Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2006, 00:27   #1
BHPian

Double Clutching... how many of us do this? any disadvantages?

I had learned this technique when I first started driving and have been practicing it for as long as I remember... It is a little tuff at first but once you get it its pretty simple (I am sure who double clutch will agree with me).

I always wonder if there is any downside of double clutching? any drivers here who double clutch that care to share their experience or findings?

For the audience that is not aware of this technique... here is a brief explanation:

Normal Shifting: Press Clutch > Shift into gear > Release Clutch
Double Clutch Shifting:

Upshift: Press Clutch > Shift to nuteral > Release Clutch > wait for a split second for engine to slow down (RPM to come down) > Press Clutch > Shift into gear > Release Clutch

Downshift: > Press Clutch > Shift to nuteral > Rev a little to raise RPM (so engine speed it upto where it should be for the lower gear) > Press Clutch > Shift into Gear > Release Clutch

It only takes split of a second (less then half a second) for the engine speed to match the speed of the gears. It sounds complicated but with practice it really doesnt take that long and you really dont loose any time shifting.

Advantages: Saves the wear and tear on gear box, clutch, clutch plate.. etc

Dis-advantage:
???

P.S. I did a search for this topic in the forum and couldnt find anything so I started a new thread... if there is an existing thread then MODS please merge this. Thanks!
Old 13th May 2006, 00:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are a few threads regarding double-clutching.
I also remember reading that modern cars don't need that, not that its bad but doesn't make a difference.
Old 13th May 2006, 00:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

TBHP : Whats double clutching and whats the reason to use it?

cya
R
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks