Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 01:26   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Smartphones: Automotive Impact

Although in India we love Android a lot, i am sure there is a definite follower ship for Steve Job's Apple and iOS/ iPhone! We call this follower ship as apple fan boys (girls too) in our IT world and sure everyone would comprehend to it.

The intention to start this new thread is ti bring up the topic of discussion about phones and its integration into our driving world. We often deal with many impacts of phone activities (speak, text etc) and drive. While there are different school of thoughts for what should be allowed and what not, i think today's Apple event in SFO tries to bring this topic to somewhat conclusion. The new iOS7 and due to launch iPhone 6 in coming sept/ oct, majority of the car manufacturers are embedding support for phones right into their car's infotainment systems. Read this announcement. In otherwise to be termed as pure software discussions, I think this automotive aspect in OS is suggesting me to spark off a discussion on what are the reactions of car enthusiasts!

In my honest opinion, not just car manufacturers but ICE manufacturers would also follow this suite to support such smartphones (Android includes). Afterall, bluetooth phone support is now commodity that almost every new car supports. Remember it was once a luxury installment?

I had once bought Nokia handsfree set from Europe for my Esteem years ago and had to run around every garage on Bannerghatta road then to have it fixed on my car!

NB: Not sure if this is worthy topic of new thread, but requesting to be merged with more appropriate one if needed.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Smartphones: Automotive Impact

Check out the EcoSport & E20's integration with your SmartPhone:

Ford Sync

E20

Ford has also thrown open its doors to developers : Link.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ford has also thrown open its doors to developers : Link.
Indeed, ford has taken initiatives much ahead of any other manufacturers. their voice recognition is powered by Microsoft's Sync technology. They had it in their lincoln cars since long. Here is another example of their technology extension to healthcare -

Meanwhile I tried connecting the Windows Phone, Android Phone, iPhone and a BB phones connecting with Caska head unit in my car. The detailed ownership review of this ICE should come up soon from me. BB experience is the worst of all. I loved the Android's "car home" mode though!

The windows phone (omnia W) does work fantastic. Its mobile OS that gels up well as of now. It has spoken prompts just like MS Sync systems for incoming messages. The good thing - it understand my indian hinglish accent! So i am keeping this phone for now. The iOS Siri (i just flashed with version 7 of beta) isn't capable of doing this yet. But should work with high end cars for sure.

The iOS is expected to take the phone displays to the vehicles display systems. in theory, it could be true hand free and eyes free but i fear if that makes us use the phones much frequently even in driving and invite more trouble. Afterall, i bump on at least 5 folks who cross the roads with their eyes on phone screen!
Old 29th July 2013, 11:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As the vehicle infotainment systems get more closer to the Mobile or Computer operating systems, the risk will increase too. here is a interesting read - this article. There is a great video. For now it uses tethered connection to the car but it wouldn't be far away to remotely connect without any wires to control the car!
Old 30th July 2013, 01:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
As the vehicle infotainment systems get more closer to the Mobile or Computer operating systems, the risk will increase too. here is a interesting read - this article. There is a great video. For now it uses tethered connection to the car but it wouldn't be far away to remotely connect without any wires to control the car!
Too true. Top Gear have been ranting about voice control recently, in their inimitable and humourous way. (Especially S20 E5, screened last night in the UK).
FlatOut is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks