Team-BHP - Shell engine oils & automotive lubricants. Available online
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Shell engine oils & automotive lubricants. Available online (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/145525-shell-engine-oils-automotive-lubricants-available-online.html)

Shell is has started selling their lubricants for automotive application online in association with Snapdeal in India. At present the services are restricted to the following locations:Link for online purchase: www.snapdeal.com/brand/shell

Key benefits:To avail price discount offer use the exclusive promotion code SHELL 26 at check out.

Special offer - Buy Helix Ultra 4 liter pack and receive a Shell breakdown assistance kit free of cost.

The link below contains detailed terms and conditions of the offer:
www.dapstrsdesigns.com/shell/tc-rsa.pdf

Is there any advantage price wise!? It doesn't seem to be. The price quoted for synthetic oil is roughly the same the service guys quote for my Fabia. Actually, I had an impression that the service guys get a significant cut from the oil price they quote. Just yesterday I got a flier from a new service center in my locality offering 1000/- gift card for Mobil synthetic oil replacement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cents (Post 3318963)
Is there any advantage price wise!?

There's a 10% discount on the listed price as of now, when you apply the promo code SHELL26 while checking out.

Does Shell have any equivalent of Mobil Delvac 1 for sale in India?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chncar (Post 3319051)
Does Shell have any equivalent of Mobil Delvac 1 for sale in India?

Actually no. There is nothing from Shell stable that competes with the delvac 1

This is good news. I always purchase their lubes from my neighborhood Shell pump for safety reasons, though I have to pay MRP. But sometimes the pack size I need will not be available, so I always buy a couple of months in advance for the car and keep one spare can for bike. Let me try this out next time.

Shell - Helix Ultra Synthetic - 5W 40 (4 Litre Pack) online price Rs.5000/-. Its very expensive online. Few days back I bought it for Rs.3800/- from local shop. I even got quote of Rs.3500/- from dealer located in Mumbai!

Gansan Do you find a price difference in local buying vs online

I don't know, I have not bought online so far. But the OP has posted about a 10% discount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max (Post 3319497)
Shell - Helix Ultra Synthetic - 5W 40 (4 Litre Pack) online price Rs.5000/-. Its very expensive online. Few days back I bought it for Rs.3800/- from local shop. I even got quote of Rs.3500/- from dealer located in Mumbai!

That's interesting. How do we make sure the oil is genuine? I mean that much margin :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 3319733)
I don't know, I have not bought online so far. But the OP has posted about a 10% discount.

You mentioned you picked up the oil locally so i thought you may know about the price you paid vs online price. I will find time to visit the nearest shell outlet and check the same. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadra (Post 3321407)
That's interesting. How do we make sure the oil is genuine? I mean that much margin :eek:

You mentioned you picked up the oil locally so i thought you may know about the price you paid vs online price. I will find time to visit the nearest shell outlet and check the same. Thanks

There are 2 seals on oil can. Seal one is the plastic cap which is tightened like soda bottle and then there is a aluminum foil seal on the cap. I think shell should be written somewhere, however I am not sure about it as i did not notice about it.

I can tell the oil was genuine because it came with the invoice and I am using it since last 8 years! (Thanks to GTO advice)

I have heard auto dealers have up to 30%-40% margin on MRP specially on these premium products because hardly anyone use fully synthetic oil in the car and they may have to shelf it for long time. This is why you will have to hunt for fully synthetic oil as they will not be readily available everywhere.

Actually I just found the pics of it. Here are the pics. I love clicking images, serves my memory well. :D

btw, my 30 minutes deadline for editing got over so posting followup post.

Shell engine oils & automotive lubricants. Available online-1.jpg

Shell engine oils & automotive lubricants. Available online-2.jpg

Shell engine oils & automotive lubricants. Available online-3.jpg

Seal
Shell engine oils & automotive lubricants. Available online-4.jpg

Shell engine oils & automotive lubricants. Available online-5.jpg

My car is running on this since last 8 years, its a fantastic oil needs changing only after 12 months or 10,000 kms. This time I flushed engine myself in workshop. Will post more about it in synthetic oil vs mineral oil post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadra (Post 3321407)

As I mentioned earlier, I always buy from Shell pumps and they always charge MRP. They don't give any discounts. But the oil will be genuine.

This is a good news indeed. We can get genuine oil, and we can choose from a better range of products!

I used to change the engine oil separately - I mean not with the usual service. I've heard the service centres sometimes mix the old oil with the new one, so that they can 'oil-change' 2 cars with one can of oil; and since the mixed oil is better than the old one, we'll feel the improvement. I never trust them and used to change the oil at a separate mechanic by buying the oil myself and watching him change the oil.

I picked up my own 6L supply of Shell HX6 Diesel (1x4L and 2x1L) recently from a Shell distributor, at a discount of approximately 14% off MRP. Since Snapdeal includes home delivery and a 10% discount, I think the pricing is well worth it, especially since genuineness of the oil is assured. I've spent more than the extra discount I got, to burn fuel and devote time and effort in picking up the cans.