Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 15:56   #1
BHPian

EcoSport Timing Belt & Engine damage - Unhappy with Elite Ford (Marathahalli)

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend.

Vehicle: Ford Ecosport diesel Titanium (Via Company car lease program)
Service Center: Elite Ford Marathalli
Problem: Car doesn't start, engine malfunction light 'ON'
Vehicle delivery date: Dec 2013
Repair quote: INR82,000

Feedback from Ford,

"This is regarding your Ecosport vehicle (Reg Num:-KA 'Removed')has reported on 31/7/14 with the complaint of vehicle jerking during the vehicle inspection initially it was suspected due to fuel adulteration which causing MIL (Mal Functional indicator lamp) but further diagnosis it was detected that the rat has entered in the timing case ,due to which the timing got disturbed and the engine internal parts got damaged."

1. The engine MAL warning was on, so the vehicle was towed to Elite Ford (By car lease company).
2. The first reports from Elite ford was about the use of adulterated fuel.
3. A day later, they confirm it to be a timing belt issue.
4. A week later, comes the damaged camshaft assembly.
5. Elite ford mention that the MAL LED was lit only after the damage to the camshaft was done. This means it is only post damage alert rather than an early warning system.

My doubts:
  • Is a damage to this extent possible by a 'rat'.
  • When the engine hasn't been cranked how is camshaft assembly damaged? Are ford parts so fragile that a rat can damage them?
  • I thought the camshaft was the strong part in the engine assembly how can this be bent? (Can someone shed some light on how the timing belt problem based on the photo affects the inner workings of the engine)
  • If it is adulterated fuel (26% kerosene as reported) this doesn't explain again the bent camshaft!!
Attached Thumbnails
EcoSport Timing Belt & Engine damage - Unhappy with Elite Ford (Marathahalli)-damaged.timing.belt.jpg  

EcoSport Timing Belt & Engine damage - Unhappy with Elite Ford (Marathahalli)-rat.remains.d.jpg  

lancersfx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 16:54   #2
BHPian

re: EcoSport Timing Belt & Engine damage - Unhappy with Elite Ford (Marathahalli)

While I don't know if such damage to timing belt can cause further damage to the crankshaft, out of two Ecosports in my building, one has had a complete clutch replacement (First batch - Paid Work), and the second is in the service center for several days now. Unfortunately, the owner of both these white beauties refuses to elaborate more, hence I refrained from posting before this. This information was obtained by my driver from his driver. Both are not very car-tech-knowledgeable, so this is the limit of it. Perhaps some parts need more Indianization?

You could suggest one of the few anti-rat options to your friend for the near future once his beauty is back in his hands.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 17:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: EcoSport Timing Belt & Engine damage - Unhappy with Elite Ford (Marathahalli)

Is it possible for rat to enter inside timing case ? Usually timing case is made of hard plastic, I am not sure if it will be possible for rat to chew through that.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 17:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rat can never break into the enclosed timing cover and chew the belt. When the timing belt teeth break or even if the timing belt breaks off the consequences are broken Camshafts/ valves / damage to pistons etc.

I dont think you should be owning the damages. Its clearly quality fault and Ford should fix this free of cost.

Again i repeat - dont even buy the argument that Rat chewed the timing belt. Secondly dont even buy the argument that this happened due to adulterated fuel. They are just trying to pass on the blame to the customer.
amit_mechengg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 18:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, a rat cannot enter a timing chain cover. It OBVIOUSLY is sealed. Looks like ford is trying to absolve their hands of your case to make you pay, don't budge into it.
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 19:41   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback folks. Is anyone aware of the escalation matrix at Ford?
Old 7th August 2014, 19:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Is anyone aware of the escalation matrix at Ford?
I'd snapped this in a previous visit to Elite. You could try the contacts under customer feedback/complaints (unless you're looking at higher escalations, wherein you could try write2md@ford.com)

EcoSport Timing Belt & Engine damage - Unhappy with Elite Ford (Marathahalli)-wp_20140706_13_17_43_pro.jpg
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 20:32   #8
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Oh boy, this is not good.

Looks like Ford dealers have a tendency to pin the problem on the customer himself.

My sister owns a Figo and had paid for some engine sensor (6000 Rs) although the car was in warranty. Looks like their line of thinking is: everything that happens after the car delivery is caused by the customer.
Old 7th August 2014, 22:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

It’s obvious the rat cannot enter a sealed camshaft assembly period… in my opinion there are couple of possible reasons probably more, something broke off and jammed the cam assembly leading to undue stress on the timing belt teeth and damaging it. Secondly, there is a possibility of a manufacturing defect in the timing belt itself.
tj123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 22:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess its an assembly issue or some other issue that caused the timing belt to develop such a deformation. If they were to give the rat explanation to me, I would have given the entire service centre personnel sleepless nights repenting their stupidity. Just make sure that in order to back their story, they don't try to damage the timing cover, which afaik isn't something that can be damaged by a rat.

Moreover IIRC in TBhp itself I read that the timing belt is oil immersed. I haven't heard of a rat that can consume engine oil, which is considered to be environmentally harmful.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 07:12   #11
BANNED

Quote:
My doubts:

[*]Is a damage to this extent possible by a 'rat'.[*]When the engine hasn't been cranked how is camshaft assembly damaged? Are ford parts so fragile that a rat can damage them?[*]I thought the camshaft was the strong part in the engine assembly how can this be bent? (Can someone shed some light on how the timing belt problem based on the photo affects the inner workings of the engine)[*]If it is adulterated fuel (26% kerosene as reported) this doesn't explain again the bent camshaft!!
Rat doing such a menace that too to a sealed unit is funny.

Seeing the way Ford is behaving and handling the case, looks like someone from Skoda / VW had joined them. Ridiculous! (No offence to respective owners).

Ford is just trying to wash their hands of by blaming the customer and fuel adulteration.

Please do keep yourself firm on your stand. DO NOT budge to Ford and their opinions. Demand a car replacement.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th August 2014 at 07:14.
Old 8th August 2014, 07:58   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • If it is adulterated fuel (26% kerosene as reported) this doesn't explain again the bent camshaft!!
Such precision !! Wonder how did they deduce that the fuel had 26% kerosene ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Usually timing case is made of hard plastic, I am not sure if it will be possible for rat to chew through that.
Rats need to bite on hard stuff to maintain their teeth. Hard plastic itself should not be a problem for them.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 09:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

In the 1.4 tdci, there is a slot in the timing belt cover; it is closed by a sticker mentioning some date and and other details with a barcode. If 1.5 tdci has the same, then that is the area from where rat can enter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Moreover IIRC in TBhp itself I read that the timing belt is oil immersed. I haven't heard of a rat that can consume engine oil, which is considered to be environmentally harmful.
Oil-immersed, yes. But not in the diesel model.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 10:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Moreover IIRC in TBhp itself I read that the timing belt is oil immersed.
That's only in the EcoBoost engine.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Off-topic, though related: 1.3 ddis and 1.4 d4d uses timing chain, while 1.4/1.5 tdci ( in India) and 1.5 dci uses belt.

Chain is more reliable, but belt is quiet.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks