Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2006, 01:23   #16
anupam9055

u have actually got me thinking......

Old 30th January 2010, 02:29   #17
BHPian

Mans,
Any can explain about hand brake working? i mean how it functions?
Old 30th January 2010, 18:50   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Mans,
Any can explain about hand brake working? i mean how it functions?
There is a cable which runs from the handbrake lever to the rear drum brake liners;when you pull the lever up,the liners move out and pres against the drum;wheels get locked.

If you carefully notice during some test drives on demo cars,the salesperson,puts his right hand on the handbrake-Why?to pull it up in case of an emergency,save the car,save his life and perhaps,save his job
Old 31st January 2010, 11:05   #19
BHPian

Thanks for reply,
It means there are no separate brake pads for hand brake & hand brake system is a parallel but separate system (except pads) at rear. But what in case of disc brake at rear?
Old 31st January 2010, 14:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

In cars with rear disc brakes, it is either hosted with a separate drum brake in the rear or has a mechanism to engage the existing disc brakes.

More technical explanation can be found here
Old 31st January 2010, 15:28   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
It means there are no separate brake pads for hand brake & hand brake system is a parallel but separate system (except pads) at rear
Yes,the handbrake in cars is mechanical actuation of brakes(like what we have in a two wheeler),while the regular mechanism is hydraulic(using brake fluid)
Old 1st February 2010, 00:11   #22
BHPian

Thanks experts,
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
In cars with rear disc brakes, it is either hosted with a separate drum brake in the rear or has a mechanism to engage the existing disc brakes.
In case of disc brake at rear, it got more complicated I think…….
It seems difficult & complicated (unnecessarily) to mount the disc and drum mechanism at same hub.
Generally disc brakes are operated by fluid ( as the most drum brake cars hand brake lever pulls a wire which operate the brake pads) and a proper system is required to operate the fluid.
Now in case of disc brakes at rear there should be separate hydraulic system (separate master cylinder, separate brake pipes etc ), which finally connect to same disc at some point.
What says experts??
Old 1st February 2010, 00:21   #23
BHPian

well i never thought of how does the handbrake operate the reear brakes if its a disc brake..nice topic to ponder upon
Old 1st February 2010, 00:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
well i never thought of how does the handbrake operate the reear brakes if its a disc brake..nice topic to ponder upon
Welcome to the thread. Please contribute your views.
Old 12th February 2010, 18:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

From the Link given by argee, got this.

"Disk brakes on the rear wheels add additional complication for parking brake systems. There are two main designs for adding a mechanical parking brake to rear disk brakes. The first type uses the existing rear wheel caliper and adds a lever attached to a mechanical corkscrew device inside the caliper piston. When the parking brake cable pulls on the lever, this corkscrew device pushes the piston against the pads, thereby bypassing the hydraulic system, to stop the vehicle. This type of system is primarily used with single piston floating calipers, if the caliper is of the four piston fixed type, then that type of system can't be used. The other system uses a complete mechanical drum brake unit mounted inside the rear rotor. The brake shoes on this system are connected to a lever that is pulled by the parking brake cable to activate the brakes. The brake "drum" is actually the inside part of the rear brake rotor."

I have rear-disc brakes on my Cedia and now am dying to know how is the system on it. First thing tomorrow is to ask Maya Motors. will post what I got.

Meantime, I think it is very important to know how is the system, so that you know where and when to use / not to use/the hand-brakes on your specific car or how much you can trust on it.
Needs more discussions I beleive.
Old 14th February 2010, 12:42   #26
BHPian

Thanks for your interest Raja.
You have narrated the matter in a short & sweet.
I suspect that for rear disc brake mechanism …

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
The other system uses a complete mechanical drum brake unit mounted inside the rear rotor. The brake shoes on this system are connected to a lever that is pulled by the parking brake cable to activate the brakes. The brake "drum" is actually the inside part of the rear brake rotor."
is correct.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks