Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 20:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Engine Oil Change - Synthetics or Minerals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Bumping up this thread for some information.

My Figo 1.2 is due for the third service at around 18500 kms. I am planning on converting to fully synthetic oil at the service .

What I need to know is,
- if the Ford A.S.S will do it and should I purchase the oil myself and provide it to them.
-If the engine needs to be flushed before pouring in the fresh oil,
-What is the best brand recommened and how much is a litre.

Thanks in advance
-can not comment about whether Ford A.S.S will have fully synthetic in stock but you can speak with them to find out whether they'll let you source oil by yourself. if your car is in warranty, make sure you make them do an entry in the service records mentioning that you supplied the oil by yourself and meets the specified grade.

-it is recommended that you do an engine flush.

-mobil1, or shell are most widely available oils. typically cost around 800 to a litre (or 1000 to a litre if you are sourcing through a mechanic).
infotech58 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 21:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Let me answer your questions in the same order as you had posted them.

1. Ford A.S.S should do it but I don't think Ford recommends synthetic oil in the Figo. Although this is something I can't wrap my mind around, this is what I have learnt. They would only use a 10W30 semi-synthetic for your car as per company instructions. However, you can still check with your A.S.S.
Secondly, if you carry your own oil, Ford doesn't honour warranty since the A.S.S would make a note that the customer used their own oil & it doesn't matter to Ford if you use the correct grade/specification of oil or not.

2. Do not get the engine flushed.

3. There are multiple brands out there, however, the "best oil" is a subjective affair. Choose according to your requirements & cost preferences, I would suggest.

Drive safe.

Quote:

My Figo 1.2 is due for the third service at around 18500 kms. I am planning on converting to fully synthetic oil at the service .

What I need to know is,
- if the Ford A.S.S will do it and should I purchase the oil myself and provide it to them.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 1st August 2012 at 21:51.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 22:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Let me answer your questions in the same order as you had posted them.

1. Ford A.S.S should do it but I don't think Ford recommends synthetic oil in the Figo. Although this is something I can't wrap my mind around, this is what I have learnt. They would only use a 10W30 semi-synthetic for your car as per company instructions. However, you can still check with your A.S.S.
Secondly, if you carry your own oil, Ford doesn't honour warranty since the A.S.S would make a note that the customer used their own oil & it doesn't matter to Ford if you use the correct grade/specification of oil or not.

2. Do not get the engine flushed.

3. There are multiple brands out there, however, the "best oil" is a subjective affair. Choose according to your requirements & cost preferences, I would suggest.

Drive safe.
Is it only the Figo or they do not recommend it for any Fords sold in India?
If semi-synthetic is what they recommend, I am fine with that as well.
I shall check with them anyhow.

Although the warranty on many of my cars parts are void, I dont think I would want to play with the warranty on this.
Old 2nd August 2012, 00:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

They do use the synthetic for their other cars, but I am not sure if my A.S.S had mentioned the model to be Endeavour or the Fiesta or both.

I also believe that a semi-synthetic engine oil is good enough & it is a good compromise between cost & protection of our car motors.

I had even written to Ford India about some queries pertaining to engine oils & had posted my email on the Figo thread as well. It is through those conversations with Ford India that I learnt about all these facts.

Quote:
Is it only the Figo or they do not recommend it for any Fords sold in India?
If semi-synthetic is what they recommend, I am fine with that as well.
I shall check with them anyhow.

Although the warranty on many of my cars parts are void, I dont think I would want to play with the warranty on this.
Old 17th May 2013, 19:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:

What I need to know is,

Thanks in advance
Checked the above with Ford A.S.S in Cochin(the older one)
-Wont do it! Some process restriction!
Ford use semi synthetic oil 10W30 for Figo Petrol as per SA.

I am planning to get myself moving to Carnation for getting the third service done. The quality of the free checkup(50 point check up) I received recently makes me move away from the FORD A.S.S. Grease marks all around the car and technician pouring battery water directly to battery without any measuring! They even gave me back the car with the seat in a weird position- pushed all the way back and sloped very much!

Any recommendation on Valvoline Durablend (10W40) semi-synthetic?
It is API SL grade? Should I look for API SM?

Also the person selling the Valvoline oil said it can be used in both Petrol and Diesel cars(they have API CF) rating also for the same oil! This is confusing me!

http://www.valvolinecummins.com/Prod...ils.asp?PID=19

Last edited by Sedate : 17th May 2013 at 19:03.
Old 18th May 2013, 15:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Checked the above with Ford A.S.S in Cochin(the older one)
-Wont do it! Some process restriction!
Ford use semi synthetic oil 10W30 for Figo Petrol as per SA.

Also the person selling the Valvoline oil said it can be used in both Petrol and Diesel cars(they have API CF) rating also for the same oil! This is confusing me!

http://www.valvolinecummins.com/Prod...ils.asp?PID=19
It is not that it cannot be done, it can be but they will not do it for you.

In my case , I checked with my service center and they said they will do it and I need to buy the oil from outside and did not mention anything about warranty being void if done.
I did not bother changing it mainly because, the oil that is present is semi-synth already which gives a good amount of smoothness and I wanted the fully synth for that extra smoothness and the other reason being, I checked around a could not find the right grade of fully synth oil for this engine and did not want to risk using any other grade. But yes, there are fully synth oil available in the same grade that is specified in the manuals. Just that you need to search for it. I think Petronas has it.

As for which oil and grade you want to go for, it is better to post that in the Mineral oil vs Synthetic oils thread ,as I am not sure.

Last edited by tharian : 18th May 2013 at 15:25.
Old 18th May 2013, 18:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Valvoline Durablend is a great oil......Valvoline has a great additive pack & also use good base oils.......use it without a worry, I think you would be happy with the results......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Old 28th May 2013, 13:39   #23
BHPian

My Swift DZire VXI is due for service after 50000 KMs and oil replacement. I am planning to put full synthetic oil. I am planning to take my car to Maruti authorized service centre. Any idea whether Maruti authorised service centres keep Full synthetic oils or we have to buy and provide them for replacement ?
Old 30th August 2017, 14:56   #24

My Ford Figo Diesel Titanium is going to touch 70000 Km within a week or two. I am considering to try Full Synthetic Engine Oil. I have shortlisted Mobile Super MGDO / 3000 F1 (5w40), Mobil 1 ESP (5w30), Castrol Edge Ti, Shell HX7 (10w40) and Shell Helix Ultra (5w40). What should be the best considering almost every aspect?
Old 30th August 2017, 15:15   #25
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsmile82 View Post
My Ford Figo Diesel Titanium is going to touch 70000 Km within a week or two. I am considering to try Full Synthetic Engine Oil.
Mobil 1 and Shell are both good brands when it comes to fully synth oils. Choose a viscosity rating based on what is recommended by your engine manufacturer.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 16:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Mobil 1 and Shell are both good brands when it comes to fully synth oils. Choose a viscosity rating based on what is recommended by your engine manufacturer.
I can't get the exact viscosity specification for Figo Diesel from Ford India official website. But somewhere it mentioned "Semi-Synthetic". So, a bit confused about the Viscosity rating. Should I use 5w30 or 5w40
Old 30th August 2017, 18:08   #27
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I use 5w30 or 5w40
5W40 will work well for the Figo. You have Mobil Delvac 1 which is a good one to use.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 19:12   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can't get the exact viscosity specification for Figo Diesel from Ford India official website. But somewhere it mentioned "Semi-Synthetic". So, a bit confused about the Viscosity rating. Should I use 5w30 or 5w40
You need to check your car's owners manual buddy. You should find a viscosity vs ambient temperature chart there.

Only use oils recommended for your engine. IIRC Ford engines in the Fiesta and Ikon were recommended 5W-30. This may have changed for newer models. You must refer to your manual. Please check and revert on this thread.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 21:44   #29
BHPian

Ford Figo Diesel (Duratorq 1.4L engine ??), it will be 5w30 specs of oil, and as others pointed, do check your manual for exact details.

Ford has their own nomenclature for lubes, I found some ref : WSS-M2C913-B

http://www.oilspecifications.org/ford.php
http://www.lubricants.total.com/prof...lers-ford.html
http://www.mobil1.co.in/products/product_5w30.aspx (see specs column)

Manual download : https://www.india.ford.com/owner/owner-manual/

also found a link to manual (do verify) on TBHP thread: https://goo.gl/bYRh4Z

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks