Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2006, 19:35   #1
BHPian

Info needed for my car ...

Well guys I have got a Toyota Corolla (1984) model. Being 22 yrs old still its got efficiency to touch 160 (though not so easily) on speedways. Its in quite gud condition but 1 problem which i m facing is dat after exceeding 90-100 kmhr it starts emitting white smoke from behind. Wat cud be the possible reason for this and how can I stop this ??
PLZ ADVISE ....
Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th June 2006 at 23:23.
Old 12th June 2006, 19:39   #2
BANNED

Hi,

Get your engine compression checked at any good garage. I think it is time you went in for a engine overhaul.

Viper
Old 12th June 2006, 20:09   #3
BHPian

get your injectors cleaned it might be help to you, bust its time to get ur engine overhauled...

cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 13th June 2006, 20:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude
get your injectors cleaned it might be help to you, bust its time to get ur engine overhauled...
If you feel that the pick-up and torque is fairly good then you could open the Cylinder Head and check out the Valves. Most probably they would have started to burn out. Replacing the Valve And Valve guides will energize your Engine for a while till you are ready for a total engine overhaul. Also check if you notice smoke coming from the mouth of the Engine oil dip-stick. If yes then there is a back compression problem and that may require Piston Rings replacement, provided the cylinders are in good shape.

How many KMs has it Clocked ?

So long....

Last edited by varunroy : 13th June 2006 at 20:17.
Old 13th June 2006, 20:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude

cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
they are carb version only for 84 model

if at 90 /100 u could see white smoke at the rear that means its considerable amount to be seen in mirror and based on this assume it could be piston rings.
btw assumption is mother of all --- so get it checked soon and dont drive too fast. 160 is sucidal for this car even if u have restored it.
Old 13th June 2006, 20:50   #6
BHPian

0-100

A lean setting in the Carb can lead the valves to Burn out. Ofcourse theres no denying that the Rings could have worn out too.

so long....
Old 13th June 2006, 23:24   #7
BHPian

HI....

Just to correct my brothers..... White Smoke..... shouldnt mean a Engine OverHaul when driven at high speeds.....

BLACK SMOKE ( of same BLACK quality which you see coming out of DIESEL BUSES / TRUCKS) at Startup indicates ENGINE OVERHAUL.....

Your cars Km readin would helps to track down the problem.... generally Toyota Engines go up till 4Lakh and above

Other things which indicate Engine Overhaul are :-

- Black Smoke from Exhaust (Biggest Indicator)
- Spark Plugs getting Oil deposit
- When you open the Engine Oil CAP..... and smell the cap (also smell ENGINE OIL STICK) .... if it smells BURNT.... and also.... ENGINE OIL IS IN BLACK COLOUR INSTEAD of DARK REDDISH COLOUR.
- you will notice sluggish pickup and also low Fuel Mileage......
- Frequent Top Up of Engine Oil.... say per week of about 2~3 Liters and above.

Thanks

Last edited by passion4cars : 13th June 2006 at 23:30.
Old 14th June 2006, 10:19   #8
BHPian

most likely the culprit is the piston rings. an engine overhaul is also a possibility but in most scenarios it can b set right by changing the piston ring.

excessive white smoke usually means burning of engine oil. the car needs engine oil topup very frequently.
Old 14th June 2006, 11:55   #9
BHPian

Do you notice a drop in fuel effciency...
I think its time to rebuild your engine... The piston rings and cylinder bores need to be changed..
This will give you better performance and fuel efficiency..
Old 14th June 2006, 12:04   #10
BHPian

I even asked bout dis frm my mechanic n he told me dis cud possibly be bcoz of rings or rims or sumthing like dat. replace of dis might help it. hope for the best ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks