Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 20:54   #1
BHPian

Car Clock keeps getting reset!

I have a one year old Grand i10 petrol version. Whenever I start my car after a gap of few hours, the clock in the dash is reset to the default date / time.Can it be an issue with the car battery?
Old 12th February 2015, 13:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Clock keeps getting reset!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
I have a one year old Grand i10 petrol version. Whenever I start my car after a gap of few hours, the clock in the dash is reset to the default date / time.Can it be an issue with the car battery?
I'd first check the connectors. Sometimes, it can be the simplest things - link.

But if this is happening only after parking the car for long, then you might be looking at a battery or drain issue.

Go visit your service station - Hyundai's dealers are good & your car is covered by warranty!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:32   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But if this is happening only after parking the car for long, then you might be looking at a battery or drain issue.
I would surely say its an electrical problem cabling or otherwise and may not be the battery. The power requirement for clock is quite low from a car battery capacity standpoint.

Do you see any other problem fault notifications ?
Old 12th February 2015, 13:41   #4
BHPian

Hi,

I have a similar problem in my i10 (2008 Magna (O)), last time it happened the battery was in dying stage and got it changed.

This time too once the problem started, the battery was completely down once and I went ahead and changed it (Exide>>Exide), but the problem still persists with the new battery. So do keep this in mind before going down the same path of changing the battery.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 15:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this a continuous & very predictable issue? Can you reciprocate it every single time? If so, yes, the battery will be dying out, and when you crank the car, there will not be enough juice left to still keep the clock powered.

Otherwise, check the terminals, like GTO said.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 15:06   #6
BHPian

Car Clock keeps getting reset! - UPDATE

I visited the Hyundai service center today. The service engineer thought the problem could be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.However after 5 mins the problem resurfaced.Luckily I was still in the service center so I immediately brought this to their notice.According to them the only solution now is to replace the entire audio unit which will take about 15 days to procure from the factory.Since my car is covered under warranty ,this will be at no cost to me although I am slightly worried about the reliability of parts used by Hyundai.
Old 12th February 2015, 15:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, one of my friends had a similar problem with his Dzire & the clock.

The culprit was the Battery that was End of life. It would mostly reset when the car was cranked.

When the clock gets reset, does your ICE settings - Equalizer, Stored Radio Stations etc also get reset? If so, it is indeed related to the car's battery. Loose cable on the battery terminals, improper contact or a battery nearing its shelf life could be the reasons.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 16:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

The battery (even though its at end of life) is able to crank-up the car, but is not able to power up the clock? Somehow does not make sense to me.

Last edited by ampere : 12th February 2015 at 16:28.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 16:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The battery (even though its at end of life) is able to crank-up the car, but is not able to power up the clock? Somehow does not make sense to me.
In a weak battery, when cranking the engine up, all the power is used up for that - there is a big voltage drop. For a moment, its like the clock is disconnected from the battery. Hence getting reset.
Old 12th February 2015, 16:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Even in motorcycles, clock getting reset is the first sign of a weak battery. In your case though, the vehicle is just 1 year old. So there may be some other issue.

But still you may want to check the battery charge status.
Old 12th February 2015, 17:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing I can think off at the moment is that the clock might be resetting while the car is cranked. The starter might draw all of the available power and the clock might have been getting reset at that point.
Old 12th February 2015, 18:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has happened many times including me with the OE battery of the WagonR. When you crank, the voltage levels at the terminals drop usually. Now, with a weak or an old battery, it drops even more.

Hence, its not about Battery not able to supply power to that tiny clock. Its the clock that gets reset (along with ICE and other things) every time you crank.

And with such a battery, you are at huge risk as the battery will simply refuse to even crank after few days.

My WagonR in its 9th year is on the Second battery. When it (OE) died, I was at an MGP shop, bought my stuff and returned and cranked and it went dead. Later I paid 50 bucks to an ASC nearby who helped me jump start and advised me not to stop the engine till I reached home.

No signs before this whatsoever!! This was after 60 months on the OE Battery. I simply replaced the battery after this.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th February 2015 at 18:09.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 14:22   #13
BHPian

Re: Car Clock keeps getting reset! - Grand i10

The dealer checked the battery and found it to be OK .The clock unit itself seems to have gone bad.He said we can replace the part but with a refurbished one only even though the car is still under warranty. I flatly declined saying since the car is still under warranty, I want a new part.

The surprising part is Hyundai is extremely uncooperative in this matter and keeps insisting that I talk with dealer and settle the matter directly.I wanted to know whether the replacement policy that the dealer is telling me is standard? Given this bad experience I will not go for another Hyundai again.
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up this old thread.

I recently got this dash clock installed in my Gypsy at a FNG. However, it resets itself few minutes after the power supply is cut off. Should not be an issue with the car battery since it is a new car (and hence new battery). The weird part is that the clock does retain time for a few minutes and does not reset itself immediately. Does it seem to be an issue with the wiring or the clock itself? Leads me to the question regarding power source for the clock to be able to 'remember' the set time!

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by cool_dube : 23rd January 2017 at 11:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks