Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2006, 15:37   #1
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Polyurethane instead of rubber grommets

Friends:

Does anyone know about replacing the rubber grommets in a Maruti 800 (or any other car for that matter) with polyurethane or polygraphite bushings?

These black rubber chunks are used where the A-Arm (kai.nchii) meets the subframe. Also on anti-roll bar links and MacPherson mountings -- All of which are found on the Maruti 800 and eventually spoil.
Unfortunately rubber is a perishable commodity. In India, it'll eventually break in two.

Want to get all my Maruti 800 bushings replaced.

Ram
Old 24th July 2006, 20:36   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Friends:

Does anyone know about replacing the rubber grommets in a Maruti 800 (or any other car for that matter) with polyurethane or polygraphite bushings?

These black rubber chunks are used where the A-Arm (kai.nchii) meets the subframe. Also on anti-roll bar links and MacPherson mountings -- All of which are found on the Maruti 800 and eventually spoil.
Unfortunately rubber is a perishable commodity. In India, it'll eventually break in two.

Want to get all my Maruti 800 bushings replaced.

Ram
The main feature of these Grommets is to provide a cushiony effect between 2 metal parts of which one is moving,because of its flexibility. I am not so sure about the flexibility of polyurethane & polygraphite. Polycarbonate may be a better option, but then I am not so sure.

So long....
Old 25th July 2006, 02:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Replacing rubber bushing with polyureathane is a common modification in racing cars.
Its provides more lateral compliance and gives a more sporty feel.
But the rubber is softer and absorbs the vibrations. Your're going feel more harshness and vibes with poly.
Also done for engine mounts, strut mounts, rack mounts. The real hardcore ones use heim joints and uni*****.
BTW, M800 does not use A-arm type, it uses a lateral link and brake reaction rod cum sway bar.
Old 25th July 2006, 11:14   #4
BHPian

Polycarbonate???!!!!!!!
Are you sure, AFAIK, that stuff is realll hard
Old 25th July 2006, 11:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Take a look at this site. I'm trying to get something similar for my car as well.

From what I've read on the Skoda forums, it tightens up the ride nicely, and has the added benefit of lasting a lot longer than the standard rubber bushings.
Old 25th July 2006, 12:38   #6
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy
The main feature of these Grommets is to provide a cushiony effect between 2 metal parts of which one is moving,because of its flexibility. I am not so sure about the flexibility of polyurethane & polygraphite. Polycarbonate may be a better option, but then I am not so sure.

So long....
Polyurethane bushings are quite common on sports and racing cars. They give the firm handling that rubber cannot.

Polycarbon is not polycarbonate!
Polycarbonate
is a hard plastic that maintains shape until 115.5 degrees Celsius.
It is moulded into 3 mm thick clear "glass" for aerodynamic headlamps.
It is marketed under the commercial names like "Lexan", "Tuffak" and "Zelux".

Polygraphite (also called Polycarbon) is the same artificial "rubber" used to make woofers and subwoofers.

Plain Polyurethane bushings tend to squeak after some use. The polygraphite ones benefit from the self-lubricating properties of graphite.

Ram
Old 25th July 2006, 12:39   #7
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
BTW, M800 does not use A-arm type, it uses a lateral link and brake reaction rod cum sway bar.
Specifically, I was alluding to the Maruti 800's front Suspension.
This has a lower "A" arm, without the cross member. Some call it a Wishbone. Be it so!
At the upper end, it has a MacPherson strut that inserts into the shock tower.

I meant that MacPherson-Wishbone front suspension.

I'd like to replace its rubber inserts,
and the semicircular rubber bushings on the anti-roll bar,
with new rubber ones
or polyurethane
or graphite-impregnated polyurethane (also known as polygraphite or polycarbon).

Ram
Old 25th July 2006, 15:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ram, i had the idea of changing the rubber bushes in my 800. I dropped the idea when i came to know that all the bushings have to be made as it's not readily available here. Someone gave me nylon bushes as an option and said they knew a chap who makes them. But i dopped the idea got onvinced that rubber indeed is the better option on the roads i drive.

The rubber bush inside the lower arms (where ti tbolts to the subframe) are not replaceable. So you might not be able to change it. Another option would be to use zen lower arms with the matching zen bushes for antirollbar. These are better made.

If you are to get them PU bushes keep me posted.
Old 27th April 2011, 19:26   #9
BHPian

Polyurethane bushes for the Mondeo

Hi,

Has anyone replaced the stock rubber bushes with poly bushes on the mondeo? Any benefits from the same?

I am going in for a complete suspension change on the Mondeo replacing the current one with a fresh OE set. Getting the bushes also replaced with OE set. Read about the poly bushes and wanted to get an opinion on it. Apparently petes automomotive is a dealer for this in India. Any one has used it before on any car?
Old 30th April 2011, 06:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Polyurethane instead of rubber grommets

Polyurethane bushings will def. last longer, but not neccasarily perform better. PU has a high permanent set.

The best bet would be to get some excellent quality synthetic rubber bushes.
Theoritically, good quality synthetic rubber bushes will last upward of 3-4 years, at least. Sourcing them, however will be difficult. That said, even OEM / Maruti Genuine rubber parts are usually not very great quality.
Old 13th August 2017, 20:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Polyurethane instead of rubber grommets

I had read about PU bushings on a lot of international sites, where they are recommended as superior, and providing better handling for us enthusiast types compared to rubber.
I am not sure about indian conditions, but the reason I am considering them is, I end up having to do a suspension overhaul every 2 years, and of that, I enjoy the benefit of the new bushings only for the first 6-8 months or so, after which, the ride quality deteriorates, and the last 6-8 months are driving on more or less non existent bushings with awful handling.

Yes, I do tend to drive WRC style over potholes, but this is mostly due to my pathetically useless headlights, which are of no help in spotting them at night. While I know that changing my driving style is the appropriate thing to do, but is there an alternative ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks