Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2013, 16:08   #1
BANNED

Troubleshooting OBD Readers

Guys,

After seeing this problem faced by a fellow BHP'ian I searched the forum for troubleshooting related thread on OBD readers but found none specific. Starting a new one for the same purpose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the problem he is facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I purchased this same scan tool last week.

I have a problem with it. When I try to pair it using bluetooth settings and password 1234 just before starting the engine, it pairs the device. But when I start torque, it again asks for the password and any password I enter, it just cant connect.

Can someone help me on this. Im using Xperia Go Android.

EDIT - I tried on Etios Diesel and Optra Diesel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I did was contacted the maker of Torque Pro App (Ian Hawkins). This is what he had to reply:

Quote:
Hi

Has the adapter been powered off and on in the meantime? - there's a known bad adapter (that identifies as 11:22:33: DD:EE:FF) that has various issues (continually asking for the PIN once it's been powered down and on again is one of them) - it's often described as a 'super mini' adapter and there's a batch of these floating around that have this problem

If it is that adapter (it's likely with what you have described) then there's little that can be done at the minute (it's a firmware issue with the adapter), and those adapters also have the problem that if you have 2 with the same 11:22:33: DD:EE:FF identifier near each other, and powered on, that they will interfere with each other

There's a sticky thead about is on the torque site (I'm working over a slow 2g internet connection at the minute otherwise I'd paste the link here if I could get to the site) that should describe in better detail what's going on with the adapter - I'm also going to add a note in the app as well in the next update about these adapters as they're tripping a few people up

If in doubt, it's best to get the seller to replace the adapter with a different one (preferably not one of the ones with the 11:22:33: DD:EE:FF adapter) if this is the one you indeed have

Regards,
Ian
And here is the ink of the website for Torque App.

http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforu...topic&t=3343.0

So this thread can continue the trouble shooting for the ELM OBD II readers.

Cheers,
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd September 2013 at 16:29.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 18:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Troubleshooting OBD Readers

I haven't used Torque, but that sounds that Torque is trying to establish connection to reader once again when it starts. Once again, because the reader is already paired before Torque started. If, without (programmatically) checking whether there is already an active connection one tries to establish connection to the same device once again, it will fail.

If there is a setting (it is there in other such apps) "Pair with device when App starts", one should try setting this off if one is establishing pairing before the App starts. Alternatively, one shouldn't pair before the App starts, and allow pairing to be established through the App.

While Ian Hawkins may be completely right, it is not trivial for an average Joe to check the signature.
Old 22nd September 2013, 20:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I have faced this problem of Scan Master hanging after a while once I start driving with the readings being recorded. Not sure what is causing this as I have to exit scanmaster and again restart the car in order to restart reading data. And apart from scanmaster most of the other SW on my laptop fails to give accurate readings. Havent tried bluetooth ones as I have been stuck up with a windows phone and no App is available to pair up the reader Perhaps I might shortly invest in a low cost tab specifically for this.
Old 22nd September 2013, 21:20   #4
BANNED

Troubleshooting OBD Readers-img20130427wa0004.jpg

The Power and Torque figures that the App provides was another thing that I had a doubt on.

The app says 'No Data' or '0' when cruising or decelerating. When accelerating for a overtake or normal up-shifts the data is displayed.

Why should this happen and not keeping showing data as the engine is producing HP & Nm while cruising and accelerating. Right?!

The same question I put forward to Ian Hawkins. This is what he has to say:

Quote:
When you slow down, you are not supplying energy into accelerating, therefore you are not generating any horsepower - hence the 'no data'
When I keep the car at a steady speed I am giving some throttle input to the ECU so why doesn't it display any data at that point of time?!

Anurag.
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
... The app says 'No Data' or '0' when cruising or decelerating. When accelerating for a overtake or normal up-shifts the data is displayed.

Why should this happen and not keeping showing data as the engine is producing HP & Nm while cruising and accelerating. Right?! ...
That is correct behavior of the App. You must be meaning 'coasting' and not cruising - 'cruising' is constant speed under power. When coasting or decelerating, there is no injection and no power produced, and hence no positive torque exerted by the engine. In fact, when coasting down or decelerating, it is the car's momentum which is keeping the engine rotating, so Torque should be -ive (which doesn't make sense to display).

Quote:
... When I keep the car at a steady speed I am giving some throttle input to the ECU so why doesn't it display any data at that point of time? ...
Your throttle input to the ECU (Acc pedal position) is only a declaration of intent, and not directly acted upon by it. The ECU decides when and how much injection should be done, and in deceleration it ignores the Acc Pedal position *if held constant*. If Acc Pedal is moving at that time (d/dt of pedal position > 0) the ECU will cancel coasting and inject once again - causing the car to speed up (for example, while overtaking down slope; coasting while overtaking is not a safe maneuver)
Old 25th September 2013, 21:59   #6
BANNED

Re: Troubleshooting OBD Readers

Sorry for the late reply. Was down with high fever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That is correct behavior of the App. You must be meaning 'coasting' and not cruising - 'cruising' is constant speed under power.
I meant cruising sir. Keeping the car steady at 100 kmph will definitely involve accelerator pedal input right?! So when I am giving the engine some input how doesn't it show any reading? Is the input negligible for a display to be seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Your throttle input to the ECU (Acc pedal position) is only a declaration of intent, and not directly acted upon by it. The ECU decides when and how much injection should be done, and in deceleration it ignores the Acc Pedal position *if held constant*. If Acc Pedal is moving at that time (d/dt of pedal position > 0)
Attaching two pictures of the OBD II reader that give data for accelerator pedal with RPM and fuel rail pressure.

At 80 kmph (constant speed):
Troubleshooting OBD Readers-img20130725wa0002.jpg

At 100 kmph (constant speed):
Troubleshooting OBD Readers-img20130725wa0003.jpg

Anurag.
Old 26th September 2013, 08:31   #7
BHPian

I regularly sell these ELM327 on ebay and I have seen this issue (asking for pair request again) with one of the piece . What I did was just disconnected the adapter, unpaired the device, uninstalled torque, connected the adapter, paired the device, used other app to connect (like fun2drive, dashcommander, OBD Car Doctor, etc). And it worked fine. Later i installed Torque and that worked fine later.

These devices are produced with same hardware/firmware. Chances of 1 getting bad is very rare. There is some additional security either by app or phone which brings up pairing request again.

Also what i have seen is Apps for phones are much advanced in GUI and features than PC based software as they aren't updated.
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 10:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Keeping the car steady at 100 kmph will definitely involve accelerator pedal input right?! ...
Correct, but it is not necessary that power (and torque, as a result) is constantly being produced. If there is a gradual -ive slope, power 'demand' can reduce to 0 for some time till the slope changes to 0 or +ive. One normally doesn't feel it, but subconsciously we modulate the Acc pedal up and down depending on this.

One can look at the consumption data broadcast by engine ECU (meant for use by MID) for this. This figure reduces with reducing power demand / torque, and vice versa. Fuel Rail Pressure doesn't indicate anything in this context.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 20:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
I regularly sell these ELM327 on ebay and I have seen this issue (asking for pair request again) with one of the piece . What I did was just disconnected the adapter, unpaired the device, uninstalled torque, connected the adapter, paired the device, used other app to connect (like fun2drive, dashcommander, OBD Car Doctor, etc). And it worked fine. Later i installed Torque and that worked fine later.

These devices are produced with same hardware/firmware. Chances of 1 getting bad is very rare. There is some additional security either by app or phone which brings up pairing request again.

Also what i have seen is Apps for phones are much advanced in GUI and features than PC based software as they aren't updated.
hey brother! its me. I have to say that the bigger one was much better. The mini one disconnects like crazy.
Didnt tell you this before because i am super busy, and very few time for hobby.
Bigger one that unfortunately stopped completely was very stable while it lasted.

Can you send me the bigger one again.

Thanks

Last edited by SirAlec : 27th September 2013 at 20:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks