Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2006, 14:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car Suspension Life

Hi team

are there any specific symptoms that the car suspensions are nearing their end of life. Like excessive body rolls, car twiching over small bumps on slow speeds, i mean one can specifically feel those small bumps and gooses of a road,reduced damping effect etc..

or it is directly related to no. of kilometers a car has done 60k/70k

Thanks
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2006, 14:17   #2
BHPian

very important question, even i was about to post this. gurus ny light on this topic?
naveendhyani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2006, 14:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

The life of a suspension is not dependant on mileage covered. It has more to do with where and how you drive your car.

My car has done 57K kms now, and Honda says the suspension is in great shape. Where as i've seen some other City's showing wear around the 35-40K km mark.

Shan2nu
Old 12th May 2006, 15:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

It depends 90% on the kinda roads u drive on normally. Then the resst depends on how u drive..
Old 12th May 2006, 15:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

well say 90% roads are typically pot holed.. (eg. Pune Roads) and due to these roads u really cant push the car to above 40-50-kmph in a city + little highway conditions.. people tend to dig roads according to their own conviniences here, there everywhere...( i wish the road tax we pay were actually used to build good roads, and not the pockets of buerocrats )

The point here is that considering, you take out your car almost every day for in these conditions eg 40km ..what are the wearing signs of a suspensions.

Long OEM suspension life for 80K is a different ball game for the lucky guy who drives on a good road, with <5% potholes / breaking neck speedbreakers..
Old 12th May 2006, 15:42   #6
BHPian

That is a good question. The suspention of the car does not depend on the mileage. It depends on where and how you drive the car.
You can make out if that the suspension is bad by only feeling the roads bumps when you drive.
The car will have more vibration even on the roads with even little stones.

Last edited by SDP : 4th December 2017 at 20:17. Reason: typo
Old 12th May 2006, 16:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think the qustion was what the SYMPTOMS of weakening suspension are.... not the causes for it... (has to be the road!! )

Last edited by kb100 : 12th May 2006 at 16:27.
Old 12th May 2006, 17:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Here you go, symptoms.

Unsual noise from the suspension.
Handling will almost always go to the dogs.
Abnormal tyre wear.
Frequent bottoming out.

Thats all i can think of right now. My rear struts packed up at 65k kms. Front struts are fine. From what i've seen, even if your car is not overloaded, been driven on mostly smooth roads...your suspension components will start deteriorating by the 60-70k mark.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 12th May 2006 at 17:41.
drifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2006, 11:39   #9

IMHO, symptoms when you are driving are suspension bottoming frequently even for small potholes. But i feel, by this time, suspension may already be quite badly gone. One way to periodically check this is by pressing down quickly and hard on the 4 corners of the car and observe A) how much force is needed to push it down and B) how does it spring back up. With this method, unless you are familiar about how it felt when the car was new, it may be hard to tell when you check now. So always compare with a new car of the same model . Experts, please tell us how the response should be when tested in the above method. Also, what kind of noise should i be looking for from a worn out suspension?
Old 15th May 2006, 19:57   #10
BHPian

A great thread. Very informative i should add!
prince85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2006, 12:02   #11
BHPian

My Baleno's suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Here you go, symptoms.

Unsual noise from the suspension.
Drifter
My right front suspension makes a hiss noise as i get on a speed breaker or a pot hole, but my car is done only 13K KMS, as if it' pumping air out...but the same noise doesn't come on the left side...what could be the issue..is it normal... other than that it's in great shape, the car does not roll, it's fine ... but just the noise...i feel it's just that the gas shocks are like this?
Old 16th May 2006, 14:07   #12
BHPian

Pressing on the corners usually checks the shoks not the whole suspension. when you press hard on them and release the car bounces back. If the scocks are good it should not bounce around more than 2-3 times, any more check the shocks.

About the hissing sound, just check the rubber kits looks like they are dry, a coat of gear oil in the suspension bits should sort it out.

when driving check it the suspension mates too much of squeaking noise, it is a sure giveaway of a worn out suspension.

By the way if air Shock absorbers were used the hissing will come from all the wheels not only one wheel.

I must admitt with my limited knowledge of lower end cars, I donot know if the high end cars use gas shocks or not, but as far as I know, no indian cars use them.
Old 16th May 2006, 20:09   #13
BHPian

Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi
I donot know if the high end cars use gas shocks or not, but as far as I know, no indian cars use them.
Hmmm.... all this while i thought Baleno has gas filled shocks...can some one confirm this to me please?
Old 16th May 2006, 22:24   #14
BHPian

A quick add-on, from my limited knowledge - atleast Tata Indigo Marina is blessed with gas shockers. Though I must add that I do not know how to tell if they are working or not. I would get my suspension system for a check if
1. I sense the beaviour of the suspension has changed- bottoming out, sound even on small pot holes.
2. Unusual noise from suspension
3.extra roll

Thanks
Old 17th May 2006, 11:07   #15
BHPian

I got confused with Gas shocks with the air suspensions used in some highly luxurious busses. However A gas shock will never make a hissing sound, sind the gas is usually pressurised nitrogen in a sealed compartment inside the shock, so it has no means to escape.

You can reffer to the follwing link.

h**p://*w*.whiteline.com.au/default.asp?page=/faqshocks01.htm

Most Viewed