Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2013, 15:10   #1
BHPian

Issue with Honda Civic AT after CNG conversion

Over the last few months, since fitting a CNG kit for my Honda Civic At, it sometimes stalls in traffic, usually in bumper to bumper traffic (low revs). At the point that happens I have to put it in P Mode, engage the parking brake, and restart the engine for the car to start.

This doesn't happen at 30-40 Kmh +.
Has anyone else experienced something of this sort?
I asked the CNG kit guys if it had something to do with their installation, they were more than helpful checking the car a few times, but the problem persists. I will be sending it back for a check with them in a few days, but I wanted to see if anyone had faced a similar issue.

PS: When I ran it on petrol for the whole day in similar conditions, no stall.

Thanks in advance
Ang
Old 21st May 2013, 16:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Issue with Honda Civic AT after CNG conversion

Its got to be CNG as on Petrol you are not facing any problems. My friend did his Honda City conversion too and faced some difficulties (I am not sure of the exact nature of the problems). Eventually he just removed/disconnected the kit and kept running on Petrol.

He also told me that the guy who did the conversion told him that Hondas arent very good with conversion kits, so its better to run with Petrol.

BTW, my experience for last few years have been, if one needs LPG/CNG its better to buy a small hatch with factory fitted options.
Old 21st May 2013, 17:05   #3
BHPian

In addition to the above comment from mayank, I suspect the inherent low end throttle response of Hondas maybe the culprit for the stalling. The engine is obviously demanding much more gas than what the the CNG kit has been tuned to deliver. I also agree with the opinion that a factory fitted CNG/LPG kits work best if at all cars with alternative fuel options are being considered.
Old 21st May 2013, 18:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
Over the last few months, since fitting a CNG kit for my Honda Civic At, it sometimes stalls in traffic, usually in bumper to bumper traffic (low revs). At the point that happens I have to put it in P Mode, engage the parking brake, and restart the engine for the car to start.

I asked the CNG kit guys if it had something to do with their installation, they were more than helpful checking the car a few times, but the problem persists. I will be sending it back for a check with them in a few days, but I wanted to see if anyone had faced a similar issue.

Thanks in advance
Ang
What type of kit is it? Sequential or closed loop?
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:48   #5
BHPian

@Swapnil.rahate
The exact same fitting Frank had done on his http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...matic-cng.html in this thread, down to the cylinder weight and the same place.

@Fuel addict, so the option to provide more gas is always there yes?
Anghammarad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 20:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

You can also get the ignition system, ie the coils, wires and plugs also checked if they are in good health. A weak system coupled with the higher demands of a CNG fuelling might be causing the issue. Its a guess still worth a try.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 20:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if it's related but Frank's installer had made him change the spark plugs on the Civic even if they are suppose to last 10 years or 100K kms. Were yours changed before the conversion ?

Suggest having a word with Frank's CNG installer regarding the matter if your's are having trouble diagnosing the problem.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 21:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...so the option to provide more gas is always there yes?
Yes.

First, try using an injector cleaner like System-G while you are running on petrol for, say, 50-80 km. Then switch over to CNG and check if the idling issue persists.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I asked the CNG kit guys if it had something to do with their installation, they were more than helpful checking the car a few times, but the problem persists.
A few times? What was their diagnosis? Does it happen with or w/o A/C? Is it worse with A/C?

I have a feeling that there is simply not enough fueling at idle which is something they have to check/verify using AFR gauge and reset it.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 03:09   #10
DWC
BHPian

@Anghammarad, would be great if you could give us an update as to whether the problem was resolved. If yes, then what was the cause and how did you go about rectifying it?

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but planning on going down the same route so would be great to know.
Old 16th December 2013, 13:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Ang
Did you got this rectified?
Old 20th August 2014, 21:40   #12
BHPian

Re: Issue with Honda Civic AT after CNG conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Did you got this rectified?
I got it rectified to some extent, I have had only 2-3 stalls in the last few months, the problem seems to have resolved to a large extent.

However I am due for a service at Suraj Gas, and that will tell how much better the vehicle gets
Old 20th August 2014, 22:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I got it rectified to some extent, I have had only 2-3 stalls in the last few months, the problem seems to have resolved to a large extent.

However I am due for a service at Suraj Gas, and that will tell how much better the vehicle gets
What was the error or issue? Where you got it sorted out and what was the rectification done to solve it?
Old 20th August 2014, 22:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
What was the error or issue? Where you got it sorted out and what was the rectification done to solve it?
Not exactly sure, on both counts. It is overdue for a service though, so this time around I will make sure to ask Mr. Jain and get back to you?

Ang
Old 10th July 2015, 15:03   #15
BHPian

I am into a same soup this time. I have a Honda City Gxi 2005 60k kms done, retrofitted with a sequential Lovato Kit. It has clocked 21k on CNG. From last one month I am facing couple of problems:

1. Car Stalls in the 1st cold start of the day especially when swithover to gas happens.
2. Jerks intermittently when you shift gears. Relatively lesser jerks at higher speeds and aggressive at lower rpms.
3. With AC on, RPM dips too low that car shivers when the AC cuts off. Throttle body cleaning doesn’t help. No improvements

To summarize, If I drop power and demand again [Let’s say I am on 2nd and at 2000 rpm, I brake slightly coming down to 1000 rpm and accelerate then car starts coughing badly vert badly, as if it’s choking and about to stall but recovers if I press the clutch and pick up. Second scenario at higher speeds, say 80kmph, I take my leg off pedal and press accelerator again then it slightly hiccups but not that aggressively.

It has become bad lately and I can’t live with that any longer. Mechanic says it can be because of either the Plugs or the Ignition Coils. Is there a definitive way to check if the coils are in good shape or not. To add to misery, this model has 8 plugs and coils. How can you determine if at all any has gone kaput or is something else out of place.

Someone suggested fuel pump or flywheel as the culprit but I doubt that causing such issue. I don’t want to play in blind and have no solution and ending up paying for things that were good

Rgds,
J

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks