Team-BHP - Dashboard / Instrument Cluster Warning Lights - What Each Symbol Means!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Dashboard / Instrument Cluster Warning Lights - What Each Symbol Means! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/139946-dashboard-instrument-cluster-warning-lights-what-each-symbol-means.html)

After searching for a relevant thread and not finding one decided to create one. MODS please change/merge with appropriate thread if this has been discussed/reviewed before.

Found this interesting snapshot of the various warning lights that glows on the dashboard and sharing within the forum. Comments/additions are welcome as usual...

This is nice. Seen it in HVK Forum. Someone had enquired which car could have so many indicators at one go, and one response was that the XUV 500 has multiple indicators like these.
Nevertheless for anyone from a layman to an automobile enthusiast this is informative. :thumbs up

64 lights and a few more gauges. Are we to concentrate on the road any other day?:D
Jokes apart, but that was informative. I sincerely believe that most modern & 'intensive' warning light cars would not have so many in one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3201278)
64 lights and a few more gauges.

Well the only gauge I keep my eyes glued is the "low fuel" (53) :D Hate it when it glows!

Hi sumathindra,

The post is quite informative. Thank you for sharing, however for the first few minutes I got bogged down & felt as if I was looking at a miniature airplane cockpit. (well exaggeration it is!)
Imagine if 30% of these come alive at one go, the guy who is in drivers seat will definitely go crazy decoding them :)

Very informative. Thanks for posting. I saw this on Facebook too and it was posted by Hyderabad traffic police.

By the way, item 54 reads as 'automatic gearbox warning'. But in my Fiesta's manual it is described as 'Engine/ drive train warning'. I am not sure which one is correct. But I did get that dreaded light last winter on and off, during cold starts. Experts in this forum said it could be due to dirty throttle body sensor.

This is a very nice thread. I have always been wondering what some of these lights meant.

Thanks so much.

Very Informative and thanks for sharing. Any car has all the 64 Indicators :-)

When does a battery low light come up? Having replaced 2 batteries in both petrol and diesel car I've never encountered this light and it was only when the car wouldn't crank was the battery issue identified.

I'm looking at the logic when this light is supposed to light up as programmed by the manufacturers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 3208696)
When does a battery low light come up? Having replaced 2 batteries in both petrol and diesel car I've never encountered this light and it was only when the car wouldn't crank was the battery issue identified.

I'm looking at the logic when this light is supposed to light up as programmed by the manufacturers.

I guess you are talking about the symbol with a red battery built in. It comes on once you switch on the ignition, and should go off once the engine fires to life. This will come on with the engine running only when there is an alternator failure or an issue with the vehicle's battery charging system. This indicates that the battery is not getting charged any more by the vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumathindra (Post 3201026)
Found this interesting snapshot of the various warning lights that glows on the dashboard and sharing within the forum. Comments/additions are welcome as usual...

Sumathindra, terrific stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 (Post 3201043)
Someone had enquired which car could have so many indicators at one go, and one response was that the XUV 500 has multiple indicators like these.

Yes the XUV has a busy cluster that on XUV forums are christened as the "Diwali Cluster". Very appropriate :D

Thanks for sharing. The thread is very informative/useful and makes an interesting reading as well. Please contribute such threads for the benefit of all others.

Very Informative indeed, though as is being said here this might not be a case where all the indicators were active at the same time. The final picture could be a a collage of various indicators that were active at various points of time and could have been easily merged together to create the final "all indicators lit" effect, as the positions of the indicators do not change.

There is a 'timing belt' indicator in Toyota Innova. How does the ECU check this? Is it based on engine mileage or some other sensor used?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzsys (Post 3209604)
There is a 'timing belt' indicator in Toyota Innova. How does the ECU check this? Is it based on engine mileage or some other sensor used?

The ECU would be reading this from the Cam Sensor Angle.

There is a similar link that I found which matches the discussion in this thread.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ho...ghts-1370.html

Anurag.