Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:19   #1

Unable to engage 2nd, 4th & Reverse Gears!

Hi everyone,

I've been a regular follower at Team-BHP for over 2 years but this is my first post here. Unfortunately, it also happens to be sort of a distress post!

My ride is a 3 cylinder Accent Crdi from 2006 and I've had my fair share of niggles with the car. This morning, on my way to work, I had driven 20 minutes when the 2nd & 4th gears failed to engage. I managed to drive on with the remaining gears and reach work. At the car park I confirmed that the reverse gear wouldn't engage either.

So now my gear lever can slot into gears above neutral but none below. I did search the site for similar experiences but could find none. Here's something I found elsewhere:

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/can...ear-67549.html

Could there be any other reasons for failure? Is it safe to drive the car back home? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Unable to engage 2nd, 4th & Reverse Gears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Phoenician View Post
Could there be any other reasons for failure? Is it safe to drive the car back home? Any help will be appreciated.
Worn out synchronizer will cause a difficulty in shifting gears, but in this case, I doubt that's the issue. Please remove the top of the gearbox and check if somethings wrong/stuck in the shifting mechanism.

IMO, there should be no problem in driving back home with 1,3 & 5 gears.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:49   #3

Thanks for the input. Will be driving to the mechanic this evening. It's going to be awkward navigating the traffic without those gears! Keeping fingers crossed that it won't be anything major.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Worn out synchronizer will cause a difficulty in shifting gears, but in this case, I doubt that's the issue. Please remove the top of the gearbox and check if somethings wrong/stuck in the shifting mechanism.

IMO, there should be no problem in driving back home with 1,3 & 5 gears.
Agree with your points Dhanushs. I suspect something is either stuck around the gear lever or the pivot points under the lever have worn out rubber bushes, if the car has such an arrangement.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

So now my gear lever can slot into gears above neutral but none below. I did search the site for similar experiences but could find none. Here's something I found elsewhere:

The same thing happened with us while we were returning from Sariska to Delhi in a Swift Lxi. The car would not let 2nd, 4th and reverse howsoever you may try.
Next day, checked with a M.A.S.S where we were told that the gear box needs to be opened and estimate expense was some Rs.10000. We did not agreed to this and thought to get a second opinion.
On the way back, happened to visit the regular accessory guy for some pending payment. On discussing the gear problem with him, the bonnet was opened and the problem solved in a second.
The Problem: the central locking chirping speaker/horn went loose and fell on the gear housing. Problem solved for free instead of Rs.10000 by M.A.S.S.
Suggestion: Please have a thorough look in the engine bay before agreeing to anyone opening the entire gearbox. Chances are that it is something very minor and not a major fault.

Regards
Grr7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've been a regular follower at Team-BHP for over 2 years but this is my first post here. Unfortunately, it also happens to be sort of a distress post!

My ride is a 3 cylinder Accent Crdi from 2006 and I've had my fair share of niggles with the car. This morning, on my way to work, I had driven 20 minutes when the 2nd & 4th gears failed to engage. I managed to drive on with the remaining gears and reach work. At the car park I confirmed that the reverse gear wouldn't engage either.

The landyzone webpage has nothing that is associated with your car, so please dont take that as reference, those cars have shifters that work on a completely different mechanism.

Your car has a shifter mechanism that operated through two cables.
There is no possibility of something to go wrong inside the gearbox but your current problem has something to do with the shifter assembly or the cables or there could be something stuck where the cables connect to the gearbox.
Attached Thumbnails
Unable to engage 2nd, 4th & Reverse Gears!-accent-shifter-mech.jpg  

msaudf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Agree with your points Dhanushs. I suspect something is either stuck around the gear lever or the pivot points under the lever have worn out rubber bushes, if the car has such an arrangement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
On discussing the gear problem with him, the bonnet was opened and the problem solved in a second.
The Problem: the central locking chirping speaker/horn went loose and fell on the gear housing. Problem solved for free instead of Rs.10000 by M.A.S.S.
Suggestion: Please have a thorough look in the engine bay before agreeing to anyone opening the entire gearbox. Chances are that it is something very minor and not a major fault.

Hopefully it's that simple! Too many horror stories of the Accent Crdi has got me nervous whenever something crops up on the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Your car has a shifter mechanism that operated through two cables.
There is no possibility of something to go wrong inside the gearbox but your current problem has something to do with the shifter assembly or the cables or there could be something stuck where the cables connect to the gearbox.

Thanks for the illustration msaudf. Will get it checked out.
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:21   #8
BHPian

I had exactly the same problem with my Chevrolet Spark. I was unable to engage 2nd gear and had to jump from 1st to 3rd every-time. Left the car at Kropex Motors service center since it was under 3 year Chevrolet promise of unpaid repairs.

Here is a brief of work done -
1. Clutch overhauling
2. Gear cable & bush replacement
3. Gear box lubrication

This whole thing took 2 days to complete and the estimate bill was around 3.5k which I did not have to pay due to 3 year warranty. Post this, the clutch is very soft and gear shift is also very smooth.
Old 3rd September 2013, 01:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unable to engage 2nd, 4th & Reverse Gears!

I think this has got nothing to do with the gearbox. The linkages or the bush seems to be the problem. Take it to a competent Hyundai Mechanic or an authorized service station and you should be fine.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:35   #10

Problem solved! Turns out that a loose gearbox mount was obstructing the link from the shifter. Mechanic spotted this as soon as he opened the hood. The mount had been replaced just a few months ago, which goes on to show the workmanship!
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Problem solved! Turns out that a loose gearbox mount was obstructing the link from the shifter. Mechanic spotted this as soon as he opened the hood. The mount had been replaced just a few months ago, which goes on to show the workmanship!
Great. I had a similar problem with our old Fiat 1100D. However, the shifting mechanism was different as it was a hand lever gear, contrary to the floor gears we have now. The 2, 4 & R gears failed to slot into. Later, the 2 rods under the hood were dismantled, lubricated & fitted back. Problem did not re-appear. We sold the car in 2004.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks