Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2015, 16:55   #16
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze: Clutch / Gearbox problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Disheartened to hear this.

Even in the ASS, it is not easy to re-produce the original fit and finish. But I think ASS can solve your problem of hard gear shift and stronger clutch push back....
Thanks for such an informative post. I'll take it up with the A.S.S., probably talk to them about this now and request them to fix all this in the next scheduled service. I'll be heading home on Monday, and check the damping material for now.

This replacement happened in Nov 2014, which coincided perfectly with the time I got the new petrol i20 elite. Everything in that car feels so soft, light and silent (oh the power steering), that I thought maybe I started feeling that the Cruze felt 'hard/rough' after driving the new i20 everyday in those two weeks. You gave me an idea actually: I should get somebody who owns the Cruze to drive my car and tell me if it drives normal.
Old 26th June 2015, 20:49   #17
BHPian

Any one has any idea how much it will come for overhauling the cruze engine? My 2011 cruze which is driven for only 30k is having some engine related issues as per the mechanic(A.S.S).The symptoms of possible engine issues are positive.And its out of warranty too
Old 31st January 2017, 18:06   #18
BHPian

2011 Cruze LTZ flywheel/clutch plate problems

I'm posting on behalf of my father who has a 2011 Cruze LTZ. The car broke down in traffic in the middle of the road yesterday, after slowing due to traffic. After somehow managing to get it to start again, it was brought back home. The workshop sent people to pick it up from home and advised us not to try and drive it back to them.

The only symptoms prior to this breakdown were: a whining sound when the car would be started, and some difficulty in switching gears (the gears would become hard to operate when the car was cold, and the problem would gradually go away as the car got warmer). During the last servicing, the mechanics pointed to an issue with the flywheel, but they advised us to just let it be until it would blow up in our face because the cost to repair/replace it would be very steep and it might just live on.

The car is in the workshop now, and we plan to visit them to figure out the exact course of action. However, they have given us an estimate of about Rs. 78,900 to fix everything. This includes:

Clutch/Brake Oil
Transmission Oil
Plate Kit CLU Press DRVN W CVR
Cylinder CLU MAS INCL 6

The third component is the costliest (Rs. 58,000) and then of course, there's Value Added Tax (VAT), "sublet charges", other taxes, etc. which jack up the cost.

I'm a bit out of touch with everything now, but I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to claim insurance for these repairs?

2. Is the cost quoted above (Rs. 79,000 or so) reasonable?

All inputs are welcome and greatly appreciated!
Old 31st January 2017, 23:05   #19
BHPian

Re: 2011 Cruze LTZ flywheel/clutch plate problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
I'm posting on behalf of my father who has a 2011 Cruze LTZ. The car broke down in traffic in the middle of the road yesterday, after slowing due to traffic. After somehow managing to get it to start again, it was brought back home. The workshop sent people to pick it up from home and advised us not to try and drive it back to them.

I'm a bit out of touch with everything now, but I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to claim insurance for these repairs?

Hi

I doubt you would be able to claim insurance as the clutch and related components are 'wear and tear' parts. You have not mentioned the odo reading but unless its clocked a gazillion miles with a bit of clutch riding, does appear to be a little premature. In hindsight, it was unwise to ignore the warning on the flywheel; has the transmission oil been changed at least once in the almost 6 years of ownership?

If the car is no longer in warranty, get a 2nd opinion from an FNG, you could get a more reasonable estimate

Last edited by hothatchaway : 31st January 2017 at 23:06. Reason: typo
hothatchaway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 23:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
I doubt you would be able to claim insurance as the clutch and related components are 'wear and tear' parts.
Thanks! This is what the workshop manager just told us a couple of hours ago while I was waiting for replies on this thread. I guess we have no option but to go ahead with the repairs as quoted. The silver lining is that the quoted amount may be a worst case upper bound.

Quote:
You have not mentioned the odo reading but unless its clocked a gazillion miles with a bit of clutch riding, does appear to be a little premature.
The car was purchased in August 2011 (so it's been a little over 5 years), and the odometer reading is 55630.00 -- sorry I forgot to mention it in my post. The car has not been driven extensively, but a case can be made for excessive wear and tear in Kanpur traffic. Most of the wear and tear is from "stop and go" at low speeds, i.e. in the first or second gear.

Quote:
In hindsight, it was unwise to ignore the warning on the flywheel;
Yes, we coaxed the workshop to have a look at the time. But they said as long as the car starts up fine, we should live with it because it would be difficult to assess the damage until the whole assembly is opened up and examined -- after which the most likely solution would be a complete replacement.

Since the cost of that replacement was high, when this discovery was first made a few months ago, they advised us to just see how it goes and get the items replaced only when absolutely necessary.

Quote:
has the transmission oil been changed at least once in the almost 6 years of ownership?
I don't think so. The assumption always was -- judging from the odometer -- that since the car is not driven extensively, there's "no need". The workshop that originally managed the vehicle shut down, and responsibilities were transferred to a new workshop which is doing a much more careful and responsible job. That being said, I guess the damage had already been done by the time the new workshop took over.

Quote:
If the car is no longer in warranty, get a 2nd opinion from an FNG, you could get a more reasonable estimate
Thanks again!
Old 31st January 2017, 23:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post

I can bet you can get 1/2 at an FNG with quality parts. Clutch plate + flywheel + bearing + Fluid + Slave+master. Get a 2nd opinion from an FNG first. The extra part you have is the Gear Oil and i am not sure why they want to change that now.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 00:02   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Being an owner of a 2011 LT, I don't think there is any major cause for worry. 55k is around the time the clutch pack ( and possibly flywheel) needs to be changed anyway. I changed mine at 40k km due to b2b BLR traffic which costed ~30k. Chevy were generous enough to replace the flywheel (~30k more) as a goodwill gesture.

This is of course assuming you haven't changed the clutch earlier? Also 60k km is around timing belt replacement time. Better get some competent advice on that too!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 14:23   #23

Greetings all,
I own a 2011 craze LT with 85000 kms on the odo. The car developed an issue with clutch where it will loose almost 60% of play. While showing local mechanic he said it was cause of air in the cylinder which he removed and it was fine thereafter. Now yesterday while I was out the clutch lost all its play and couldn’t work any more. I saw oil leakage and called the mechanic. He refilled the oil and we took the car to his workshop to check if it was leakage. Eventually found out that it is from gearbox bearing which needs to be replaced. He has asked to keep car for 4 days as it involves lot of parts to be removed including suspension etc and gave an estimate about 20k. I look forward for any help guidance from the experts in the forum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks