Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2013, 00:40   #1
BHPian

VW Jetta : Climatronic blowing hot air!

Hi all to start with I own a Jetta 2011 cr TDI 2.0 Highline. It is perfectly maintained and serviced at every 14500 kms instead of recommended 15000 kms. Oil and coolant levels are checked by myself at regular intervals. I have driven the car 66000 kms by myself only. I am quite possessive about my vehicles.
Off late in the summers my climatronic has been giving me problems. When I start my aircon and drive my car, there is a flush of hot air instead of cold though I have moved the a.c knob to LO and still my car takes around 15 minutes on the clock to throw out cold air. It mostly seems like its trying to throw cold air but can't keep up so it reverts back to throwing hot air and after multiple tries it starts throwing cold air. By this time I am drenched in sweat.
Guys I need help real bad as the vw mechanics have not been able to identify the problem and think I am trying to get my condenser changed within warranty for nothing.
Old 26th May 2013, 00:13   #2
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta : Climatronic blowing hot air!

Did they check whether the compressor clutch is engaging immediately when the A/C is turned on for the first time ?

Try this-
Set the AC on manual mode.
Set the lowest temperature.

Pop the hood, locate the compressor and check whether the compressor clutch is spinning.

If the compressor is cycling too quickly then the gas in the system needs to be checked. Simply don't allow them to top-up the gas, it is a very common mistake to overcharge the system.

If the compressor does not engage even when the system is properly charged and the pressure on the high and low side is within the normal range(checked by hot-wiring the compressor clutch) then it points towards an electrical issue- could be a bad sensor.

If the compressor is engaged intermittently even after by-passing the high/low pressure switch then it points towards an (BCM ?)/Climate control fault.

Keep us updated.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 01:22   #3
BHPian

Hey I have just gone thru a thread where people were having the same issue and what has been found is that the compressor has given up. I am still trying to figure out if there is a different problem to it. Anyhow am suppose to give my car to the dealership on Tuesday lets see what they have to say..
Old 26th May 2013, 14:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check this:-

The temperature sensor is kaput or rats have bit them. The sensor is placed right next to or near the radiator near the front grill.

To me it sounds like a sensor failure if not compressor.

The compressor or condenser is usually strong till around 40-50K kms
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 15:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Check this:-

The temperature sensor is kaput or rats have bit them. The sensor is placed right next to or near the radiator near the front grill.

To me it sounds like a sensor failure if not compressor.

The compressor or condenser is usually strong till around 40-50K kms
I agree but my car has been driven 66000kms and I usually don't keep it in the garage that it may be a infestation problem, but lemme go to the dealership on Tuesday as again I got a call from VW as I had written them a stinker mail.
Old 26th May 2013, 15:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
Hi all to start with I own a Jetta 2011 cr TDI 2.0 Highline. It is perfectly maintained and serviced at every 14500 kms instead of recommended 15000 kms. Oil and coolant levels are checked by myself at regular intervals. I have driven the car 66000 kms by myself only. I am quite possessive about my vehicles.
Guys I need help real bad as the vw mechanics have not been able to identify the problem and think I am trying to get my condenser changed within warranty for nothing.
Hi Kanboy - there might be a simple fix to this. Check if the AC Radiator fan has conked off. This was the exact problem which i faced in my Skoda. When this happens, the AC throws cool air only when the car is moving at good speed and otherwise only throws warm air. If this is the problem then it be be a resultant of a blown fuse or maybe it requires a fan replacement. (i required a fan replacement)

Last edited by Rajeev1 : 26th May 2013 at 15:49.
Rajeev1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 17:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post

Hi Kanboy - there might be a simple fix to this. Check if the AC Radiator fan has conked off. This was the exact problem which i faced in my Skoda. When this happens, the AC throws cool air only when the car is moving at good speed and otherwise only throws warm air. If this is the problem then it be be a resultant of a blown fuse or maybe it requires a fan replacement. (i required a fan replacement)
Thank you rajiv, but just got back from the agency, they would replace the compressor, and something called dryer as its the cause of the problem. The ac only starts at if the car is on idle nd if it moves then it takes time to start Supposedly the new compressor has been refined recently to eradicate this problem. Now the only problem is the have ordered the part and it would take a week to come.
Old 30th May 2013, 17:37   #8
BHPian

Hi,
The heater flap is remaining on may be. Get it checked. If you don't need heater, bypass it. So you don't have to spend a fortune on replacing any part.
Old 13th March 2014, 16:09   #9

The only solution to the problem is to get the Compressor changed. I have a 2012 Dec, Jetta HL (Manual) - Immediately after my first service, I begun noticing the same problem with my air-conditioner. It would almost always recirculate stale cabin air with the compressor rarely coming to life. After several 'switch offs and switch ons' I got frustrated and took it to the dealership. Under warranty, I had the unit replaced by a new one and the problem hasn't existed since.

I was informed by the service guys that every 3/10 Jetta & Passat have this problem !
iNabeel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks