Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2006, 21:22   #1
BHPian

palio 1.2 starting problem.

hi guys. since about 3 weeks my palio 1.2L petrol AT TIMES refuses to crank on turning the key. there is no sound at all. not even the slightest hint of cranking.

It happens only occasionly. but when it does, i have to attempt cranking (i.e. turning the key) 2-3 times before the engine starts. Its like an all or none law- If the car cranks, every thing is normal. but if she does not crank, there is absolutely no sound and I have to attempt cranking a few times. There is no loss of power during normal driving.

she has done 23000KMs and is 1 and half year old. due for routine servicing. but still need the team's advice..

please help with this I don't want to get stranded some where..
Old 5th June 2006, 22:12   #2
BHPian

I'm sure its a weak battery- As the charge might not be sufficient for a crank..so no noise..however after some time it might take a self and be charged somewhat...! The only other thing which comes into play would be the Ignition Coil...But if there is no self...it has to the battery...!
You can research the threads here for Battery's- Popular ones are Exide Freedom-Eternity, Amaron ,Optima Yellow/Red Top,Boch,Panasonic,SF..!

Although 1.2 Years is too short a time for a battery to burn out...It depends a lot on the load on the electrical system- What accessories you have in use, How loud you play a Big ICE Setup...! I'm not sure how much warranty FIAT had offered on a Palio...But Most Car Manufacturers don't give more than a year on Battery and Tyres...FIAT could be no exception..now that they have made a Diplomatic Exit by leaving the reign with TATA...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 5th June 2006 at 22:16.
Old 5th June 2006, 23:26   #3
BHPian

Once I had a similar issue in a Maruti 800. Turned out to be a loose battery wire. Since your car seems to exist only in the "dead" or "live" modes, the problem has to be of an electrical nature, for sure.
Old 5th June 2006, 23:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
I'm sure its a weak battery- As the charge might not be sufficient for a crank..so no noise..however after some time it might take a self and be charged somewhat...! The only other thing which comes into play would be the Ignition Coil...But if there is no self...it has to the battery...!
You can research the threads here for Battery's- Popular ones are Exide Freedom-Eternity, Amaron ,Optima Yellow/Red Top,Boch,Panasonic,SF..!
dude wolfinstein cannot be the battery as he said that if happens rarely and after two three attempts at the key it starts normally so appears to me like the key switch in which u insert the key of the car appers to be faulty get that checked and replaced asap if u dont want to get stranded somewhere without no starter.
get the battery terminals checked first,get it cleaned and vaseline applied,get the connections to the starter also checked and if everything appers ok get the key switch checked.It might be mostly that.
Old 6th June 2006, 09:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a faulty ignition switch assembly to me.
Old 6th June 2006, 11:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
Looks like a faulty ignition switch assembly to me.
ya ya .this is what i meant just could not remember the name.Shame on me for being an automobile engineer
Old 6th June 2006, 17:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionpurple
hi guys. since about 3 weeks my palio 1.2L petrol AT TIMES refuses to crank on turning the key. there is no sound at all. not even the slightest hint of cranking.

It happens only occasionly. but when it does, i have to attempt cranking (i.e. turning the key) 2-3 times before the engine starts. Its like an all or none law- If the car cranks, every thing is normal. but if she does not crank, there is absolutely no sound and I have to attempt cranking a few times. There is no loss of power during normal driving.

she has done 23000KMs and is 1 and half year old. due for routine servicing. but still need the team's advice..

please help with this I don't want to get stranded some where..
Try This and let me know if it works.

Use a jack spanner and give a small hit to the solenoid switch next to the starter motor and try to start and see it it works. the solenoid switch is a small cylendrical metal thing it looks like a mini starter motor. if it works the switch might have gone bad else there are small carbon contacts in the motor which may have worn out. go to some good mechanic and they will fix it for about 200 RS. this is very common. but if the solenoid switch is gone bad then it will cost you somewhere about 1000 RS for a new one. so try doing what i said this will temporarly resolve your issue
Old 8th June 2006, 20:48   #8
BHPian

to pramod- will surely try the thing you said. may take a long time as this problem happens only once in 3-4 days.. lets see hope for the best..

to humyum and others- I absolutely don't have any load on the electrical system. the ICE is dirt cheap with 2 speakers. no other load of any sort, all stock condition.

when the key is turned to the start position (where all the electronics like the fan and audio start) its all normal. even the headlights are fully bright, only the crank does not work, i.e. when the episode happens. Do you still feel its the start switch?
Old 8th June 2006, 23:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

I still feel its the start switch

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks