Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 00:53   #1
BHPian

Honda Brio: Brake Noise

Hi guys. A brake problem has surfaced on my 7month old, 3900 km on ODO Brio SMT.

It first started about a month ago. Every time I take the car out in the morning, the first 2-3 times I step on the brake I could hear a distinct squeaking sound from the brakes. It would definitely go away after that. I thought it was just a bit of rust on the rotors and it would go after a few stops. But now it seems the problem is getting worse.

I did some low speed braking tests today and one time when I fully applied the brake it made some sort of mild grinding noise and there was a sensation of the brakes locking up or some sort of Juddering. I can't exactly make out what it is.

It's been a month after its second service (6th month service) and the squeaking trouble first started around that time. Can't remember if it is after or before.

Can anybody tell me what might be wrong with my car?

The only mod that I have done is that I changed the stock MRF tyres to bigger 196/55/R16 Bridgestones. Surely that can't be it, right?

Also I should point out that the rotors on disc's have unsually high rust on them.

What should I expect from the service guys?

Any suggestions and advice from you guys will be really helpful.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2014 at 13:05.
Old 20th June 2014, 01:30   #2
BANNED

re: Honda Brio: Brake Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post

I did some low speed braking tests today and one time when I fully applied the brake it made some sort of mild grinding noise and there was a sensation of the brakes locking up or some sort of Juddering. I can't exactly make out what it is.
Get the discs and pads cleaned once and see if the sound re-surfaces or no and I also suggest you to bleed the brakes completely once to be doubly sure.

Tyres cannot be an issue at all.

Anurag.
Old 20th June 2014, 08:23   #3
BHPian

This can actually be a small problem. Had a similar problem once on one of my vehicles, the. Problem was diagnosed to small stones stuck between the disc and brake-pad area making the noise. So as
a4anurag suggested, get it cleared and the brakes bled. This should sort it out for you in general case.
richie4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 10:42   #4
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Does your Brio have ABS? The reason I ask is on panic breaking even at low speeds such as 40-50 kmph, the ABS does kick-in and there will be a slight judder that you feel in the brake pedal accompanied by a clicking noise. This sound is of the ABS in action and is normal.

If yours is a non-ABS Brio, then ask them to clean the brake disc and pads and that should solve your problem. I drive a ABS equipped Brio and have noticed the juddering/pumping action on the brake pedal accompanied by the clicking noise.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 11:09   #5
BHPian

Well last night I gave the car a good cleaning including the Brake discs and today morning there seems to be no squeaking noise or anything.

Did an emergency stop from 25-30 and it did lock up with some squealing noise. But that might be normal considering the lack of ABS. Other than that nothing.

But the wheel hubs and rotors are still ridiculously rusted up for a 6 month old car.

Now I am confused whether to actually go to the service center or not.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 20th June 2014, 13:08   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Brio: Brake Noise

Quote:
It first started about a month ago. Every time I take the car out in the morning, the first 2-3 times I step on the brake I could hear a distinct squeaking sound from the brakes. It would definitely go away after that.
Common issue; I've noticed an increase in frequency during the monsoons or if the car isn't used for a day or two. From SS-Traveller's thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Some cars may show poor or "grabby" brake grip with vibrations & noise when starting off from cold - this disappears as soon as the brakes warm up.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 14:50   #7
BHPian

Same issue surfaced in our 4 months old Ritz ZXi & the MASS guys just rubbed the brake pads a little & the problem was solved.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 21:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

juddering could also mean warped brake discs
Old 21st June 2014, 09:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did an emergency stop from 25-30 and it did lock up with some squealing noise. But that might be normal considering the lack of ABS. Other than that nothing.

But the wheel hubs and rotors are still ridiculously rusted up for a 6 month old car.
Hi Nakul,

Glad that the noise is gone. Did you click any pictures of the rusted areas to give us an idea?
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 11:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now I am confused whether to actually go to the service center or not.

Thanks for the suggestions!
The Rotors are generally made of cast iron, so they accumulating rust during the monsoon or when the car is not used for some days is very common ( as already confirmed by GTO) and there is nothing to panic for this.

When the car crosses a puddle or you drive over mud or slush, sometimes small particles get stuck between the rotor and the brake pads and that causes a grinding noise when the brakes are applied. So there is no specific reason as to why this has happened. If you continue like this for long, it may damage the rotors.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 12:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Nakul,

Glad that the noise is gone. Did you click any pictures of the rusted areas to give us an idea?
yup, here is a pic.

Honda Brio: Brake Noise-dscn0366.jpg

None of the other two cars have this much rust on them. My year and half old City's wheel hubs and rotors looks shiny clean compared to this.

Last edited by nakul0888 : 21st June 2014 at 12:30.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 14:40   #12
BANNED

Quote:
yup, here is a pic.

None of the other two cars have this much rust on them. My year and half old City's wheel hubs and rotors looks shiny clean compared to this.
Isn't this looking a manufacturing defect?

This is not normal anyways so why don't you ask Honda to change the discs totally?!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 16:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yup, here is a pic.
Thanks, Nakul!

For me that amount of rust looks ok for the cast iron parts. However, I shall check my car and confirm back to you on this thread!
Old 21st June 2014, 17:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

This is not normal anyways so why don't you ask Honda to change the discs totally?!

Anurag.
Well I'll be damned. I think a proper visit is necessary to clear this one out.
I knew something was odd here.
Old 22nd June 2014, 07:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Rust on brake discs is a manufacturing defect, and that merits changing the discs? Seriously?

@nakul0888: What you see is pretty common. Get the service centre to clean the pads and discs, and lubricate the caliper pins. That should solve your problem.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks