Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 16:01   #1

Windshield - Wind Noise

Hi All,

About 5 months back I had gotten my car's windshield replaced through Windshield experts as it had developed a crack (someone had hit a stone or something on it).
I followed all their advice & directions (like - Collect the car after 24 hrs, do not give too many jerks or go over any pothole etc) properly to ensure the sealant seals the glass well.
A few weeks later, I had heard the noise of air in the cabin a few times, but that was almost inaudible and I brushed it off thinking its air coming through a slightly opened window or something.
I have moved to a different city now and most of my travel is on the highway and now I can clearly hear air gushing into the cabin through some mysterious gap. (I can just hear the noise, can't feel any air per say).
What do I do? Any suggestions or places @ Hyderabad where I can get this fixed would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jawahar
Old 9th September 2014, 17:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Windshield - Wind Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjawah View Post
... now I can clearly hear air gushing into the cabin through some mysterious gap. (I can just hear the noise, can't feel any air per say). ...
* To remove the doubt, close all windows and light an agarbatti or dhoop and ask someone to sit beside you. Switch off AC / fan and radio, and drive at speeds where you find the air noise appearing. If there is an air leak, you will be able to trace with the smoke

* A gap, however hidden it sounds, is unlikely to produce the sshhh noise. Also, if you drive in rain, water is bound to come in there. Noise is produced when the air encounters a discontinuity causing it to deflect or change direction. This could be the beading bulging from outside, the wipers in the wrong position, the door or door window not sitting properly or even the window beading on the door (there is usually a small plastic tab on it to deflect air) not sitting properly

* A bit of disciplined 'testing and ruling out' will enable you to zero in on the fault location and get it corrected
DerAlte is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 23:50   #3

Thanks DerAlte, will try that and come back with what I see.

Thnx,
Jawahar
Old 10th September 2014, 00:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

Check for this -> sometimes the windshield installers forget to install a thin rubber strip / molding piece that runs along the bottom of the windshield.

I'd got a lot of grief over this when I had my windshield changed. Nobody could figure out why there was so much noise after changing a broken windshield.

Finally, I found a manufacturer part diagram that showed the thin rubber strip running along the bottom of the windshield. I ordered and added myself with silicone sealant.

As silent as can be!
aah78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 16:25   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Windshield - Wind Noise

Clearly, the installer hasn't done a perfect job of fitting your new windshield.

Windshield experts is a competent shop, not a fly-by-night operator. I'd suggest taking a copy of the bill and going to their outlet in Hyderabad. This is what they do day in and day out, and should be able to easily fix it. Also, drop your complaint via their contact form.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks