Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2006, 15:25   #1
BHPian

ohc power steering oil leakage

hi guys,
i am having a problem with power steering - oil leak. the dealer is askin for replacing the power steering gearbox. before going with him, just wanted to find a few things
- can the gearbox be repaired?
- which gearbox does honda provide? which brand?
- would be able to procure the gearbox in mumbai? (the dealer guy told me that i can get the gearbox in mumbai but forgot the brand name)
thanks for the help
vinod
Old 6th June 2006, 22:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Had the same prob with my Vtec. Dealer gave me the same sollution and told me it would cost around 12-13K for the replacement. I just left it alone and now, the leak has stopped. LOL

The steering has not been affected in anyway. It's been some 16K kms since this happened. Everything is back to normal now.

Shan2nu
Old 6th June 2006, 23:14   #3
BHPian

thanks Shan2nu. i will try the same for sometime.
Old 6th June 2006, 23:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks Shan2nu. i will try the same for sometime.
Honda says this wont directly affect the steering. As long as there's power steering fluid in the container, it'l work normally.

In any case you have to replace it, so why not try your luck and see if it stops.

Shan2nu
Old 6th June 2006, 23:29   #5
BHPian

just get the oil seal replaced and hope u have not filled topped above Max mark
Old 6th June 2006, 23:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just get the oil seal replaced and hope u have not filled topped above
Not sure if Honda would do only that. Might have to get it done elsewhere. But worth a try.

Shan2nu
Old 7th June 2006, 00:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

One of the most common problems with OHCs, the oil leaking power steering rack. The dealership will not replace the seal they will change the whole unit. Other option is to find a good reputed workshop who can replace the seal for you, would cost about Rs.2,000.
Old 7th June 2006, 13:05   #8
BHPian

thanks for the info guys.

can someone help me finding some reliable workshop in pune who can replace the seal. there is a Shetty's garage besides the place where i stay (aundh, pune) anyone has an experience with this workshop?
Old 10th June 2006, 22:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
One of the most common problems with OHCs, the oil leaking power steering rack. The dealership will not replace the seal they will change the whole unit. Other option is to find a good reputed workshop who can replace the seal for you, would cost about Rs.2,000.
I was just wondering if an OE Oil Seal is available. There could be just 2 problems. One ofcourse could be the oil seal and the other could be because of some fine damage to the shaft on which the oil seal sits. If the second one is noticed then just changing the oil seal would not help.

So long....
Old 10th August 2006, 16:41   #10
BHPian

changed

hey guys,
i got the new steering gearbox from honda dealer. did some readiing online & found tht the steering gearbox cannot be repaired it has to be replaced. though i could have continued without as a manual steering, i decided to change it since i like the power steering. thanks for u inputs. total cost in pune for the replacement was 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodbijlani
hi guys,
i am having a problem with power steering - oil leak. the dealer is askin for replacing the power steering gearbox. before going with him, just wanted to find a few things
- can the gearbox be repaired?
- which gearbox does honda provide? which brand?
- would be able to procure the gearbox in mumbai? (the dealer guy told me that i can get the gearbox in mumbai but forgot the brand name)
thanks for the help
vinod
Old 10th August 2006, 17:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodbijlani
hey guys,
i got the new steering gearbox from honda dealer. did some readiing online & found tht the steering gearbox cannot be repaired it has to be replaced. though i could have continued without as a manual steering, i decided to change it since i like the power steering. thanks for u inputs. total cost in pune for the replacement was 15k
typical for a newbie...takes the advice of everybody & does the sensible thing by spending more

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks