Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 09:09   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Sail Diesel - Performance issues

Hello Guru's,

There has been this silly problem with my Chevrolet Sail Diesel, Firstly the engine was underpowered, no matter what I did the car didn't rev above 3000 RPM ( Both in idle as well as running) and didn't go north of 100KMPH and if I insisted there was this white smoke, which really scared me. But while investigating at Chevrolet ASS, the culprit was found to be a rubber hose which helps in creating vacuum for the turbo. It was replaced under warranty and thus the pick up was restored and the engine was roaring again. I am satisfied with the performance though, but while testing the vehicle on highway, I tried to rev the engine and see if the car goes north of 100KMPH, but to my dismay the car didn't cross 120KMPH and around 120KMPH the car starts shivering ( the engine I mean) and the power throw was in cycle ( for few seconds it shot and then started shivering and this cycle repeated).

Please Help....

Last edited by GTO : 4th August 2014 at 12:02. Reason: No mention of illegally high speeds please
pg83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Sail Diesel - Performance issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
Hello Guru's,

There has been this silly problem with my Chevrolet Sail Diesel, Firstly the engine was underpowered, no matter what I did the car didn't rev above 3000 RPM ( Both in idle as well as running) and didn't go north of 100KMPH and if I insisted there was this white smoke, which really scared me. But while investigating at Chevrolet ASS, the culprit was found to be a rubber hose which helps in creating vacuum for the turbo. It was replaced under warranty and thus the pick up was restored and the engine was roaring again. I am satisfied with the performance though, but while testing the vehicle on highway, I tried to rev the engine and see if the car goes north of 100KMPH, but to my dismay the car didn't cross 120KMPH and around 120KMPH the car starts shivering ( the engine I mean) and the power throw was in cycle ( for few seconds it shot and then started shivering and this cycle repeated).
I am still wondering what is wrong with the car as the same car use to touch 140-150KMPH easily.
Please Help....
Cleaned the air filter ? What about tyre pressures ? If all of this is a check, try disconnecting the battery terminals and re connecting them back after like 10 minutes and see what happens !
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Cleaned the air filter ? What about tyre pressures ? If all of this is a check, try disconnecting the battery terminals and re connecting them back after like 10 minutes and see what happens !
Got new fuel filter and air filter when we troubleshot for the faulty rubber hose.
By disconnecting the battery terminal, do you want me to reset the ECM?
Also I tried to troubleshoot any ECM codes by portable bluetooth obd2 device elm 327, but it did t show any error codes on ECM.
pg83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check the turbo hose pipes too. Hook up the ecu scanner and go for a spin with the service centre guys. See if the desired boost is in the specifications. Max boost should go upto 2400/2500. Ask them to reset the ecu too.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 12:05   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevrolet Sail Diesel - Performance issues

I think your Sail might be affected by this recall : Link with more details.

Please have it checked.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 13:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Please have it checked.
Just curious, how does a cranckshaft hub bolt affect performance as described?

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 21:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Please have it checked.
I have already got this part replaced( here is the image of the part that was replaced) and after that I have driven my car more than 15000 KMS but have not faced any problem, although I do not encourage driving at such speed but it is really bothering me as why my car is not going north of 120KMPH and what is that vibration?
Chevrolet Sail Diesel - Performance issues-hub-bolt.jpg

Chevrolet Sail Diesel - Performance issues-hub-bolt-1.jpg
Old 11th August 2014, 09:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

For all you know , the vibrations might be a result of out-of-balance tyres too.

When did you get your wheels aligned and balanced last
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 09:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
For all you know , the vibrations might be a result of out-of-balance tyres too.

When did you get your wheels aligned and balanced last
The vibration isnt from Wheels, although i got them aligned and balanced last week only. Had it been from Wheels it wouldn't be cyclic.
Old 12th August 2014, 03:36   #10
BHPian

Hi,

Is this issue consistent or is it intermittent?

If your car is not revving beyond a certain limit like 2000-3000rpm when running or standstill and feels like a speed governor is fixed, try getting your MAF sensor cleaned which can sort out the power issue, if this is the issue you will not get any errors logged in your ecm. I am not sure if the vibration is because of the same issue but it might just be your feeling since the engine does not rev freely and might feel as it is running rough.

Last edited by rocky080 : 12th August 2014 at 03:37.
rocky080 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 07:18   #11
BANNED

Hi Pg83
Very sorry to hear about the problem in your car.
Can you check the car in the following steps.
1. Park the car and put in neutral.
2. Now raise engine RPM in steps of 500. Starting from say 1000, 1500 etc till the max. Preferably have the service center personnel standing by.
3. Hold each RPM for about 3 to 4 minutes to let the turbocharger attain full RPM and charge air pressure to stabilize at that engine RPM.
4. Since you mentioned you have obd2 reading device you can read out the charge air pressure at each step.
5. If it is an engine side problem it should show up here. If not then it may be transmission/drive shaft/wheel balancing issue.

Also you mentioned you got the crankshaft hub bolts replaced and run trouble free for 15000km. Can you recheck them for tightness. Along with the same check all the components that were removed to carry out this job.

My guess is the turbocharger may be out of balance or crank shaft balancing issue.
It may also be improper fuel injection in any one cylinder at high RPM causing this vibrations.
Please keep us posted.
Take care
norhog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 08:28   #12
BANNED

Quote:
I tried to rev the engine and see if the car goes north of 100KMPH, but to my dismay the car didn't cross 120KMPH and around 120KMPH the car starts shivering ( the engine I mean) and the power throw was in cycle ( for few seconds it shot and then started shivering and this cycle repeated).
Fuel quality and the injector condition - may need cleaning.

What about EGR system?!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:11   #13
BHPian

Went to Padam motors, Chandigarh for 30K Service, got the following things done:
1. Engine Oil and filter replacement.
2. Air Filter replacement.
3. Fuel Filter replacement.
4. Engine Flush.
5. Engine decard.

Before these things were done, the Mechanic was unable to diagnose the problem, but after the service, this problem got resolved and the car is not running smooth. No issues at all.
Only matter of concern is replacement of 3rd Air filter in mere 30K run and that too when i cruise mostly on highways.
Never the less the car is performing like it should.
Old 6th August 2020, 10:35   #14
BHPian

Hello Guru’s
My car has done 1.55 Lac KM as of now, but recently – last 5000KMs to be precise, there is a light on dashboard (the one which shows the coil) which is blinking intermittently.
Earlier, I went to ASS in Gurgaon where they checked it and after keeping the car for 2 days could not find the root cause, ultimately they called somebody from other agency who asked to clean the EGR valve. The cleaning of EGR valve, although it was choked did not solve the problem. After this cleaning, they reset the ECM which resolved the problem for some time.
The problem that is being faced is that this light comes intermittently, when it comes the Engine goes under boost, it is very difficult to maintain speed of 90 kmph and overtaking other vehicles especially on highways have become risky. No matter what we do it does not cross 90KMPH mark and whenever the light stops blinking, the Engine performs like it should.
Following are the things that have been done to sort out this issue so far:
1. Checking of all the hoses for any leakages.
2. Replacement of hose which connects intercooler and turbo.
3. Cleaning of EGR Valve.
4. Checked of turbo from both sides to find any oil spills inside the turbo.
5. Replaced air filter.
After going through all these steps, now the technician at the agency insists that the Turbo has gone bad and on asking why he thinks so, he does not give any satisfactory answer, after going through few online videos for troubleshooting the failure of turbo, I don’t think my car’s Turbo has gone bad as my car does not emit any black smoke. Regarding replacement of turbo, I have asked him to replace the turbo temporarily with some other car and if this solves the problem, we can go ahead and buy a new one.
As I don’t have any intention to replace my car, any help in this matter is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Punit
Old 6th August 2020, 11:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guru’s
My car has done 1.55 Lac KM as of now, but recently – last 5000KMs to be precise, there is a light on dashboard (the one which shows the coil) which is blinking intermittently.
Symptoms indicative of a diesel injector in vehicles like Duster 110, considering you have checked most other bits and found that Turbo seals are alright, Injector is most likely the culprit. Please have them checked.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks