Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2014, 07:15   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Was thinking about the traditional setup.
Then model/ factor in a wastegate.
Voila:

http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get...FULLTEXT01.pdf

Jeroen
Old 18th April 2014, 19:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Turbo lag v/s Boost threshold

^^^
As understanding of systems grow, and reliable computing power becomes cheaper, more and more systems will go towards model based control. And thus there will be a large number of papers on this.

(IIRC, in either VAG, or MB, NOX adsorber regeneration is model based.)

Personal question: Given your age, interests, and nationality, was wondering whether you have come across/ used something called TUTSIM.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th April 2014, 23:11   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^^
As understanding of systems grow, and reliable computing power becomes cheaper, more and more systems will go towards model based control. And thus there will be a large number of papers on this.

Personal question: Given your age, interests, and nationality, was wondering whether you have come across/ used something called TUTSIM.
i'm familiar with the concept of TUTSIM but I must admit I have never used it myself or have even met anybody that has used it.

i had the pleasure of spending a week at a science institute in the USA last week, (http://www.santafe.edu). I was amazed how just about every science makes use of very advanced modeling. Modeling a cars engine is simple compared to some of this stuff.

I was particularly intrigued by some of the models that are now being used by the financial sector to predict macro economic developments. It would be nice to have this brought down to the level where we could use it for our financial forecasting.

On a slightly more technical level, these sorts of very advanced models should be able to help predict where possible problems occur in IT and or Telecom networks. Pretty interesting. Rather for something to crash and then try and fix it, you try to predict what might crash and take preventive action.

I'm not clever enough by any means, but it is really impressive what you could do with modeling these days.

Jeroen
Old 29th April 2014, 00:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS. In a properly sized system, do we really need a wastegate? Any difference between petrols and diesels?
VGT turbos dont have wastegates ...the VGT mechanism is able to achieve the same function
Old 29th April 2014, 05:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
VGT turbos dont have wastegates ...the VGT mechanism is able to achieve the same function

No the don't, although I do seem to recall that on the earlier ones some still did. Cummins for some reason springs to mind?

Also, on applications like hotrods you might still find a waste gate in combination with a VGT. But then it is done typically more to get a cool sound, and the waste gate can be manually operated by the driver, so a somewhat different reason to put a waste gate in.

Jeroen
Old 29th April 2014, 08:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hmm...as in American Hotrods? AFAIK they are mostly big cube motors and maybe a supercharger ...but not turbo
Old 29th April 2014, 19:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm...as in American Hotrods? AFAIK they are mostly big cube motors and maybe a supercharger ...but not turbo
Google "turbo on hotrod" and you will get 2.340.560 links and images. So yes, there are quite a few hotrods out their with turbo's. A fair number of these links will take you to vendors selling these turbo's, clubs, events etc.

Here are a few of them:

Articles in hotrod: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...nce_selection/

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/t...er_comparison/

http://jalopnik.com/5396404/ecoboost...ged-v6-hot-rod

Jeroen
Old 29th April 2014, 21:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

I don't have to google anything, I live in America and know the hot-rod lifestyle well. Plus some of my colleagues own muscle cars and hot rods.

There maybe a handful of turbos but that is the exception and not the norm
Old 30th April 2014, 06:30   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't have to google anything, I live in America and know the hot-rod lifestyle well. Plus some of my colleagues own muscle cars and hot rods.

There maybe a handful of turbos but that is the exception and not the norm
I've lived in the US for some time too before moving to Indian and it is your privilege to believe what you want. Just keep you eyes and mind open to new experience and ideas that are coming your way. You might pick up some new insights and thoughts. Also, reading carefully what I wrote might help, I wrote
Quote:
on applications like hotrods you might still find a waste gate in combination with a VGT
. So I agree with you it's not the norm, but they are definitely out there and its also more then a few.

Take care and say hello to the hotrodders! They're a good bunch. I always liked talking to them, they will take anything on a car apart and rework it. I don't particularly like the hotrod style, but I like their attitude.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 30th April 2014 at 06:47.
Old 6th August 2015, 20:12   #40
BHPian

Ciaz Diesel - Remap for low-end power / performance

I have recently purchased Ciaz Diesel (VDI+) variant. The engine power delivery is okay/acceptable after crossing the 2000 RPM mark. At lower RPMs (1000 - 1400), power delivery is very lacking - I have been driving Swift VXI and Thar, and both give good response at lower RPM's. It has also happened that sometimes I floor the accelerator pedal, even then the car takes its time to gather speed - but this also brings down the FE drastically.

I am thinking if a Remap can give better lower-end performance (I am not looking for a 120 BHP power increase, better low end performance / torque is what I am looking for). Has someone remapped the DDiS for better lower end performance?

Also, on forums I am seeing remap being offered by different companies - race dynamics, red rooster performance, petes, Lap47 (Evo Tech). Which one would be a better option? especially that max-out power is NOT what I want?

thanks
Siva
Old 6th August 2015, 20:50   #41
BHPian

Re: Ciaz Diesel - Remap for low-end power / performance

Checkout Code 6. Or Head straight to Bay 6 Motorworks Hosa Road, Bangalore.
Low end will definitely increase with improved linear accelaration.
Remap works best for low end grunt and maintains the torque.
Old 6th August 2015, 21:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
I have recently purchased Ciaz Diesel (VDI+) variant. The engine power delivery is okay/acceptable after crossing the 2000 RPM mark. At lower RPMs (1000 - 1400), power delivery is very lacking - I have been driving Swift VXI and Thar, and both give good response at lower RPM's.

I am thinking if a Remap can give better lower-end performance (I am not looking for a 120 BHP power increase, better low end performance / torque is what I am looking for). Has someone remapped the DDiS for better lower end performance?

thanks
Siva
The 75 hp of Multijet (called DDIS by Maruti) has lesser turbo lag than 90Hp. Which is why swift feels more sprightly at lower rpms.

There are a couple of Punto 90hps in the forum remapped and they reportedly are almost as fast as Tjet.
Old 6th August 2015, 22:09   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Just do a remap from any of the reputed brands. The turbo will spool faster, and you will get better low end. If you really want some performance, blank out the EGR, and bypass cat con.

I've heard good things about Code6.
Old 6th August 2015, 23:39   #44
BHPian

Drove a Code6 remapped Fiesta couple of days ago and boy oh boy that was a nice experience. Way too better than the stock one. After the remap you can feel the surge when the turbo is spooled up and the sweet whistle is more audible. God I love that sound.

Code6 guys are very friendly and knowledgeable. You can tell them your requirements and they can customize in which ever way you prefer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks