 km and the break-up of the drive is 70% highways and 30% city.
It is serviced at a FNG.
Today I noticed after opening the bonnet that the coolant level has already reached low mark.
The car I feel heats more in bumper to bumper traffic and very less when driven on Highways. Please explain this phenomenon.

In just 1700 km the coolant has reached its low mark. Should I be concerned about this?
The coolant was drained and replaced during the service.
How can this happen in just 1700 km and about a month?
What are the reasons for this to happen and how should I take care going forward?
Thanks.
Abhinav

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhinav V (Post 5653422)
.....The coolant was drained and replaced during the service.
What are the reasons for this to happen and how should I take care....

Check for leaks, especially where the hoses are clamped. I had faced similar issue after cleaning coolant reservoir and the culprit was a slightly loose fitted clamp.

Keep an eye on the temp gauge; loss od coolant will result in higher operating temperature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhinav V (Post 5653422)
Today I noticed after opening the bonnet that the coolant level has already reached low mark.
The car I feel heats more in bumper to bumper traffic and very less when driven on Highways. Please explain this phenomenon.

In just 1700 km the coolant has reached its low mark. Should I be concerned about this?
The coolant was drained and replaced during the service.
What are the reasons for this to happen and how should I take care going forward?

The phenomenon is simple to explain. On the highway, the gushing air is helping the engine to cool down, which is not the case in bumper to bumper traffic.

My car's radiator started leaking after a pressure wash. Not only that, even the silencer developed a hole. I never get my car pressure washed since then.

Also see if you are measuring the level correctly. On a cold engine, the level should be between the max and min marks on the reservoir. This marking is below mid level of the reservoir making it appear that the coolant is less, which is not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 5653531)
Check for leaks, especially where the hoses are clamped. I had faced similar issue after cleaning coolant reservoir and the culprit was a slightly loose fitted clamp.

Keep an eye on the temp gauge; loss od coolant will result in higher operating temperature.

Went to the FNG today to get the issue sorted.
The mechanic opened the hood and checked the coolant tank. It was full.
Then when he opened the coolant reservoir, he said there was some airgap/air got sucked something like that and then topped up the reservoir with more coolant and water and said the issue won't happen again.
After a month's gap I am going to check the coolant level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhinav V (Post 5654764)
...he said there was some airgap/air got sucked something like that and then topped up the reservoir with more coolant and water and said the issue won't happen again....

Hopefully he is right. When the coolant reservoir is removed for cleaning or flushing, there is a likelihood of this happening. My FNG told me keep an eye on this, and said that after the engine cools down, the level will drop and I have to top it up. Sometimes air gets trapped in the hoses when dismantled; the quick check usually done by garages after coolant change is to check whether the pressure builds up in the expansion stage (hot coolant circulating in the reservoir builds pressure inside, I guess). They aren't fastidious about the tight fit or air inside the hoses, I guess.

I have and old Polo with the first gen 1.2 l NA engine that has run 105000 km, and today I did the stupid thing of running over a large speed breaker at good speed.

Both the oil and shocks were leaking after this excursion. I didn't realise it was oil, I drove for a few km when I saw the temperature warning blinking. My home was 2-3 km away, i somehow reached home. Very near to the home, oil warning Also started to appear. Thankfully, No steam /smell in engine bay.

My questions are,
would there be any permanent damage?
Can I just refill the oil and drive to a garage? The Parking is underground and towing vehicles can't enter.

I am scared of starting the car again as I am a fairly new driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guru_max (Post 5721606)
The Parking is underground and towing vehicles can't enter.

Hard to say how much damage there is - why risk it by starting the car?

Depending on how steep the ramp is, ask an appropriate number of neighbours/friends/workers for help, push the car out without starting it and then call a tow truck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guru_max (Post 5721606)

My questions are,
would there be any permanent damage?
Can I just refill the oil and drive to a garage? The Parking is underground and towing vehicles can't enter.

Check the dipstick now. No oil should be visible.

If towing vehicle cannot enter, fill the oil and take it to the place where towing vehicle can come. It would be 100, 200 meters I think. Avoid overfilling to compensate for oil leaks.

Before arranging for towing vehicle etc. Start the car once and switch off immediately. Some cars will not start if a serious problem like 'no engine oil' is detected by the sensors.

Engine damage would have already happened as you drove the car without oil. If this was too short a journey, it will be minumum.