Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2014, 19:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rotor Screws: Necessary or Not?

I'm in a peculiar situation. I need to replace the brake rotors on my Accent, but am unable to find rotor screws that fit flush with the hub surface. The new OEM rotors don't seem to have holes machined for the purpose. I can't afford them to sit 1-2 mm above the surface, since that would foul with my alloys sitting flush with the hub face.

I read up on this topic online, but the debate is unresolved. Some people seem to believe the rotor screws are just an assembly requirement (during initial manufacturing) and solve no purpose in-use. The rotor is centred by the wheel's central bore and held in place by the lugs nuts when the wheel is put on. Others debate its the screws that centre the rotor and can lead to bad consequences if absent. The debate is further muddied by some debaters claiming some brands don't even have rotor screws in their setup, so go figure.

The million-dollar question: Do I or don't I 'need' them? Do note that I'd prefer to 'have' them, but Hyundai is unable to supply a new set of rotors that have screws to fit my needs. So for me, it's a choice between swapping rotors without screws, or not swap rotors at all.

Advise please.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th December 2014 at 19:04.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 19:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rotor Screws: Necessary or Not?

The debate about rotor screws centring the rotor is wrong. The rotor is always centred by the hub. From what little I know I do not think that it is absolutely necessary to have them. But on the other hand if they were not necessary they would not be there in the first place.

Edit: From what I have read online they are mainly used to hold the brake rotor in place on the assembly line while manufacturing the vehicle. So they may not be really necessary after all. A lot of people seem to leave them off without any ill effects.

Last edited by vikram_d : 25th December 2014 at 19:18.
vikram_d is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 12:58   #3
BHPian

Re: Rotor Screws: Necessary or Not?

Are these the screws similar to those holding the drums on the rear wheels? Or are these for only the front rotors?

On my drums, there is a single screw that holds the drum in place (fixing the rim with the lug screws also holds the drum in place). During multiple services, the mechanics slowly destroyed the heads of the screws so it became impossible to remove one or two of them. Since I had seen this happening, I ordered around 12 spare screws and kept them with me (this part is not readily available and must be ordered). Have been replacing them ever since whenever a screw is damaged beyond usability.

Perhaps you can order the rotor screws from Hyndai Spare Parts as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks