Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 19:56   #1
BHPian

Mobil 1 vs. Delvac 1 (for a diesel)

Hi,

I have a 2008 Hyundai Verna that has clocked about 68,000 km, and is due for an oil change.

After going through the Team-BHP forums, especially the thread about diesel oils, I had decided to fill my car up with Mobil Delvac 1.

However when I'd gone to purchase the oil, multiple shops (Chandrika at Dadar, and City Motor at Opera House) advised me to put Mobil 1 instead.

I was pretty confused, as I'm fairly sure Mobil 1 is a petrol oil, but the box also stated on the back "for BMW Diesel Engines". Both shops tell me that Mobil 1, even for a Hyundai Verna diesel, is the best oil to put.

The forums tell me that Delvac 1 is the best oil to put.

I'm really not sure what to do guys, could someone please help me out

Edit: The prices charged for the oils were
- Mobil 1: Rs 900/litre
- Delvac 1: Rs 750/litre

Last edited by kadanaJ : 28th January 2013 at 19:57.
Old 28th January 2013, 20:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Mobil 1 vs. Delvac 1 (for a diesel)

Delvac 1 is more suitable for diesel engines. Once I tried Mobile 1 after advice from shop owner in my Swift Vdi and did not like it.
abhijitvp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 22:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

I really don't plan to start a "synthetic vs mineral" debate here. But as a Verna owner who's car has done 65K kms, my advise to you would be to save the money and stick to Delvac MX or Shell Helix HX6 mineral oils.

Both Delvac 1 or Delvac MX come with advanced soot-retention properties and offer longer drain intervals. While Delvac 1 is a 5w-40 oil, MX is 15w-40. The lower first number in Delvac 1 means the oil will retain its viscosity better in a temperature range of 5 to 15 degrees C compared to MX. But who ever heard of 5 (or even 15 deg) in Mumbai?

I don't question expert opinions that the synthetic oil will offer better overall performance than the minerals. But IMO, the Delvac MX is really good for all real world tests you can put the Verna engine to, or it is capable of.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 22:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
Delvac 1 is more suitable for diesel engines. Once I tried Mobile 1 after advice from shop owner in my Swift Vdi and did not like it.
Thanks for your help. That's exactly what I was afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
I really don't plan to start a "synthetic vs mineral" debate here. But as a Verna owner who's car has done 65K kms, my advise to you would be to save the money and stick to Delvac MX or Shell Helix HX6 mineral oils.

Both Delvac 1 or Delvac MX come with advanced soot-retention properties and offer longer drain intervals. While Delvac 1 is a 5w-40 oil, MX is 15w-40. The lower first number in Delvac 1 means the oil will retain its viscosity better in a temperature range of 5 to 15 degrees C compared to MX. But who ever heard of 5 (or even 15 deg) in Mumbai?

I don't question expert opinions that the synthetic oil will offer better overall performance than the minerals. But IMO, the Delvac MX is really good for all real world tests you can put the Verna engine to, or it is capable of.
Thanks predator, I'm already well aware that Delvac MX is also extremely good oil (and will save me a lot of money), and should be more than enough for my Verna. The thing is, I want absolutely amazing performance from my car, and I'm willing to pay for it, which is why I'm considering the synthetics.

My question was more related to whether these shop owners know what they're talking about when they're recommending me Mobil 1 for a diesel car (over Delvac), or is it a bunch of bull?
Old 28th January 2013, 23:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Delvac 1 is the best for diesel engines.
Old 29th January 2013, 09:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support - Thread closed. Please discuss further on this thread. Use the search function prior to creating new threads please.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks