Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 12:27   #1
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner - Improving Ride Comfort?

Hi

I own a Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT. It is around 6 months old and have driven it for around 8K kms till now.

I experience a lot of discomfort in driving it even on tarmac and find the ride to be bumpy. Was thinking if replacing the shocks would improve the ride quality.

While speaking to a few people, came across the Bilstein B6. I did not see any thread on anyone's experience after changing the shock absorbers for the Fortuner.

The B6 for Fortuner comes at around 60K+ for front and rear.
Need inputs on whether changing the shock absorbers would give me a visible improvement in ride quality. Does it increase traction on the road? Do the other driving modes such as LL work equally well with a new set of shock absorbers?

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th July 2013 at 16:33. Reason: T-Fort = Toyota Fortuner. Please don't use short-forms as it makes relevant threads hard to search for & confuses viewers too
ru153 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 16:51   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Fortuner - Improving Ride Comfort?

The Fortuner's bumpy ride & poor braking are indeed two major disadvantages of the SUV.

Simplest way to improve ride quality : Downsize to 15" (my choice) or 16" wheels. The enhanced sidewall will totally transform your ride quality. Choose good tyres and you shouldn't give away any useful grip / handling. Related Thread

Red Rooster (Bangalore) has a TEIN kit for the Fortuner. Stop by their place and ask for a test-drive...they should be able to arrange for a demo drive. This will be an expensive option though.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 17:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Downsizing to 16"er will be more ideal as globally some countries get Fortuner in 265/70 R16 setup too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru153 View Post
Hi

I own a Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT. It is around 6 months old and have driven it for around 8K kms till now.

I experience a lot of discomfort in driving it even on tarmac and find the ride to be bumpy. Was thinking if replacing the shocks would improve the ride quality.
What is the tire pressure you are running ? I have tried 29 psi (1 psi less than OE Specified) and it does give me a more planted feel.

Let us know.

Last edited by karan561 : 10th August 2013 at 17:18.
karan561 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 17:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

Lower your tyre pressure as karan has suggested. Toyota recommended pressure is extremely high at 33 or 34. Try 29psi, this will improve it somewhat.

The next thing you can do is to get a more comfort oriented set of tyres, like the Michelin Latitude Cross. Those will increase the comfort to some extent. But again the set of 4 will cost around 60k.

For shocks like you said the Bilstein is a good bet. It will increase the comfort to some extent. But since you are in Bangalore you have Red Rooster over there. Try out their Fortuner with the Tein suspension too.

Downsizing to 16" is an option, but I don't know about 15s, they may not clear the brakes, etc.
Akshay1234 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 16:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Lower your tyre pressure as karan has suggested. Toyota recommended pressure is extremely high at 33 or 34. Try 29psi, this will improve it somewhat..
What is your source???

Toyota recommended tyre pressure for the Fortuner is 30 psi for all 4 wheels.
nilanjanray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 18:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 for the tyre pressure. I keep mine at 29 for the past 3 years now and this has caused no visible side effects. Although has noticeably improved ride quality. The ride quality is defiantly yet bumpy, don't expect too much. A suspension change might be a good investment as you probably will keep the car for a few years.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 19:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

If this is how the Fortuner is Built, this is how it will run. Dont expect miracles, reducing the tyre pressure will also reduce the mileage and put additional stress on the sidewalls due to flexing (thats what is actually giving you the ride comfort).
dadu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 09:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

According to my BIL the tein suspension seems to make a difference in handling making it more high speed highway friendly reducing the roll. He got the tein installed in his fortuner alongwith racechip and bmc filter from toyota dealer.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 09:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sankar,

Any cost estimates and measures for us?

Will be interesting to know the parameters of difference in performance!
Old 19th August 2013, 10:22   #10
BANNED

I had contacted Red Rooster and they do NOT have a TD Fortuner with TEIN with them.
What they have is a TD Scorpio.

Also, the TEIN that is being offered comes in two variants.

The basic variant which doesnt have any adjustments costs 85k INR and the premium version which continuously adjusts the settings costs 145k INR.

Both these come with a 2 year warranty.
Old 20th August 2013, 14:31   #11
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your replies.

n.devdath is right. Red rooster did not have the TD for Tein in T-Fort. The adjustable variant with TEIN is for INR 1.4 lakhs, which was way out of my budget.

I finalized on Bilstein and got it fitted last week. It costs around 70K. Changed to a BMC air filter as well.

The handling is definitely better and so is the ride comfort especially on potholes and speed-breakers. The bumpiness is reduced.
I haven't driven it yet on very high speed yet. Will do that this weekend and give you the feedback.
ru153 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 15:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great ru153!

Any pictures to see the parts replaced? Also, eagerly waiting for your long drive feedback for Fortuner with Bilsteins.

Thank you!
Old 20th August 2013, 16:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ sankar; was it an old gen Fortuner?
My friend did drive one fitted withe the kit and he was very happy with the comfort. It was around 1.2lac 4-5 months back and it came with the control.

Last edited by jkdas : 20th August 2013 at 16:30.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 10:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Jk, its the new model. I'll be visiting them tomorrow and i'll try to get some pics of the goodies if the vehicle is there.
Old 21st August 2013, 21:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sankar,

That will be great if you have pictures and more information on this front.

I am looking at this option actively.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks