Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 09:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

K&N's Cabin Air Filter

Friends,

I just come across this new product from K&N's Air filter, I assume they call the AC filter as Air filter.

http://www.knfilters.com/video/Cabin...269&lnkidu=169

If this a whole new product? Have anyone had an experience with this before (if not Indian car owners, I assume some of the car owners in USA could have used it).

Self cleaning the air filter is interesting! since on Indian roads, we are more prone to dirty filters that require frequent cleaning. Is our cars designed to remove the filters easily as shown in this video?

Looking forward to learning from your experience. Thank you.
agbenny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 10:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Friends,

I just come across this new product from K&N's Air filter, I assume they call the AC filter as Air filter.

http://www.knfilters.com/video/Cabin...269&lnkidu=169

If this a whole new product? Have anyone had an experience with this before (if not Indian car owners, I assume some of the car owners in USA could have used it).

Self cleaning the air filter is interesting! since on Indian roads, we are more prone to dirty filters that require frequent cleaning. Is our cars designed to remove the filters easily as shown in this video?

I've used K&N engine air filters in my Jaguar in the USA. Like these, you can clean them yourself. The engine filters need special oil to be applied to the filter element after cleaning. They are very effective, less air resistance, compared to traditional filters. And they last forever of course, as long as you clean and oil them regularly.

How easy it is to replace a cabin air filter depends on your car. Not sure if all cars with AC have them to start with. You really need to check your manual or with the dealer. On some its real easy, on others it can be quite a fiddly job.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 10:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: K&N's Cabin Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I've used K&N engine air filters in my Jaguar in the USA. Like these, you can clean them yourself. The engine filters need special oil to be applied to the filter element after cleaning. They are very effective, less air resistance, compared to traditional filters. And they last forever of course, as long as you clean and oil them regularly.

How easy it is to replace a cabin air filter depends on your car. Not sure if all cars with AC have them to start with. You really need to check your manual or with the dealer. On some its real easy, on others it can be quite a fiddly job.

Jeroen
Thank you Jeroen. Many of the Indian car owners use K&N intake air filter (I use too for my Scorpio and i10).

It would be a delight if we can clean AC filters too easily. I know for AC service, service provides charge a lot.

I need to check this for Scorpio and i10. :-)
Old 11th September 2014, 12:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would be a delight if we can clean AC filters too easily. I know for AC service, service provides charge a lot.
Cabin Air filter (AC filter) is usually located adjacent with the evaporator housing behind the dashboard.
Removal and re-insertion can prove to be quite fiddly depending on the car make/model.
Typically it involves undoing a latch and pulling out the filter.

Since this unit is directly behind stereo system setup - wires from aftermarket stereo installations can be obstructive to the removal of the filter. You are recommended to first disconnect any wires from the stereo which are in the way, as a precaution against damage to such wiring.

You should not have too many issues if you have stuck with the OEM stereo, whose wires are usually in a harness.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 12:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are these already available in India? I just got my Dzire cabin filter placed, it did not come with one from the factory and cost about Rs.400, I wonder how much would the same filter from K&N be.
Old 11th September 2014, 12:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed the "in cabin" filter also called 'Pollen Filter' by some OEMs.

By self cleaning do you mean washable? My TJet+ came with a washable in cabin filter and it did nothing to stop the odours/fumes etc, though it did do a good job of stopping all sort of leaves, twigs and assorted debris.

For me the paper element charcoal impregnated filter works best, no more burnt fuel odour in the car. Sourcing depends on the make of the vehicle. Fiat sells it alongside the washable one so no issues in sourcing. Costs 200 odd bucks so twice a year replacement is cheaper than a movie ticket. For the Cedia it costs 2600 bucks & here Amazon comes to rescue where the price can drop to roughly 1000+ bucks per piece especially if you buy a bulk pack (4-5 now.)

As for the ease of removal etc. In the Fiat as well as in the Mitsubishi these are located behind the glove box. Just a matter of sliding a few clips and voila. I Am sure that it should be equally easy in other makes. BTW my 6 year old Swift and the couple of cities that I had earlier did not have this filter, not aware w.r.t. current models of these makes.

Quote:
Friends,

khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 10:37   #7
BHPian

Not sure if all cars have this option of a replaceable cabin air filter. About the Cedia - are you referring to this product?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did your car come with a cabin filter or did you DIY something like this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tallation.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
This is indeed the "in cabin" filter also called 'Pollen Filter' by some OEMs.

For the Cedia it costs 2600 bucks & here Amazon comes to rescue where the price can drop to roughly 1000+ bucks per piece especially if you buy a bulk pack (4-5 now.)

As for the ease of removal etc. In the Fiat as well as in the Mitsubishi these are located behind the glove box. Just a matter of sliding a few clips and voila. I Am sure that it should be equally easy in other makes. BTW my 6 year old Swift and the couple of cities that I had earlier did not have this filter, not aware w.r.t. current models of these makes.

Last edited by CBlazer : 12th September 2014 at 10:38.
Old 12th September 2014, 10:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that is the product & yes I too had to go the DIY route. In fact if you buy the filter from the service station you have to ask for the outlander's filter as there is none listed for the Cedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Not sure if all cars have this option of a replaceable cabin air filter. About the Cedia - are you referring to this product?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did your car come with a cabin filter or did you DIY something like this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tallation.html
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 11:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

this seems promising.

the cabin air filters (or a/c filters as we say) i have in my car are paper based and needs replacement every now and then. couple of months ago i replaced them, they looked white. i've done three long trips and local running and the filters are jet black already, not to mention reduced airflow.

the filters cost 1800/- a set. the K&N cabin filter would be a welcome upgrade.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 06:38   #10
BHPian

Re: K&N's Cabin Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Yes, that is the product & yes I too had to go the DIY route. In fact if you buy the filter from the service station you have to ask for the outlander's filter as there is none listed for the Cedia.
Thanks. The K&N filter seems interesting. I'm not sure they have something for the Cedia though (maybe VF2004?).

I recently bought the TYC (link I posted), but am yet to install it. More than keeping the odours out I am interested in keeping the evaporator coil clean. Recently the AC has become less effective and needs service (4.5 years, 53k km). Cleaning the evaporator coil requires removing the dash, so once serviced I'm hoping installing such a filter will help going forward.
Old 6th November 2016, 19:03   #11
BANNED

Wanted to check the condition of the cabin air filter in my 1.6 Optra as the AC had started acting up. It cools for 20mins or so after which its just warm air

The filter is under the glove box, had to remove 4 screws with a short philips screwdriver and the case comes out, there is a knob like thing to pull down the filter. There was quite a bit of dirt and dust but not too much. Cleaned it with an old toothbrush and used my trusty old cycle pump to make sure even the fine particles were blown off. Now this is just a fiber mesh so no point replacing it. Just checked the prices of new ones with shops in JC road, OEM was ₹1000+ and non OEM ones were ~₹360(these could be the pleated paper ones which IMO filter better than the one i currently have). I remember buying the paper type engine air filter for ~₹280(needed a spare one as rats were looking for a home in the cars parked in our building)
I am yet to decide if i must replace this with the paper type. Before that, I must check if the AC problem has been solved. I dont think just cleaning the filter can solve this particular AC issue but theres only one way to find out.
Attached Thumbnails
K&N's Cabin Air Filter-image.jpg  

Old 9th November 2017, 11:22   #12
BHPian

Hi,
Was looking for a DIY home air purifier. Came across the K&N cabin air filter. From what I could gather from net:
Average K&N cabin filter is about 40USD. Cleaning kit is another 12 USD.
Cleaning is recommended once a year.
Life of filter is 10 years.
Filters dust, pollen, allergens etc.

Also, can anyone tell me the particle size it filters? Most home air purifiers filter 2.5 particulate matter.

Last edited by risham : 9th November 2017 at 11:29.
risham is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks