Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 16:40   #1
BHPian

Duke's small, light & valveless axial engine

I came across this video about Duke engines:

I found it impressive and different than gnome or rotary engines. Piston follows a path of a sinusoidal wave producing power, rotating central crankshaft.

As claimed, 5 cylinder engine is equivalent to produce power of 6 cylinder conventional engine with only 3 spark plugs, fuel injectors! This is achieved at 30% reduction in weight! Other benefits being higher compression ratio and less space.

Mods: Request you to merge this thread with existing if I have posted in a wrong section. I couldn't find any thread on this.
StepUP! is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 17:20   #2
BHPian

Duke Engines!

Wow! This just may be the next revolution for IC engines which seemed to not have improved by leaps and bounds for the last 2-3 decades.
This also may be a breather for petrol engines over diesels due to a higher compression ratio possibility for petrols as there are no exhaust ports causing detonation.
Thanks for sharing!
nitin.rai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 14:13   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Duke's small, light & valveless axial engine

Very interesting design, so what is the downside of such a design? Looks quite complex with that spinning design. Vibration and how it is controlled comes to my list of concerns.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 14:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems to have a much larger surface moving against another. Friction, and seals, wonder if they have some new products to deal with that. I'm sure in the pre nanny state f1 days, someone would have picked it up and developed the heck out of it.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 14:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Duke's small, light & valveless axial engine

Can it do variable timing etc with that design or its not required? Looks very compact compression ratio is very good for a petrol.

Last edited by srishiva : 16th September 2014 at 14:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks