Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2006, 11:45   #1
BANNED

Fiat Palio GTX guzzling engine oil???

Hey, A few months back I had posted about my car drinking engine oil at the rate of about 1 ltr per 2000 kms ... thought there was a leak someplace but cudnt find it and mechanics told me there was nothing wrong !!! But now the oil is vanishing at the rate of 1 ltr per 1000 kms .. was gonna get it checked afer returning from Himachal . But while I was there a guy who is a member of Palio Users Group on yahoo called me as he had a similar problem , he went and gave the car to Fiat work shop and they opened the engine and made an estimate of about 60K !! He called me to warn me and suggested I either sell my car asap or figure out what to do ... so I rushed down to Chandigarh to a friend who has a workshop and he checked the engine and said that I probably heated up the car sometime and thats what lead to the damage and he woudl have to oppen her and probably change the rings, gasket, etc and that would get the car back into shape .....

Now I wanna ask the pro's here as to what shud I do .... ??? Get it worked upon or just dump it ... my heart doesnt want to let her go !! Also any other GTX owner having a similar problem as I believe this is a common problem with the GTX ... HELP !!!

Cheers
Old 10th May 2006, 12:05   #2
BHPian

What did you do with her??? How much KM reading on the odo?

Well see it is a good car, and about the works, seeing the problem it seems that they are needed. J ust remember, though a opened up engine is never = a new engine, if it is done by a good mechanic, is almost good enough. But not so good one can ruine the engine.

It's your call. If you decide to keep her just make sure a knowledgeable mechanic works on the engine. not his assistent.
Old 10th May 2006, 12:12   #3
BANNED

Hey, Its odo reading is only 64000 kms and I've been told that its probably due to over heating and that happened only once !!! I got a Autometer temp gauge fitted and that bugger messed up the wiring and it lead to the car over heating ... and thats the only time I remember her heating up so I guess thats the reason .....

Psycho, u around to offer your advise .... need it !!!

Cheers
Old 10th May 2006, 12:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is there 'visible 'smoke from the exhaust?
Old 10th May 2006, 12:32   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Is there 'visible 'smoke from the exhaust?
Hey, There is no visible smoke from the exhaust but if you run ur finger around the inside of the exhaust its black !!

Why do u ask ??

Cheers
Old 10th May 2006, 12:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

1) Does your car run out of coolant too (if so it is your head gasket and maybe rings)

2) Just add STP oil treatment and see if it slows down the oil guzzling. ( assuming that you are not loosing coolant, would mean that your rings are to be replaced, same repair as above)

I both the cases i am assuming that there is no oil leak.
Old 10th May 2006, 12:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Generally, if the engine is consuming oil, its because of something called 'reverse compression' where oil gets sucked into the combustion chamber.WEll, not very sure with the theory.

So, my advice is to check the engine's compression.
After that, u might need to rebuild the engine if necessary.

Now coming to the cost,my tata sumo's engine rebuild worked out to 24,000 bucks excluding labour.So, i guess 60,000 rupees for a 1.6ltr DOHC fiat engine rebuild is quite realistic.
If u have contacts, try sourcing the original fiat rebuild spares from the open market instead of going to the FIAT service.U might save around 10 to 15%.But, u'll need a good mech too.

If all this sounds worthless, then u'll just have to let go of ur baby.So, good luck,bro!

Last edited by nitrous : 10th May 2006 at 12:53.
Old 10th May 2006, 12:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Generally, if the engine is consuming oil, its because of something called 'reverse compression' where oil gets sucked into the combustion chamber.WEll, not very sure with the theory.

So, my advice is to check the engine's compression.

After that, u might need to rebuild the engine if necessary.

and hence you get smokey exhaust right?
Old 10th May 2006, 12:55   #9
BHPian

i had the same problem on my Nissan Bluebird..
but for me it drank about 1Ltr for 2-3K...

well didnt do any work on it...
had sold it off,..
Old 10th May 2006, 20:48   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
1) Does your car run out of coolant too (if so it is your head gasket and maybe rings)

2) Just add STP oil treatment and see if it slows down the oil guzzling. ( assuming that you are not loosing coolant, would mean that your rings are to be replaced, same repair as above)

I both the cases i am assuming that there is no oil leak.
Hey, SPOT ON as usual ... Checked thoroughly for leaks but none spotted any where . Coolant level drops as well . So I head to Goa for the meet and my car heads to Chandigarh to a work shop for a change of rings and gasket !! Once opened will check for damage to sleeves and if any will get those changed as well ... All i pray for is that the car is back to being as good as it is now ....

Cheers
Old 11th May 2006, 13:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Also any other GTX owner having a similar problem as I believe this is a common problem with the GTX ... HELP !!!

Cheers
Hey Khaddu,
I am planning on picking up a GTX, where did u read the fact that this is a common problem with the GTX, or did someone tell you this?

M
Old 11th May 2006, 18:25   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80
Hey Khaddu,
I am planning on picking up a GTX, where did u read the fact that this is a common problem with the GTX, or did someone tell you this?

M
Hey, I personally know of one GTX thats at the Fiat workshop and he has his cars engine opened up as he was facing a similar problem , by the end his car was consuming oil at 1 ltr per 100 kms or so . I spoke with him and he told me of two other cars that he knows have had the same problem occuring around the 50K mark !!!

Dunno if its a problem with the GTX or is it due to siomething else that this is happening ...

Cheers
Old 12th May 2006, 02:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dnt know about GTX but I had to get my Uno 1.2 ELX overhauled at 60 K mark....I had white smoke in exhaust if I depressed the acclerator half way through...no smoke otherwise...
My father's 800 has crossed a lakh with no engine work at all...guess its got a bit to do with driving styles also....if you race the engine too much...it gives up sooon.....after all the Rally car engines barely lst the rally and the F1 engine needs a rebuild evey race
Old 12th May 2006, 03:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

You can try doing the head gasket and see if it helps.

COmpression check will tell you if you need rings.
Old 19th October 2011, 12:38   #15
BHPian

Issue with Palio 1.6 GTX Engine oil levels dropping

Hi Guys,
Posting this on behalf of my friend who owns a Palio 1.6 (2001 model), covered 86000 Kms so far.Recently observed that the engine oil levels are dropping within 500 Kms of driving.Checked for leaks and found none.Daily drive is around 10 kms, and the car is well maintained.Not sure if this is a known issue with 1.6, any ideas, what could be the cause?Experts here, your opinions pls

thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks