Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2014, 09:13   #1
BHPian

Speedometer Needle: Shaking & vibrating

Hi

I have a 2003 Non-Crde scorpio. It uses the Mechanical Speedometer with the rotating cable. There is lot of jump in the Speedometer Needle.
This Vibration of the Speedometer cable reduces on replacing the Speedometer Cable, but doesn't go away completely and comes back after a few months.

I remember long time back in my Yamaha RD350 had the same issue. My mechanic took it to a speedometer repair person and he applied some damping grease or something inside the speedometer and after that the needle moved smoothly without any vibration or bouncing.

I am wondering if this kind of Speedometer damping would be possible in the manual Speedometer of my Scorpio. Has anybody tried this ?

Anybody knows of a good speedometer repair shop in South Delhi ? The speedometer of my bike was fixed more than 15 years ago at the speedometer repair shops in Moti Nagar in West Delhi.

Styler.
Old 26th April 2014, 10:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Speedometer Needle: Shaking & vibrating

The problem could be the hairspring inside the speedometer. Hairspring holds the 'speed cup' inside mechanical speedometers and if they break or become loose, the pointer can jump abruptly on the dial. I will advise to swap your speedometer with a known good one to see if the same cable performs fine with it. If it does, you know that your old gauge is at fault.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 15:35   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Speedometer Needle: Shaking & vibrating

My Jeep has suffered from needle shake. Service advisor says that lubricating / greasing cables solved the problem.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 16:20   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My Jeep has suffered from needle shake. Service advisor says that lubricating / greasing cables solved the problem.
It could be that the speedo gear gone kaput that could be making the needle jump.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 16:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

+1

It is the speedo worm gear installed on the gear box that is most likely the culprit ; the speedo cable end which is inserted into the worm gear assembly is squarish in cross section ; and the opening in the worm gear could have become slightly rounded causing this low "fidelity"

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2014 at 10:42. Reason: Typos
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 17:08   #6
BHPian

Following Two are the causes ,
1.The tip of the cable towards the speedometer has to be square. May be it has rounded of. If so change the cable .
2. Speedometer where cable goes in will be rounded of, if so please change the Speedometer. Don’t repair it.
Some do Brass weld to get that square, I advice against it.
narendra.vw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 18:35   #7
BANNED

Knowing vigsom I will tend to agree with his reasoning, as the first point of attack.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 21:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Does the odometer read correctly? In that case the cable is not slipping.

Needle flicking is normally the sign of a sticky inner cable. Normally caused by a kink. Don't know if it is possible to do so in your vehicle, but if you can open the cable from the speedo, and hold it lightly between your fingers while somebody else drives, you should be able to make out whether the inner cable is moving smoothly, or in jerks.

Another common problem is of oil (from the GB) coming into the speedo. But the fact that replacing the cable temporarily solves the problem means that oil is not the problem.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 22:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Anybody knows of a good speedometer repair shop in South Delhi ?
Call up Imtiaz once and check whether he's aware on how to resolve this kind of a problem, in case he is, better take your Scorpio here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...new-delhi.html

This guy is sincere in his work and I've called him a couple of times to get opinion and once I got my Swift's EGR valve cleaned from him and he did a fantastic job!

I know you might be wary of the references in the Delhi directory but in case you don't find any other repair shop and he confirms he can resolve it over the phone, he's worth a try.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 16:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It could be that the speedo gear gone kaput that could be making the needle jump.

Anurag.
Thanks, The Speedometer is working, just that the needle is kind of shaking. It is not gone wild. So the cable has surely not gone kaput. Worn out maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
+1

It is the speedo worm gear installed on the gear box that is most likely the culprit ; the speedo cable end which is inserted into the worm gear assembly is squarish in cross section ; and the opening in the worm gear coul dhave become slightly rounded casing this low "fidelity"
This is quite possible. Either the Needle or the gear at one side is worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
Following Two are the causes ,
1.The tip of the cable towards the speedometer has to be square. May be it has rounded of. If so change the cable .
2. Speedometer where cable goes in will be rounded of, if so please change the Speedometer. Don’t repair it.
Some do Brass weld to get that square, I advice against it.
Yes the needle tends to vibrate and not be smooth and stable once the Cable or the Gear at one end is worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Does the odometer read correctly? In that case the cable is not slipping.

Needle flicking is normally the sign of a sticky inner cable. Normally caused by a kink. Don't know if it is possible to do so in your vehicle, but if you can open the cable from the speedo, and hold it lightly between your fingers while somebody else drives, you should be able to make out whether the inner cable is moving smoothly, or in jerks.

Another common problem is of oil (from the GB) coming into the speedo. But the fact that replacing the cable temporarily solves the problem means that oil is not the problem.

Regards
Sutripta

Thanks everybody for the gyan. As narendra mentions the cable is square at the ends, and is rotated through a gear in the gear box, and then rotates the gear in the speedometer.
I think the needle tends to start shaking if a play develops, or if somehow is transmitting a jerky rotational movement to the speedometer. A new cable does reduce the vibration in the speedometer for some time, so it is quite possible the play reduces when a new cable is installed.
In 10 years and having done over a lac I am sure the gear inside the meter would also have worn out to cause a play.
First thing, I am going to do is replace the cable again. Then I will get the meter serviced. I have found some good meter repair shops here.

Styler

I think it is a worn out
Old 27th April 2014, 17:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the "worm" replaced at both ends- wheel-side and meter-side. It's a common word and a meter technician will understand.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 15:48   #12
BHPian

Hyundai Getz RPM and speedo needle vibrate?

Hey, I just noticed that when I slot the key in and turn it(not ignition), the RPM needle and speedo needle vibrate about their position and come back to rest. Is this normal? Is this some kind of re-zeroing calibration thingy?

Here's a video for reference: happens at the 6th , 13th and 18th second mark.

Old 21st February 2016, 16:05   #13
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Getz RPM and speedo needle vibrate?

Well in my opinion there is nothing to worry about. In our Figo(old gen) and in my brother in law's Polo, I have observed the same behavior with the needles(even fuel gauge in Figo) when the electricals are turned up. I think they just gets activated or something because everything is electrically controlled in today's instrument cluster(instead of mechanicals of yesteryear). These are the small things which rarely gets noticed during the ownership period and often comes to surface as a surprise. Still I would say that other Getz owners must pitch in to verify the behavior.

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 21st February 2016 at 16:07.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 17:30   #14
BHPian

Speedometer and RPM needle jumping around

Our Chevrolet Beat's instrument cluster has gone haywire! The digital RPM needle starts dancing at around 2000RPM even when idling and the analog speedometer needle, when driving, jumps erratically up and down.

I replaced the instrument cluster's fuse, assuming that this was the culprit but it wasn't and the issue still remains.

Is it something to do with faulty sensors or do I have to completely replace the instrument cluster?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks