Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2013, 16:12   #1
BHPian

Odd sound from Air-con vents

Hello All,

I have a Maruti Ritz VXI, 2010 Model. It is more than 3 years old car and have driven close to 35k. Car was serviced at 30k by Maruti Service Masters Chennai.

I have couple of problems with the AC of the car.

1. When I switch ON the AC or just FAN, I hear a loud motor sound from the vent. Sound is feeble if the Fan speed is kept at '1' but it is very loud when the speed is increased to '3' or '4'.

2. Even if I Switch On the button to stop external Air from coming in.. I still get the smell inside the car, for eg. if there is anything burning outside, I still smell it when all windows are closed.

Please let me know what needs to be done. Do I go back to MSM to check the problem? Hope it is not a big issue.

Regards,
Vaidyanathan
Old 31st May 2013, 16:16   #2
BHPian

re: Odd sound from Air-con vents

Same pinch Vaidy !!

I keep getting the motor like noise from my 2008 Alto Lxi too. Reason for the same is unknown till now. Hope to get an answer in your thread.

Cheers
W_C
Old 31st May 2013, 16:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

It's always near impossible to really understand a sound without actually hearing it.

But let me take a stab; there could be at least two reasons.

1) Debris in the air inlet of the fan
Very often, over a period of time, debris finds its way into the air inlet towards the fan. Think leaves, bits of twine, small branches etc. Very few cars have filters. These bits and pieces eventually make it to the fan and start sticking into the fan rotor, which will lead to all sort of additional sounds and rattles

So you need to locate the air inlet. Usually its right smack in front of the front window. It tends to be the bit with the various slats in it. Take if off and see if you can see any debris. You might have to poke into it with a little steel hook or so.

2) Problems with the electric motor of the fan
There could be different problems with the fan and or the motor fan. Could be bearings or the other one is the brushes running rough over the collector.
In order to diagnose you need to get access to it. I'm not familiar with your cars, but in most cars you need to get under or behind the dashboard. Could be real easy on some cars, or a real pain in others.

Good luck,

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 16:26   #4
BHPian

Guys, please check the thread below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-iv-works.html
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 17:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It's always near impossible to really understand a sound without actually hearing it.

But let me take a stab; there could be at least two reasons.

1) Debris in the air inlet of the fan
Very often, over a period of time, debris finds its way into the air inlet towards the fan. Think leaves, bits of twine, small branches etc. Very few cars have filters. These bits and pieces eventually make it to the fan and start sticking into the fan rotor, which will lead to all sort of additional sounds and rattles

So you need to locate the air inlet. Usually its right smack in front of the front window. It tends to be the bit with the various slats in it. Take if off and see if you can see any debris. You might have to poke into it with a little steel hook or so.

2) Problems with the electric motor of the fan
There could be different problems with the fan and or the motor fan. Could be bearings or the other one is the brushes running rough over the collector.
In order to diagnose you need to get access to it. I'm not familiar with your cars, but in most cars you need to get under or behind the dashboard. Could be real easy on some cars, or a real pain in others.

Good luck,

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen.. What about the outside smell which gets through even though windows and AC external air insertion vent closed?
Old 31st May 2013, 18:24   #6
BHPian

Hi Guys
The sound comes from leaves getting stuck in the AC duct. A very common problem with all Maruti vehicles. Removing is a simple job. Workshop people do it even without charging anything. Happened with my cars thrice as they are parked under a tree.
Guneet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 21:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaidy View Post
Thanks Jeroen.. What about the outside smell which gets through even though windows and AC external air insertion vent closed?
Well, there's probably several members that are familiar with your car.
I'd say it could be a few things:

Somehow the valve of the AC external air vent is damaged and doesn't close properly or you have a broken duct somewhere

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 21:13   #8
BHPian

Hi, Get your blower motor removed & cleaned. Any dirt, leaves etc getting stuck in the fan can create an imbalance in the fan motor blade at high speed. I think that should solve the problem.
abhijitl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 22:42   #9
BHPian

I spoke to Maruti Service Masters for the issue.. I was informed that to remove the dashboard and clean the AC ducts it would be charged Rs.1800 atleast. Does this cost so much for a Maruti Ritz?
Old 31st May 2013, 22:55   #10
BHPian

Just use an air compressor and go to the interior of the car and blow at max speed inside the ducts. I hope it solves your problem.
btw when blowing the air inside, switch the blower off.
supercars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 23:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Same pinch Vaidy !!

I keep getting the motor like noise from my 2008 Alto Lxi too. Reason for the same is unknown till now. Hope to get an answer in your thread.

Cheers
W_C
Hi,

I had the same problem. The issue was that there was a polythene cover caught in between the fan that is present below the left side dashboard. Ask your MASS guy to remove the fan cover and give it a thorough clean. That should solve the issue.

For me he took out the cover which was giving that irritated noise whenever AC was switched on.
Arvind6488 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 17:37   #12
BHPian

Re: Odd sound from Air-con vents

Does anyone know a thread or a link that I can follow to open up the AC vents on my Maruti 800 ? I definitely have twigs and leaves in there.
Old 14th January 2015, 17:42   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Does anyone know a thread or a link that I can follow to open up the AC vents on my Maruti 800 ? I definitely have twigs and leaves in there.
Why not visit 3M or such detailing guys to get the AC vents cleaned?
Old 14th January 2015, 21:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why not visit 3M or such detailing guys to get the AC vents cleaned?
I like doing stuff on my own, and I'm too lazy plus too much of a miser to get it done by someone else.

Just today I opened up the passenger door cover/panel to completely lubricate and grease the window and lock components - so happy with the results!

Last edited by hellmet : 14th January 2015 at 21:30.
Old 18th January 2015, 23:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
To do so you will have to take the dashboard off. If the drain pipe drips water fine, much simpler to just use an AC car freshener piped through central vents, followed by same treatment via exterior intake vents. See this link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks