Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:12   #1

Clear coat paints

Hi,

Can somebody tell me what are clear coat paints? My car is a Swift Vxi, Azure Grey - is that a clear coat paint? The reason am asking is because I want to be forearmed for small supreficial scratches! I checked the ebay site and all the scratch treatments there proclaim "Shall not harm clear coat paint" etc. Just want to be sure before buying something.

PS - I posted this as a continuum of another thread but got no responses so a new thread..

Thanks,
sushmair.
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:34   #2
BHPian

clear coat is nothing but a clear layer of paint or transparent lacquer that is sprayed on top of the colour.in your case.....azure grey is your paint colour olny but clear coat is the lacquer that layers the paint.these additional coats of clear paint add a luster and protection to the original paint.clear coat only increases paint durability, the luster or shine of car and keeping it away from harmful effects of pollution etc; on the paint.

a silicon coating or polyurethene clear coating on top of the clear is only an added advantage.keeping the car scratch free is next to impossible but it sure helps in keeping the paint layer safe.only the polish might get affected in small scratches.deep scratches will surely reach the paint surface since these coats of clear are very thin.
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:49   #3
BANNED

Clear coat is the best option for better looks and if you want to protect (to some extent) the metallic paint.

Anyways, it's better than the crappy Teflon coating and also it's cheaper and lasts longer than the "so called" Teflon coating.
Old 23rd May 2006, 15:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushmair
My car is a Swift Vxi, Azure Grey - is that a clear coat paint? The reason am asking is because I want to be forearmed for small supreficial scratches! I checked the ebay site and all the scratch treatments there proclaim "Shall not harm clear coat paint" etc. Just want to be sure before buying something.
yes, yours is a clear coated car. Almost all the high end cars come with clear coat these days. Be wary of the scratch removers though... what ever the company says, it can still be harmfull for your clear coat. The best option will be to get a Turtle Scratch remover.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks