Team-BHP - Confusion - Is it high time to switch over to LPG
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Confusion - Is it high time to switch over to LPG (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/15112-confusion-high-time-switch-over-lpg-2.html)

I suppose we are mixing CNG and LPG. AFAIK they are not the same.

Yes they are not the same
LPG is butane and CNG is methane.
LPG is available almost everywhere, but CNG is rare to find.

They do have one thing in common, if its not a company fitted LPG/CNG kit, you lose your warranty. And if you do lots of highway trips, you are better of with petrol/diesel as thats what you will find everywhere, not LPG or CNG

hey guys, go for cng, for swift as far as i know has the same engine as esteem and that means that its gud for cng...i've been running my new esteem on cng for 3 months and i get an avg. of 20-22 kms per kg in city wid ac.

the 1.3l engine in these cars is made of aluminium and that means that its lighter and cools off more easily....and provides gud power.
there is a little slow acceleration but economy overshadows it and my esteem does 140 k easily on highway(ma factory is on jaipur highway).

as for lpg vs cng i'll go for cng coz its govt. certified and i've seen it working well in a CRV and my friends vitara too.

How much these CNG kit costs? But I dont think there is a bunk which provides CNG. Not heard of any cars that run on CNG in chennai, anyone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise
How much these CNG kit costs? But I dont think there is a bunk which provides CNG. Not heard of any cars that run on CNG in chennai, anyone?

CNG's not available in Chennai.
cheers,

I have been using LPG in my 2001 Zen since the last 2.5 yrs.
I have had numerous issues with tuning and FE with it ... but with a helpful dealer in Auto-LPG ... these have never been a detterent.
Cost me 18K in Advani auto Pune and been a happy man ever since.
Run 20K+ km in my car after fitting.
Before LPG mileage -13 kmpl
Post LPG mileage -12 kmpl
have had issues with pick-up couple of times ... but set right by the dealer.
overall, considering the petrol prices, guess this is the best investment I have made
I have fit a 48L tank and can fill it upto 38 L. It occupies all of the boot.
A smaller 40L tank that can be kept in place of the stepny is a better option if you want to release the floorspace in your boot.
Last - but an important consideration in Pune is availability of LPG.
There are only 5 operating pumps and at any given point in time, only 3 are operational.
Sangoi opp Rahul Theatre is the only one who has supplies consistently ... but you have queues almost 0.5 km long during the day.
Best time to tank up is early morning before 8:30 on sundays.
Let me know if you need any further details

Quote:

Originally Posted by INNOVATOR
I have been using LPG in my 2001 Zen since the last 2.5 yrs.
I have fit a 48L tank and can fill it upto 38 L. It occupies all of the boot.
A smaller 40L tank that can be kept in place of the stepny

& you can also have a 60 L tank with a capacity of 48L... equivalent to 480 running kms before refuelling.
Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj.hoodster
hey guys, go for cng, for swift as far as i know has the same engine as esteem and that means that its gud for cng...i've been running my new esteem on cng for 3 months and i get an avg. of 20-22 kms per kg in city wid ac.

the 1.3l engine in these cars is made of aluminium and that means that its lighter and cools off more easily....and provides gud power.
there is a little slow acceleration but economy overshadows it and my esteem does 140 k easily on highway(ma factory is on jaipur highway).

as for lpg vs cng i'll go for cng coz its govt. certified and i've seen it working well in a CRV and my friends vitara too.

CNG in vitara and CRV...... did i hear anything wrong....

Quote:

Originally Posted by shivmarwaha
CNG in vitara and CRV...... did i hear anything wrong....

no brother, go to tara dutt in kotla mubarakpur and you can find anything from a zen to crv getting a cng kit...the guy with vitara is a childhood friend of mine

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj.hoodster
no brother, go to tara dutt in kotla mubarakpur and you can find anything from a zen to crv getting a cng kit...the guy with vitara is a childhood friend of mine

Hi mj.hoodster,
Good to see people noticing the value of gas based kits... either LPG or CNG. Have you driven the Vitara or the CRV?
Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
10% max!

The new tech LPG kits come with ECU and injector cut-off,blah blah...
I'd say u go ahead with the LPG kit. Call me if u need help, i'll hook u up with Lovato in chennai.

nope...lovato no good. i am using lovato now for 5 years & i get frequent problems with maintenance (Of course this is my second installation, the first time it was on a 1000). i would recommend Zavoli & i can recommend the perfect guy too.

regarding the mileage, it drops 5-10%, not more. The drive is a lot smoother without the jerks. but if u r the guy that requires the xtra zip, its not for u, specially in the highways when u want to overtake a speeding scorpio or any diesel vehicle. what i do is change into petrol till i get a good lead & change right back

Esteem_lover is quite right.Even, i've seen a few complaints with Lovato kits although they're VERY popular.

@Esteem_lover:Is that a carb Esteem or an MPFi esteem that u drive??

Guys,
Any idea on resale value after conversion ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishaltanksale
Guys,
Any idea on resale value after conversion ?

Its the same as anything else... resell is hardly worth talking about... but you would anyway break-even at the end of 6/8 months, depending on your daily driving. Last, (and not the best option) you can take out the kit and retrofit it in your new vehicle..
Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
Esteem_lover is quite right.Even, i've seen a few complaints with Lovato kits although they're VERY popular.

@Esteem_lover:Is that a carb Esteem or an MPFi esteem that u drive??

i drive 1998 carb esteem. mpfi is better for LPG