Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 15:17   #16
BHPian

Hi,

I have a turbo DLX.
Run : 3000 km
kpl : 17 with 50 % AC and 80 % city driving
Max speed reached : 140 for 20 kms at a stretch on thr expressway mainting ambient temp of 20 degress inside with fan speed in the second position .
Loaded : 4 people with luggage.

and I have not even opened the bonnet once !!

Sameer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Hmm....two Indica Turbo damages in a small time. Both being sparingly used.
Maybe its just something wrong with TATA's turbo
Old 22nd May 2006, 17:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the fuel pump. We had a similar issue with our 04 Indigo LX.. The fuel pump setting is very delicate and there are not many who could do it right!!

And all the mechanics "learn" at our expense and blame the fuel we use :(
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Looks like the fuel pump. We had a similar issue with our 04 Indigo LX.. The fuel pump setting is very delicate and there are not many who could do it right!!

And all the mechanics "learn" at our expense and blame the fuel we use :(
I 500% agree....i had EXACTLY the same problem with my V2 DLS....everytime i used to go to dealers, they used to charge me 200 rs for converter cleaning....things were OK till 100-200 kms and then again! this has happened 32 times, when i finally wrote to Ratan Tata and all others.
its a problem with your fuel pump dude! get it calibrated at SOME VERY GOOD LUCAS DEALER and u wd be fine. also, this problem wd be more evident if u try to climb a flyover with AC on.
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Just remembered...i kinda had a similar prob at the start of the year. The car won't rev above 3k rpm and emits a huge amount of smoke. But spped wasn't a prob as it could do arnd 80kmph no probs. Prob was with pickup.
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

I'm a fan of Tata.
But, after all these incidents with the turbo Indicas,i'm gonna advise everyone from thinking about the TDi Indica. It might take till 2007 for the reliability issues to be solved.
Old 23rd May 2006, 01:17   #21
BHPian

Raj, if it's your oil seal in the turbo, smoke should be white or grey. looks like you have a blown rubber hose, because of which the car is running very rich and therefore the black smoke. Suggest you have it looked at immediately.

OT - Psycho kindly PM or call me if there is difference of opinion.
Old 23rd May 2006, 01:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

get the fuel pump and the turbo checked,my guess is that its some problem with turbo and thats giving wrong info to ecu and hence the problem,tata does not have much experience with electronics and after the launch of the euro3 cars with ecu (turbo and non turbo)similar problems grew up substansially,whenever i visit tata workshop i see atleast one vehicle with a similar problem with a lot of mechanics blindly troubleshooting,my friend had thesame problem with his brand new accent crdi last year and was traced to faulty turbocharger but hyundai was fast to diagnose and replaced the faulty parts in no time.
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:26   #23

Here is an update..

The car was giving the thick black smoke after I filled from the pump near Seawoods - Palmbeach road, Navi Mumbai a week ago. Since the diesel was almost showing empty, I filled 2 litres at the pump in Belapur, Navi Mumbai yesterday night.

Now I wanted to drive the car for sometime and observe the symptoms.

Observation1: Idling engine sounded ok to me
Observation2: Idling rpm has been 800-900, pretty much the normal.
Observation3: The car would stall if I dont press accelerator while releasing the clutch in the first gear. Earlier, car would move even without pressing accelerator.
Observation4: Car would jerk a little (very little) in lower gears
Observation5: Black smoke was still emitting from the exhaust when I rev up (while driving or in neutral)

I drove back and forth the palm beach road till the old diesel left over and the new diesel was almost empty. Now I filled again at Belapur pump and drove around.

For sometime, I was still having problems going beyond 80 km mark in 4th and 5th gears. After that, I red lined in 3rd and 4th gear to see if that would help (dont know if that is the right thing to do) in the speed. After I did that, the Turbo seemd to have picked up, and I noticed improvement in speed. Also, the Turbo response started improving.

After a few runs, I was able to touch and maintained 110 kmph. I did not try going beyond 110Kmph.. Also, the black smoke emission went down significantly. The response has also improved in lower and higher gears.

Well..I dont know what to make out of the entire episode.. May be the fuel quality was bad.. May be the car felt cranky since I used to take the car out only for may be 50km per week with short trips every alternate day...

Or May be there is still a problem with the things you guys mentioned.. I will keep an eye on how it runs over the next few days and go for a good check-up..

Do send your comments (if you happened to read the long boring narration - LOL)..

Regards,
Raj
Old 23rd May 2006, 14:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey Raj,

The problem most likely is with your Fuel PUMP..calibrated wrong!! TRUST me on this..I've lived with this problem for almost 10 months educating atleast 30 to 40 mechanics on how to setup the car.

Infact I have written about the Indigo Blues on mouthshut.com..

The Turbo does not have any effect on this.. Would somebody enlighten how the turbo effects this problem.

The only problem as i see as well as read from your inputs are "FUEL PUMP - faulty settings" There is a setting which can increase the pressure at high speed / when hot. This is to be tinkered with.
Old 23rd May 2006, 21:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Hey Raj,

The problem most likely is with your Fuel PUMP..calibrated wrong!! TRUST me on this..I've lived with this problem for almost 10 months educating atleast 30 to 40 mechanics on how to setup the car.

Infact I have written about the Indigo Blues on mouthshut.com..

The Turbo does not have any effect on this.. Would somebody enlighten how the turbo effects this problem.

The only problem as i see as well as read from your inputs are "FUEL PUMP - faulty settings" There is a setting which can increase the pressure at high speed / when hot. This is to be tinkered with.
Excccagghtly....no other problem with turbo and all except the wrong calibration of the fuel pump.
Old 23rd May 2006, 22:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

That pump in belapur is no good....even i had probs after filling from there. Fill at the nerul ioc pump near the highway.

Drifter
Old 23rd May 2006, 23:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yup black smoke is a sure sign of a faulty fuel pump..
Old 25th May 2006, 11:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490
Yup black smoke is a sure sign of a faulty fuel pump..
and also more kerosene and less diesel.

Believe me I had to drive my sumo , for around 40 km on pure kerosene.
Old 3rd July 2006, 13:54   #29

Hello All,

Heres the update.

25th May 06:
------------
The Fuel pump was sent to Lucas pumps (One of the Tata Motors' suppliers) by the Service guys. After it came back, I had been told that the pump was repaired, and there would be no further problems.
After I took the delivery, the same problem reappeared, and within 3 days time problem was back to square one. I continued to use the car for few days much to my embarrassment at traffic signals. Then I went on vacation for 15 days, and swore that I will chew out those guys after I come back.

26 June:
--------
Wrote a strong email to supportwest@tatamotors.com . Gave them the entire background, their service and Demanded replacement of Fuel Pump - no more repairs. The pump was replaced, and I was promised the delivery on 28th June. On 28th June, the problem persisted even after installing a brand new fuel pump. They tracked the problem down to EGR controller. They replaced it too and gave me the delivery on 29th June.

The smoke problem has gone, and the pickup and idle rpm and feel is smooth.

There is concern though. After I took the delivery, I am seeing "Check Engine" indicator ON sometimes. Also, there has been a problem with Front left Power Window - the window got misaligned once, and I believe the motor is weak.

I am slowly reaching the point where negatives are weighing more than positives.. A new car is supposed to give you a pleasant experience.. Not make you run around the Company service stations explaining the problems and go around the city without a car in the rainy seasons..

What say guys..?

Regards,
Raj
Old 3rd July 2006, 22:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajTurbo
Thanks Psycho and Himanshu.. I have made a note of your suggestions. They will be handy when I talk to the Tata service people.

Yes. I have taken extended warranty, and it will be handy for self or for better resale value.
Another suggestion. Join a good Gym as soon as you can because you need Extended muscle power to fight them in order to ensure that they honour your Extended warranty.

So long....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks