Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2006, 16:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Steering not smooth in return

Hi. I have a problem with the steering in my Indigo Marina LX. I recently found the steering was not smooth, and had it checked. Prerana motors said that the cross-link is damaged, and also both left rims had damage. Basically, it looks like my driver hit a pot-hole at speed.

After repairs, I find that the steering is not smooth during return. Like, if I turn the steering a lot, esp to the max, and then straighten up, I feel this lack of smoothness. Problem is more visible at lower speeds.

Can anyone pls tell me if I need to look out for anything, and why would this problem be. The car has power steering. PS liquid is fine. Alignment & balancing was done with the cross-link replacement [35k servicing]. I have done about 400km since this.

TIA.
Old 8th July 2006, 17:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get your tie-rod ends checked, they might have bcome stiff. Had the same problem on my Vtec. Steering used to feel wierd and unresponsive.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2006, 21:44   #3
BHPian

since u got the job done recently
1) Get the steering box adjusted.
2) Ball Joints check
3) Tie Rods
Old 10th July 2006, 11:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Shan2nu & 2fast4u, thanks for the inputs. Will get these checked.

Steering itself feels fine - otherwise smooth. But I definitely notice the problem when - at stand-still, the steering is completely turned, and then I start moving.
Old 12th July 2006, 20:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Been to the dealer for this and another issue. They said that for the condition I mentioned in my msg above, it is supposed to be "normal". As per the dealer, All Tata [Indica/Indigo] and even the Safari is supposed to be having this characteristic. But the Sumo doesnt have this since the Sumo's steering is by a different company - ZF Steering.

Have any other Indica / Indigo / Safari owners experienced this ? Pls do let me know .. and thanks !
Old 7th November 2006, 12:24   #6
BHPian

Steering hesitated to return from turn!

Today morning at speeds of 10-30 kmph I severed my OHC VTEC right and then left to overtake another vehicle. The surface was wet and had little loose sand over it.
As soon as I turned right to start the maneuver I felt, for a moment, that the steering wouldn't return to center as instantaneously as I expected it to. So I had to brake and help it to retun.
My question is if that's normal given the kind of surface and low speed I had?
The tie-rods, and the tie rod ends have been recently changed and I would rule out their mal-function. Also alignment is fine and recently done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks