Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 09:26   #1
BHPian

Engine Shuddering Issue

My family's CNG converted Hyundai Getz has been having some issues lately. Since about three weeks ago, the car sometimes shudders while driving, especially on sudden acceleration. (Feels as if the engine is being deprived of fuel or spark).

The issue appears irregularly, sometimes the car will run fine for days until it randomly starts shuddering/missing on acceleration. This happens on both CNG and petrol.

My dad got the car checked by a nearby garage, but the issue wasn't apparent when they test drove the car. They suggested just cleaning the throttle body. As we had planned a 300km trip that weekend and the issue had seemingly disappeared we decided to get this done when we got back. The car mostly ran fine during the trip.

Today, the car again started violently shuddering on acceleration. After a while there was a high pitched scraping sort of sound which we noticed at slow speed, but we could not detect it when we stopped the car to check under the hood.

Although we will be getting the throttle body cleaning done as soon as possible, I doubt that this is the cause of the issue. I had originally thought it could be an electronic issue such as a faulty throttle position sensor or crank position sensor; but now the sound seems to suggest a mechanical problem. Anybody have any experience with a similar issue?
Old 14th January 2015, 12:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Engine Shuddering Issue

Shuddering can be either due to bad fueling or bad electrical. Now since the issue happens both on CNG and Petrol, i would first check for issues in electrical circuit. Start with the plugs, then coil pack and wires. I would suggest you take it to a authorized garage for hyundai, they will be able to identify such issues faster.

Ideally use Petrol mode to trouble shoot since it would be straight forward.

EDIT: Does this happen only when the engine is fully warmed up OR happens even during cold conditions?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 12:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
The car mostly ran fine during the trip.
Try taking the car on another long drive while running on petrol only (not on CNG), with a dose of 1ml/litre System-G or similar, mixed with the petrol. I suspect an injector issue due to extended running on CNG.

Quote:
...high pitched scraping sort of sound ...
May be unrelated to the shuddering problem - check fan belts.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 14th January 2015 at 12:40.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 13:09   #4
BHPian

This is usually a result of bad coils. Get them checked and replaced.
patron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 14:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Any warning lights, or CEL (check engine light) showing on the dash?

Even without warning ligjhts, get your car/engine hooked up to a proper OBD analyser to try and figure out what is going out. Preferably one that can do live measurements as well.

Could be anything but going by the little we know I would think electrical (maybe coil as suggested). Injector maybe, although I would think that would pop the CEL pretty quickly.

I doubt it is the throttlebody. If cleaning is the remedy there should be visual evidence of it being contaminated in the first place.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 10:57   #6
BHPian

An update on the issue: the problem turned out to be a loose connector to one of the sensors (probably the crank position sensor).

We also got the timing belt, the alternator belt, and the belt tensioner pulley bearing replaced, so hopefully even the scraping noise issue has been solved.
Old 19th January 2015, 15:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An update on the issue: the problem turned out to be a loose connector to one of the sensors (probably the crank position sensor).

We also got the timing belt, the alternator belt, and the belt tensioner pulley bearing replaced, so hopefully even the scraping noise issue has been solved.

If you would have hooked up to an OBD analyzer it would have shown which connector. I don't understand replacing all these parts in one go. Its very unlikely that all three of them were producing a scraping sound. I would have tried to troubleshoot a bit further. Look for obvious signs of something touching. Use a stethoscope to find the culprit. Maybe change the parts one by one.
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 19:17   #8
BANNED

Quote:

Spot-on Jeroen.

Rather than changing everything at a go blindly without knowing the root cause is like shooting arrows in dark.

What if the issue repeats, no one would know the real reason as all the said parts were changed at a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
If you would have hooked up to an OBD analyzer it would have shown which connector. I don't understand replacing all these parts in one go. Its very unlikely that all three of them were producing a scraping sound. I would have tried to troubleshoot a bit further. Look for obvious signs of something touching. Use a stethoscope to find the culprit. Maybe change the parts one by one.

Jeroen

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th January 2015 at 19:21.
Old 27th December 2019, 11:41   #9

Engine shudder in cold start and check engine light

Hi All,

I had a abnormal engine shudder on cold start, today morning in my elite i20 (Aug 2017-petrol Asta, {21,000+ kms}). For my office commute.

Also the check engine light was on for a few more seconds than the normal (at the start of the engine). But after about 15-20 secs it went away.

Since the engine light went away, I drove to my office (10 kms - 40 mins) without any problem. When I reached office parking, I switched off the engine for 10 mins and restarted the car again to check if the shuddder and light is there, but it was normal, without any issue.

All my learned friends here, do you think if there is a problem or I am over-reacting.

I will also observe in the evening when I go back, which will be again a cold start.

BTW, the car is regularly serviced at HASS. Last serviced in July 2019.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
Aqua.

Last edited by Aqua : 27th December 2019 at 11:51.
Old 27th December 2019, 13:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not worry about it. Sometimes these things happen. All of a sudden an engine stutters, runs less smooth, coughs, jitters and then again is fine.
I can list dozens of possible causes, but as it is gone now it is really impossible to diagnose.

The one thing you could do is put an OBD scanner and see if there are any error codes left.

I am hugely particular to all these sort of little niggles, but in all honesty in your case I would not bother and drive on happily.

As long as it stays away you are good to go. Enjoy your car and your driving

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 14:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I would not worry about it. Sometimes these things happen. All of a sudden an engine stutters, runs less smooth, coughs, jitters and then again is fine.
I can list dozens of possible causes, but as it is gone now it is really impossible to diagnose.

The one thing you could do is put an OBD scanner and see if there are any error codes left.

I am hugely particular to all these sort of little niggles, but in all honesty in your case I would not bother and drive on happily.

As long as it stays away you are good to go. Enjoy your car and your driving
Jeroen

Thanks Jeroen, for your guidance. Will observe it for a couple of days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks