Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 13:18   #1
BHPian

Ford Fiesta: Wiring Harness Damaged

My fiesta right hand side headlight was not functioning properly. It seemed like a wiring loose contact as the bulbs will light up or off when i go over some bumpy roads, but remain on most of the time. Since i don't take out my car much and the service was due this month i thought of addressing the issue at that time. I took it to the service center today and the SA after inspecting the issue said that the wiring has cut off and it is not covered under warranty and he dropped the bombshell saying that it will cost around 24K to replace the entire wiring harness. I am not sure what to do. I have kept the entire car stock for the sake of warranty and the car is in its last year of extended warranty(4th year). Please advise me on what to do. For the time being the mechanic has adjusted the wiring harness. Is there any other alternatives that i can go for?

Last edited by RajeswaranK7 : 19th March 2013 at 13:19. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 19th March 2013, 13:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta: Wiring Harness Damaged

The SA is right, Ford doesnt provide small bits and pieces and its the whole wiring harness that they provide. Rather strange, considering I too was asked to shell out ~24 k for a simple bulb holder.

However, there is NO NEED to change the whole wiring harness. Go to a good electrition and he will fix the issue for 50 bucks. It is the simple, safe and cost effective solution.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 13:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The SA is right, Ford doesnt provide small bits and pieces and its the whole wiring harness that they provide. Rather strange, considering I too was asked to shell out ~24 k for a simple bulb holder.

However, there is NO NEED to change the whole wiring harness. Go to a good electrition and he will fix the issue for 50 bucks. It is the simple, safe and cost effective solution.
@dhanushs
I was thinking of upgrading the headlights to higher powered ones, but was waiting for the extended warranty to get completed. But this incident has left me sore. Now i need to find a competent electician to fix the issue, if i do so, will it affect the warranty on other electrical components?
Old 19th March 2013, 15:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
it will cost around 24K to replace the entire wiring harness.
Dealers policy is always to replace rather than repair. Years ago, my Palio's fan was grazing the frame. When the problem was diagnosed, the dealer said they need to change the entire fan assembly-cost Rs 20000!

I took it to the local electrician - and a few well directed knocks on the frame set things right for good - all for Rs 150!
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 16:44   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Fiesta: Wiring Harness Damaged

I'm curious to know why the wiring harness has gotten damaged / cut off in less than 4 years of ownership. Even today's biodegradable harnesses easily last 10 years at the very minimum.

1. Did rats chew the wiring off?

2. Has it prematurely aged? In this case, it's Ford's responsibility.

3. Was any repair work performed on the car? If so, it's the dealer's responsibility.

Ruling out after-market alterations as you specifically posted against opting for them.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 17:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Dealers policy is always to replace rather than repair.
Seriously i am finding it hard to digest this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm curious to know why the wiring harness has gotten damaged / cut off in less than 4 years of ownership. Even today's biodegradable harnesses easily last 10 years at the very minimum.

1. Did rats chew the wiring off?

2. Has it prematurely aged? In this case, it's Ford's responsibility.

3. Was any repair work performed on the car? If so, it's the dealer's responsibility.

Ruling out after-market alterations as you specifically posted against opting for them.
Some time back, the right hand side low beam light was not functioning, so i took it to the service center, they replaced the bulb. This was the only repair work that i am aware off and i am the only person who drives the car. Today when i asked for the cause of the harness failure, my SA said it has been cut off and directly connected to the bulb holder and he asked me if i had perform any repair work from local workshops. Seriously this thing eats my head.

Last edited by RajeswaranK7 : 19th March 2013 at 17:32. Reason: corrected typo
Old 19th March 2013, 20:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously i am finding it hard to digest this!!

Some time back, the right hand side low beam light was not functioning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In this specific case (Fiesta), the low beam bulb is put on a holder which again is powered by a socket.

This holder/bulb/socket if not properly and tightly fixed, will gradually start to heat up and rust will start to form, damaging the socket/holder. The holder alone cant be replaced, and that is when guys resort to cutting the wires and stuff.

Otherwise, I don't think the wires would get damaged, unless, like GTO mentioned, rats chewed them off.
Old 19th March 2013, 20:40   #8
BHPian

I have a Figo, and had similar issues with my Car's Low Beam headlight. I can just hope its not something similar. I have no after market modifications. Only change I did was to get the Fogs fitted at the Dealership at time of delivery of the car, and a change of bulbs (stock wattage, so hopefully no warranty issues there).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3070136

Last edited by dhinchak : 19th March 2013 at 20:41.
Old 19th March 2013, 22:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

24 K for wiring harness, and that too only for malfunctioning headlamps??? This is daylight robbery!

Why don't you escalate to Ford HQ at Chennai? Make sure you tell them that you've got your car serviced regularly with the dealer and have not tampered with any electricals. Also tell them that the A.S.S. had resorted to some makeshift wire-cutting earlier.
Old 27th March 2013, 18:11   #10
BHPian

Sorry guys, i was away on travel and couln't reply on time(someone banged the car from behind when i had parked it, posted it in the insurance thread). I think i have zero'd in on the issue, thanks to my brother. Almost 2 years back he took the car to Madurai for a trip and had the ABS warning light crop up there. Our driver took the car to the Ford workshop for fixing the issue. The SA called my brother and had informed that the ABS sensor wire is damaged most probably by a rat and they don't have a replacement part in hand, so he is patching it up as a fix and no issues will crop up. So my guess it that the wiring harness would have been cut at that point to fix the ABS issue. I need to confirm this. But if the wiring harness is already cut, will any patch work done on it will cause warranty issues? is there any other options for me??
Old 27th March 2013, 18:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

If the dealer/service center patched it last time, then it must be covered under warranty. You should have the job card from this ABS incident. Can you scan it and upload here? And more importantly, if the service guys used common sense (and patched the wiring instead of any expensive and un-necessary replacement) while fixing the ABS issue, why can't they use it (common sense) now for the headlamp?
Old 27th March 2013, 19:11   #12
BHPian

@anandpadhye
They are two different dealers, the guy who patched up is in Madurai and the one with whom i am servicing the car is in Chennai. The guy here refuses to do any patch work. I am not sure if the ABS wire was damaged by rats or it was due to any other issue, I am now searching for the service invoice from the Madurai visit, will update once i get hold of it.

Last edited by RajeswaranK7 : 27th March 2013 at 19:19.
Old 25th April 2013, 15:31   #13
BHPian

Issue resolved :-)

After the body shop work was complete gave the car for service @ MPL Pallikaranai. Noticed that the RHS headlight leveling is not working, so informed the Mr.Satish (my usual SA ) there along with a host of other things to be checked. After 2 days I got a call saying that the RHS headlight has to be replaced under warranty, but the part availability might be an issue. I took the car with the issue intact asking him to inform once its available. On Tuesday this week i called him up and after cheeking came to know that the part is available now and can come and replace it. They replaced the entire assembly and patched up the wiring along with that, so the issue is resolved now. Finally i went there to pick up the car, thanked everyone and was about to leave, the RHS headlight failed to light up again and everyone panicked. One technician stared checking the wires again and his supervisor asked him to check the fuse and voila it was blown. Got it replaced and started off. For the past two days i have been using the car in the night and find the lights to be a big relief. Only issue is that the LHS headlight is old and it shows up.

A big thanks to Mr.Ramesh service manager @ MPL Pallikaranai and my SA Mr.Satish for bringing the issue to a closure.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 18:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Issue resolved :-)

Finally i went there to pick up the car, thanked everyone and was about to leave, the RHS headlight failed to light up again and everyone panicked. One technician stared checking the wires again and his supervisor asked him to check the fuse and voila it was blown. Got it replaced and started off.
Touch wood, that was a close shave! Glad to know that things are fine.
Old 26th April 2013, 19:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Touch wood, that was a close shave! Glad to know that things are fine.
@vnabhi

Yeah, it was a close shave, my heart really sank when i switched on the headlight. For a moment i was sitting there tensed, but the issue was resolved within 10 minutes and i was on my way home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks