Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:55   #331

Re: Automatic Transmission v/s Manual

Hi Guys, let me put this in simple words which might help few who are driving MT and planing to switch to AT.

After 15 yrs of Manual driving I bought Creta Petrol AT 3 months back (yes Petrol AT as my Annual running is not more than 6k kms).

Pros.
1. AT is a blessing in any condition you drive*.
2. Takes out the stress & fatigue completely.
3. Even after 9-10 hrs of combined drive you don't feel drained.
4. No shifting jerks and smooth drive, relaxing for the passengers totally.
5. Optional Manual shift helps you with gear control while driving down any Ghat section, everyone complained about loss of gear control, but that is what I do and it helped you may try..
6. Its been only 3 months so not much on the maintenance of Creta petrol AT but yes I only opted for voluntary Oil change in 2000 kms against the 7000kms/1 year/ 2nd service mark.

Cons
1. Definitely the power output varies at different points and you cannot compete with a Manual shfit.
2. Low FE against MT, e.g. Petrol MT 12 & 15 kmpl, AT 9-12 kmpl, Diesel 1.6 Creta MT-14/18, AT-12/16 kmpl).
3. If you are a driving enthusiast and do more of upcountry rides & overtakes you will not enjoy the AT version as the power with shifting will always be missed.
4. From what I have heard AT maintenance is only high in case any of some peculiar issue.

Initially I was not very happy with the AT drive as always missed the gears in my upcountry rides especially the Ghat sections but the MT mode within helps. Finally the important factor for any individual is FE, which is obviously low, but yes I personally feel 3-4 kms can be compromised for the comfort & peace of mind I have got.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd January 2017 at 11:45. Reason: edited post for typo
ajaymore19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 18:07   #332
BHPian

Re: Automatic Transmission v/s Manual

Here's a link to a very good video on pros and cons of automatic v/s manual transmission when it comes to offroading specifically. The discussions below the video also give some insight on the issue.

nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks