Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:05   #1
BANNED

Optra - steering vibrations over 80 km/h

Hi, need a bit of help on this one:

I took my Optra out on the expressway over the weekend. This is the first time I've ripped the car properly.

I'm using HR 15" rims with 205/55/r15 Goodyear Eagle Venturas. Just the day before, I had computerised balancing, alignment etc done. The car is 4 months old and has done less than 4000kms in all.

I found that as I approach 80, the steering starts to vibrate. These vibrations get more pronounced as the car goes faster, becoming quite a pain at 120+. However, on certain stretches I was able to accelerate without feeling much vibration.

Also, I don't know if this is connected, but on the drive my power steering fluid leaked and I was stuck without PS. Luckily Viper and Evo6 pointed me to a GM workshop close by and they were able to rectify the problem in an hour. They said a nut had come loose and caused the leak. This could have been caused due to many reasons, including bad fitting originally, or heavy shocks/vibrations.

On coming back to Bombay, I had my wheel balancing checked again, and the tyre guy says it's all good. He says the problems are definitely not with the alloys or tyres, which even my mechanic confirms.

The worst part is that in Bombay you can't even sustain 80+ km/h, so testing and rectifying is a huge pain. But the minute you hit the highways you can feel it. Damn.

Now I need to know what's causing these vibrations. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Are you 100% positive that it is not wheel balancing problem? Is it surely vibration and not knocking?
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:45   #3
BANNED

Definitely not knocking. Engine was smooth. I only used Speed 97. I've got a Ractive EV 500 conical filter from PJspeed shop and a Tri-phase module from Viper. Car was touching 180 with ease with A/C and 2 passengers besides me. Didn't try and push it further because of traffic and the vibrations.

Dunno about the tyres and rims but I trust my mechanic for many years, and the tyre guy is also pretty reputed and they've given me a computer readout
Old 22nd May 2006, 15:16   #4
BHPian

You might want to check this thread. This might be useful
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...for+vibrations
Old 23rd May 2006, 08:46   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Definitely not knocking. Engine was smooth. I only used Speed 97. I've got a Ractive EV 500 conical filter from PJspeed shop and a Tri-phase module from Viper. Car was touching 180 with ease with A/C and 2 passengers besides me. Didn't try and push it further because of traffic and the vibrations.

Dunno about the tyres and rims but I trust my mechanic for many years, and the tyre guy is also pretty reputed and they've given me a computer readout

Hi Boom,

Try one thing out swap your rims and tyres with another car and see what happens if problem is still there then trust me it is a suspension related issue. I have driven the car and it took me 2 mins to point out something was wrong. The correct problem would be that something is "out". Could be the axles or brake discs or a defective tie rod.

If you are unable to solve it this week get i tto me I will solve it for you next week as I am going out of town tomorrow till Sunday.

Viper
Viper
Old 23rd May 2006, 09:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would say that it a badly done wheel balancing job. Get the balancing alone done at a really good place, and try it on the expressway.

Last edited by jyobeb : 23rd May 2006 at 09:15.
Old 23rd May 2006, 09:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
I would say that it a badly done wheel balancing job. Get the balancing alone done at a really good place, and try it on the expressway.
very true.
these shops doing so-called computerised wheel-balancing and all are doing nothing extra-ordinary.

get your wheelbalancing etc at some other big and reputed shop and then check the difference.
Old 23rd May 2006, 09:39   #8
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
I found that as I approach 80, the steering starts to vibrate. These vibrations get more pronounced as the car goes faster
Have the same prob with my Santro, from the time i put new tyres.... must be balancing... try getting it done from a different place, or why not from the authorised service centre itself....
Old 23rd May 2006, 09:50   #9
BHPian

i agree with viper.. swap your wheels and try.. if possible with stock rims and tires.. i had the same problem with my baleno, but got my wheel balancing done, and that solved it, but i'm using stock steel rims with newly fitted 205/60/13 falken ziex ze502 rubber..

cheers!
Shrivz
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:09   #10
BHPian

Hi Shiv,
Just check whether your Rims fit perfectly into your Optra Hub. If your rims are the universal type (which is generally the case, you will need a hub ring to plug in the gap.)
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND IT IS VERY DANGEROUS TO RUN YOUR VEHICLE WITHOUT A PERFECT HUB FIT. One day you will find your rear tyre overtaking your front if you do not get this problem rectified as the entire load of your vehicle now rests on the bolts that bolt your tyre and not on the hub. Your bolts could get bent and god knows what else. Avoid bumps, high speed till you get this problem sorted out.
I had this problem on my Baleno, and on putting hub rings made of Teflon on all 4 tyres, my problem was solved.

Regards,
Burjis
Old 23rd May 2006, 11:58   #11
BANNED

Hi guys thanks for the help. Can anyone tell me where I can get these rings made in Bombay?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks