Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Honda City - Fuel Gauge Problem

Hi,

I own a Honda City IVTEC V- MT (2010) model. It was doing fine till last week and had not given me any problems as such.

Last week I refueled at one of the bunk and realized that my fuel guage has not moved even after filling 10 ltrs of petrol. I immediately contacted one of my trusted mechanic and explained him about the problem. He advised to change the fuel guage as it may have been faulty and not showing correct quantity of fuel. He replaced the fuel guage.

It worked fine for couple of days but started showing the same problem again. Its really difficult as its stops functioning in the middle of the road and kept
me guessing the amount of fuel left in the tank and the distance I could cover.

Need a advise on what could be the possible issue. I do frequent highway runs (twice a week) and its really irritating.

Has anyone faced the same problem ?

Thanks.
Old 5th March 2013, 11:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda City - Fuel Gauge Problem

Sounds like a problem with the fuel level float which is located inside the fuel tank and is a part of the fuel pump. Get that checked.
vikram_d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 11:10   #3
BANNED

I suggest you contact a HASS. Could be some thing as a loose wire or reprogramming the ECU.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 12:26   #4
BHPian

Had the same thing happen to my Accord. It was traced to a wire bitten by a rat! Didn't change anything, the wire was patched by HASS at my home itself no money charged under warranty (Even though it was a rat).
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 14:09   #5
BHPian

Re: Honda City - Fuel Gauge Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Had the same thing happen to my Accord. It was traced to a wire bitten by a rat! Didn't change anything, the wire was patched by HASS at my home itself no money charged under warranty (Even though it was a rat).
Even I suspect some wiring problem. Anyways i have already been charged for fuel guage replacement by my mechanic.

I will take my car to HASS immediately. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 17th September 2013, 15:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
Hi,

Last week I refueled at one of the bunk and realized that my fuel guage has not moved even after filling 10 ltrs of petrol. I immediately contacted one of my trusted mechanic and explained him about the problem. He advised to change the fuel guage as it may have been faulty and not showing correct quantity of fuel. He replaced the fuel guage.

Thanks.
10 liters of petrol should move the fuel gauge anyways even if the fuel is way past the low fuel lamp indicator point. The manual says that the low fuel lamp comes on with 8 liters of fuel in the tank.
And do get it checked by the HASS. They should fix it easily.

Last edited by Baddychat : 17th September 2013 at 15:03. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 17th September 2013, 16:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
Need a advise on what could be the possible issue. I do frequent highway runs (twice a week) and its really irritating.

Has anyone faced the same problem ?

Thanks.

Hi Amit,

I have started facing similar issue after installing CNG kit in my I-Vtec(2009). However it works perfectly fine when running 100% on Petrol.
Pl update if you have found a resolution.
Old 18th September 2013, 21:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHCP View Post
Hi Amit,

I have started facing similar issue after installing CNG kit in my I-Vtec(2009). However it works perfectly fine when running 100% on Petrol.
Pl update if you have found a resolution.
How will your default fuel gauge shows what is in CNG tank.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
How will your default fuel gauge shows what is in CNG tank.
I dont expect the fuel gauge to show the level of CNG in the tank. What i really meant was "The Fuel indicator(petrol) dips even when the CAR is run completely on CNG.The indicator shows empty with more than half tank of Petrol".
Old 19th September 2013, 13:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Best to get it looked at by the workshop guys , and as quickly as possible before it starts acting even more inconsistently.

Quote:
I dont expect the fuel gauge to show the level of CNG in the tank. What i really meant was "The Fuel indicator(petrol) dips even when the CAR is run completely on CNG.The indicator shows empty with more than half tank of Petrol".
Old 19th September 2013, 14:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Best to get it looked at by the workshop guys , and as quickly as possible before it starts acting even more inconsistently.
The Service Advisor at HASS said similar issues are reported with many other I-Vtecs after CNG conversion and nothing can be done at HASS.
Old 19th September 2013, 17:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

What exactly do they expect you to do then to solve the problem , or are they implying that nothing can be done to solve the problem? I would insist on them replacing whatever is required atleast...?

Quote:
The Service Advisor at HASS said similar issues are reported with many other I-Vtecs after CNG conversion and nothing can be done at HASS.
Old 19th September 2013, 18:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
What exactly do they expect you to do then to solve the problem , or are they implying that nothing can be done to solve the problem? I would insist on them replacing whatever is required atleast...?
When run on 100% Petrol, the fuel gauge behaves properly. It only that even when running on CNG, the indicator dips as if the car is burning Petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks