Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2016, 23:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Engine randomly coughs & jerks while driving

I had the same problem long back. My friend got a special tube from Canadian Tire to apply on terminals and voila it vanished. I do not remember the name of tube, but the lube was called dibolic or something (guessing as it happened long back)
Old 15th June 2017, 18:07   #17

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Desperately need advise.

Hi everyone,
I am Anant my ride is a Honda City Ivtec 2010. It has clocked 1,03,000 km. It has been serviced regularly at the authorized service center.

Coming to the problems:
I have been facing recently at times the car shudders when it is about to roll on, as in when we just start from a stand still. I will call it a shudder not a shiver as it is way stronger in magnitude than a shiver.

The second problem being that whenever I am like cruising at highway speeds like initial three digit speeds or the range from 80 km/hr onward and I depress the clutch and hold it there the RPM of the engine falls to around 450 or 500 rounds per minute.

Once I was on a tour of Uttarakhand and this problem caused the engine to stall a couple of times while on the highway. Luckily I found a service center on the way and the mechanic told me that my Ignition coils were bad he cleaned a fuse like thing found in the coils and for a while the problem vanished.

Now, first of all I need to know that changing the coils would resolve this issue or not. Also, where to get the coils from as my service center is asking a price of 6000 per coil and I need to get 4 coils and obviously that price is too steep. Can I get them online and what brand to buy. Also, if anyone could give me a source to buy from like a website link or something I would be indebted for life. I hope the gurus will save me. Thanks in advance

Regards
Anant

Last edited by aah78 : 16th June 2017 at 01:40. Reason: Post edited for readability & moved. Please read the Annoucements section to familiarise yourself with forum rules.
Old 19th June 2017, 09:56   #18

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant5000 View Post
Desperately need advise.

I have been facing recently at times the car shudders when it is about to roll on, as in when we just start from a stand still. I will call it a shudder not a shiver as it is way stronger in magnitude than a shiver.

The second problem being that whenever I am like cruising at highway speeds like initial three digit speeds or the range from 80 km/hr onward and I depress the clutch and hold it there the RPM of the engine falls to around 450 or 500 rounds per minute.
I had faced the same issue in my Honda City 2004 Gxi. It worsens with the car unable to climb a slope from standstill.

Quote:
Now, first of all I need to know that changing the coils would resolve this issue or not.
That a difficult question. But changing the coils solved mine and few of my friends too. All the cars had the fuel pump and spark plugs working fine. You can narrow it down if the ASS asks you to chnage the coils only. Because in my case they started with the fuel pump, and finally arrived at ignition coils.

Quote:
Also, where to get the coils from as my service center is asking a price of 6000 per coil and I need to get 4 coils and obviously that price is too steep. Can I get them online and what brand to buy. Also, if anyone could give me a source to buy from like a website link or something I would be indebted for life. I hope the gurus will save me. Thanks in advance

Regards
Anant
You can get it from aliexpress. I can see 4 coils at a cost of Rs 6000. Please take a picture of your current coils and get in touch with the seller. Since 2014 model Honda city is known by the same name in China they can easily help you. Also ask the seller to ship as a sample invoice showing a lesser amount so that in case the customs ask you to pay duty it will be a small amount.
Regards,
Paul
Old 13th June 2018, 19:27   #19
BHPian

The starter motor on my City ivtec (2009) went kaput two days back on a late evening. Found a number on Google, and these chaps took the car to their garage which was nearby. As per them, they've done the copper winding for the ignition motor and returned the car today.

Problem is, the check engine light is on and the car now misfires after 3K RPM. I now have to drive it below 3K to take it back home. Needless to say, quite anguished with the ordeal and not sure what to do. Plan to take the car to Pride Honda (Miyapur) first thing in the morning, but authorised service centers don't give me confidence anymore.

If the experts can provide me a few pointers that would be very helpful. Don't want to get fleeced twice
Old 13th June 2018, 20:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Plan to take the car to Pride Honda (Miyapur) first thing in the morning, but authorised service centers don't give me confidence anymore.
I have the contact number of an Electrician who works at Pride Honda, Miyapur. I will PM you his number. I think he also has an independent garage. Please get in touch with him, if needed.

Last edited by Hickstead : 13th June 2018 at 20:06.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 10:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
The starter motor on my City ivtec (2009) went kaput two days back on a late evening. Found a number on Google, and these chaps took the car to their garage which was nearby. As per them, they've done the copper winding for the ignition motor and returned the car today.

Problem is, the check engine light is on and the car now misfires after 3K RPM. I now have to drive it below 3K to take it back home. Needless to say, quite anguished with the ordeal and not sure what to do. Plan to take the car to Pride Honda (Miyapur) first thing in the morning, but authorised service centers don't give me confidence anymore.

If the experts can provide me a few pointers that would be very helpful. Don't want to get fleeced twice
First of all the starter motor has nothing to do with engine performance. As its name signifies it is used just for starting - rotating the engine till it fires.

If possible check the ECU for error codes and attend to that. If it is fine then

. Normally misfire and sputtering point to fuel starvation.
. Misfiring especially at higher RPM is due to retarded engine timing. At times it is due to excessive carbon deposits in the cylinder head, which will glow and preignite the fuel before the spark plug does.

Get the following checked
. Fuel line for dirt and kinks.
. Engine timing using a timing light

If both are fine then
. Clean Injectors
. Check the throttle body for carbon deposits - clean if required.
. Take the car out on a relatively uncluttered highway and run the car at around 90-100 km/h for 100km. That should burn off most of the carbon deposits.
. If the problem still persists, try engine cleaner additive with fuel.

Last edited by Aroy : 14th June 2018 at 10:44.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 11:33   #22
BHPian

Thanks a ton for the replies and messages guys. Hopefully have a few references through the process which will help me in future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
First of all the starter motor has nothing to do with engine performance. As its name signifies it is used just for starting - rotating the engine till it fires.

If possible check the ECU for error codes and attend to that. If it is fine then
Your diagnosis is spot on and thankfully didn't have to go beyond the first stage A faulty IAT sensor was the culprit, and just had to be plugged back securely. The error code went away and the jerkiness has disappeared! So all good for now.

One again, a big thanks for all the PMs and suggestions, goes to show why this forum is worth its weight in gold !
Old 24th October 2019, 19:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Our Mahindra Xylo E8 Nov. 2009 that has covered 3,34,000+ kms is giving Jerks if driven with AC ON for 40+ Kms on highway. The Jerks are as if there is water in Fuel or the Engine is starved for fuel.

If the Engine is run without AC, it runs smoothly without any Jerks (I checked for 180 Kms on return journey).

The Diesel Tank is cleaned, the Diesel Filter and Filter Body (Sorry for Mechanic's word) are replaced with new ones.

Initially before cleaning of Diesel Tank, the car would give Jerks even in city at speeds of 10-20kmph.

I am unable to understand what happens to the Engine Fuel supply after the car is run for 40+ at speeds of 80kph on highway with AC ON.

Please help me in this matter.

I fill Diesel only at Reliance Pumps if that helps.
Old 26th October 2019, 12:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any advice on above problem?
I am skeptical on getting the Injectors checked as I don't want to spend on solutions which won't yield results.
Old 27th October 2019, 10:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Our Mahindra Xylo E8 Nov. 2009 that has covered 3,34,000+ kms is giving Jerks if driven with AC ON for 40+ Kms on highway. The Jerks are as if there is water in Fuel or the Engine is starved for fuel.

If the Engine is run without AC, it runs smoothly without any Jerks (I checked for 180 Kms on return journey).

The Diesel Tank is cleaned, the Diesel Filter and Filter Body (Sorry for Mechanic's word) are replaced with new ones.

Initially before cleaning of Diesel Tank, the car would give Jerks even in city at speeds of 10-20kmph.

I am unable to understand what happens to the Engine Fuel supply after the car is run for 40+ at speeds of 80kph on highway with AC ON.

Please help me in this matter.

I fill Diesel only at Reliance Pumps if that helps.
If the problem is at high speeds especially with AC on, it points to fuel starvation, as at higher speeds especially with AC on you need more fuel. I suggest that you get your the fuel pump and fuel lines and all the way from the tank to the pump and further to the injectors checked.

It may be that either some part of the pipe is pinched or some stubborn dirt has lodged itself at a bent.
Old 27th October 2019, 11:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the problem is at high speeds especially with AC on, it points to fuel starvation, as at higher speeds especially with AC on you need more fuel. I suggest that you get your the fuel pump and fuel lines and all the way from the tank to the pump and further to the injectors checked.

It may be that either some part of the pipe is pinched or some stubborn dirt has lodged itself at a bent.
Sorry if I hurt you, But the problem occurs after running the car with AC for 40+ Kms on highways. How can Fuel supply be choked after running 40kms with AC? Is this related to any AC part?
Old 28th October 2019, 12:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if I hurt you, But the problem occurs after running the car with AC for 40+ Kms on highways. How can Fuel supply be choked after running 40kms with AC? Is this related to any AC part?
There are two clarifications needed
1. Have you observed this on a long, say 100km at high speeds without AC?
2. Did it happen in the peak of summer?

As I had said, AC just add more load and consumes fuel. If there is an obstruction in the pipe line then the fuel will be slowly depleted (wih less fuel coming into the line than is consumed) and after 40km the buffer runs out.
Old 28th October 2019, 15:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are two clarifications needed
1. Have you observed this on a long, say 100km at high speeds without AC?
2. Did it happen in the peak of summer?
1. I did the Running of 180 Kms one way out of which 6kms was in city (without AC), 150 Kms was on 4laned road, and remaining 25 Kms was on two lane road. On that 4laned road initial 40kms car ran fine with AC. After that car started giving Jerks as long as AC was On. After driving for 70-80 Kms, I turned off AC and drove the remaining distance.
I started at @9:00 am and reached my destination at 12:30pm.

While returning, we left the place at 5:16pm and reached hometown at 8:30pm.
As there was a lady with me (Mseb Engineer), I did not want to take chance and hence kept AC off for whole return journey. I did not cross 80kph.

I always keep the Speed below 80kph (Speedo indicated 85kph) even if I am the only one on a 4Laned Road (2lanes on either side of median).

2. It is happening since 5th or 6th Sept. 2019.

These jerks are experienced only when AC is used on highway. No Jerks if AC is Off.
Also the load in the car doesn't affect the Jerks occurrence.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 28th October 2019 at 15:06.
Old 28th October 2019, 18:10   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra Xylo E8 Nov. 2009 that has covered 3,34,000+ kms is giving Jerks if driven with AC ON for 40+ Kms on highway. The Jerks are as if there is water in Fuel or the Engine is starved for fuel.

Did you make a note of the temperature gauge? Is the engine overheating with the AC on? When was the radiator flushed, coolant replaced, and both the radiator and the AC condenser fins cleaned? Are both the cooling fans working, and at normal speed?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 10:11   #30
BHPian

Hello
you are not updating fellow BHPians on the problem you asked likely solution for.
BHPians give opinion suggestion to Test their understanding on Vehicles, and correct their understanding depending upon the actual problem found in that particular case and the actual solution.
Therefore timely feedback on course of diagnosis, spare parts, procedure and costs involved is expected from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnieshwartz View Post
Yesterday, I parked the car in the garage and then cleaned the corrosion deposits on the negative terminal. The problem as described in the original post, has practically disappeared ever since.
All the same, I will be replacing the spark plugs, fuel filter, as well as having a mechanic inspect the ignition coil.
Lightning2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks