Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2006, 19:43   #1
ECM
BHPian

How important this small relay is.......views invited

A small relay for Fuel pump is fitted in every MPFI cars i.e recent ones and most of them are fitted with ecms.NOw see what happened to my friend when his fuel pump went off and.....
He had a horrible experence in his car and he saved well.what happened is suddenly his engine went off resulting in almost a zero brake and hard steering(power break aur power steering ka kamal !!)This happened on a high traffic highway and he had to stop his car by using a hand break though he almost collided with a light pole on the side of the road.Not much damage to his car but this can happen to any of us and perhaps no car markets as per my small knowledge thought about the solution if fuel pump or it relay fails and car go mad after wards.Input plz.

Last edited by ECM : 10th May 2006 at 19:45.
Old 10th May 2006, 19:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its not just about the fuel pump, say for instance the ignition module or the ecm goes youll end up with the same result. You never know with these electronic items, and im sure its no easy feat to make them failproof.
Old 10th May 2006, 21:45   #3
DRC
BHPian

Lets face it .
Quite a few components are critical.
Is n't brake itself critical? all it takes for a failure is a rupture in the brake hose right..
Old 10th May 2006, 21:59   #4
BHPian

true! i faced this problem especially in the ikon !! i mean the brakes become nonexistant if the engine goes off!! that is seriously scary and dangerous!!
i mean the power steering going off is still handlable but the brakes giving way is seriously scary mann!!
Old 10th May 2006, 22:32   #5
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania
true! i faced this problem especially in the ikon !! i mean the brakes become nonexistant if the engine goes off!! that is seriously scary and dangerous!!
i mean the power steering going off is still handlable but the brakes giving way is seriously scary mann!!
Exactly and thats the point of discussion.No matter brake fails or driver get a heart attack while driving but if something l mentioned happens we are in soup!No alternative!
Old 10th May 2006, 22:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

In such a situation, the braking power will obviously reduce considerably. But the safest way to get the car to a standstill is to try to press the brake pedal as firmly as possible, while keeping the car in gear. A non-firing engine will provide more than adequate engine braking. Using the clutch to control the amount of engine braking.

Drifter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks