Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 16:03   #1

Bosch develops new electronic clutch

Quote:
Global component supplier Bosch has developed an electronically-controlled clutch that closes the gap between manual and automatic transmissions. In stop-and-go traffic, the Bosch eClutch allows drivers using manual transmission to use first gear without using the clutch. They can simply use the brake and gas pedal, just like in an automatic transmission. In addition, the eClutch makes the coasting function possible, which saves fuel. The clutch decouples the engine from the transmission if the driver is no longer accelerating. The engine then stops, and the company claims this results in fuel savings of up to 10 percent on average.
Link to the article on ACI: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ch-355000.aspx

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2013 at 18:47. Reason: Keeping the fair usage policy in mind, it's best to share an excerpt + link to full article. Thanks
accelerate89 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 16:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bosch develops new electronic clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerate89 View Post
The clutch decouples the engine from the transmission if the driver is no longer accelerating. The engine then stops, and the company claims this results in fuel savings of up to 10 percent on average.

The principle behind the start-stop coasting function is simple. The Bosch system detects the driver’s easing of pressure on the gas pedal, decouples the engine from the transmission
Innovative and useful invention, but one disadvantage is that even the manual car won't be able to use engine breaking in such a situation.
Old 28th August 2013, 17:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Innovative and useful invention, but one disadvantage is that even the manual car won't be able to use engine breaking in such a situation.
I think its only for first gear. The major fatigue in manual transmission occurs when you crawl slowly in bumper to bumper traffic, using the clutch. This will take away that pain!
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 17:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
But I would say the advantage far outweighs the disadvantages if any, and the situations where we use 1st gear engine braking would be negligible in normal driving.
accelerate89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 18:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Good idea, though I hope coasting is disabled as soon as the accl is pressed ?
Old 28th August 2013, 19:19   #6
BHPian

Wow, This is certainly a complicated kit,

BUT
Quote:
The clutch decouples the engine from the transmission if the driver is no longer accelerating. The engine then stops,
I hope the engine is shut off when the car is stationary and not while on the move.

Now, I know that it is understood that is it will be designed to shut off the engine only at stand still for but no one mentioned it.

its Bosch right, they cant go wrong.

Last edited by msaudf : 28th August 2013 at 19:30.
Old 28th August 2013, 19:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it just the application of some existing components. The VW DSG has what is essentially an "electronic" clutch" as well. But of course, there it works on all gears!

Still, it's a new gimmick. Might appeal to some.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 21:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Am sure there is far more to it than the Autocar article. As described in the article, fail to see anything really innovative or radical.

Our auto magazines used to carry an ad for a Taiwanese (I think) kit where the clutch linkage was operated by an electric motor.

Check out say the NSU Ro80.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 21:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

I always wished something like this was available on MT cars. Hope there would be a version which can be retrofitted on all cars (as aftermarket fitment)
Old 29th August 2013, 10:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
... Taiwanese (I think) kit where the clutch linkage was operated by an electric motor. ...
There is also a similar Korean kit. My friend had been using it for 5 years in a Swift, till one fine night last year the motor assembly fell off (bad installation). Easy to install in any MT car, as it has a Bowden cable hooking on to the clutch activation arm. The other end of the cable is spooled around a disc driven by a tangential motor. Cheap enough alternate to an autobox.

Activation is by a pushbutton mounted on the gear lever - each press disengages and then engages clutch, based on time set during configuration. Press PB, shift and leave PB. One can still drive the car by manually depressing clutch pedal as usual.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 15:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerate89 View Post
Quote:
In addition, the eClutch makes the coasting function possible, which saves fuel. The clutch decouples the engine from the transmission if the driver is no longer accelerating. The engine then stops, and the company claims this results in fuel savings of up to 10 percent on average.
Not sure about this coasting function, taking into account DFCO, i guess it only makes sense if the engine it turned off whilst cruising. But then, how much of an advantage is that really, and what about the brake booster vaccuum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Our auto magazines used to carry an ad for a Taiwanese (I think) kit where the clutch linkage was operated by an electric motor.
Yep. Though i guess the difference is that this time it'll have the Bosch stamp on it!

Wasn't there also another device that was more like a torque converter for manual cars (kinda like the old dodge fluid-drive system)?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th August 2013 at 15:30.
Old 29th August 2013, 20:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Wasn't there also another device that was more like a torque converter for manual cars (kinda like the old dodge fluid-drive system)?
No such recollection. But if there was would be very interested in knowing well the conventional (dog operated layshaft) gearbox worked with it.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th August 2013, 20:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There is also a similar Korean kit. My friend had been using it for 5 years in a Swift, till one fine night last year the motor assembly fell off (bad installation). Easy to install in any MT car, as it has a Bowden cable hooking on to the clutch activation arm. The other end of the cable is spooled around a disc driven by a tangential motor. Cheap enough alternate to an autobox.

Activation is by a pushbutton mounted on the gear lever - each press disengages and then engages clutch, based on time set during configuration. Press PB, shift and leave PB. One can still drive the car by manually depressing clutch pedal as usual.
That's very interesting DA. Have you driven it? How well does it work in B2B traffic? Any change you can arrange for some pics?
Old 17th September 2013, 15:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Found this video which seems to answer a few questions!

ESC eClutch

- There's no mechanical connection
- It's a clutch by wire system
- The clutch pedal is just a sensor (made to feel like a clutch)
- Separate clutch actuator is placed near the tranny
- Traffic-jam assist (1st gear, brake + accelerator only) - clutch modulated automatically

Watch from 3:55 onwards:

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th September 2013 at 15:27.
Rehaan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 15:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Found this video which seems to answer a few questions! ...
A-ha! O-ho! Clutch-by-wire.

Simple to imagine for people who have hydraulic-actuated clutch - they have replaced the pedal with something similar to the Acc pedal (lever coupled to a potentiometer), and replaced the master cylinder with a pump + valves (controlled by an ECU) which is coupled to the "slave cylinder" - a hydraulic servo actuator like hydraulic power steering.

This has to be OE, and can't be retro-fitted - unless they give the potentiometer pedal as an aftermarket attachment which would also couple to the Master Cylinder. I would be too happy to give my Safari as a test vehicle if they bring this to India.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks