Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2015, 13:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?

Inorder to make our (my and car) life a little more exciting, I ordered a Flip Key from AliExpress.
After a lot of calculation and consideration, I had ordered it, which turned out to be incorrect. My bad.

The flip key came home in a month. I opened up the existing GM Branded remote lock. Alas, the shape of the circuit inside is big & weird and doesn't fit the flip key shell.

Here are some images depicting the problem.

The GM branded remote key model:

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150316_130112.jpg

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150107_170326.jpg

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150107_170305.jpg

The Flip Key that I ordered on AliExpress:

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150107_182817.jpg

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150107_182755.jpg

The weird shaped chip/circuit board from my GM remote:

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150107_170148.jpg

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150107_165905.jpg

The Problem: The weird shaped circuit board doesn't fit into the new flip key's shell:

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150107_165913.jpg

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150107_170054.jpg

Now my questions, about what to do with this problem and what are my options to resolve it ?

Option: Cut the edges of the circuit board to make it fit inside the flip key shell.
My View: Not possible since the circuit runs to the very extreme border of the board.

Option: Take it to a key-guy who can program the frequency of this board, onto another board which fits my flip key shell ?
My View: Wouldn't that expose my remote's frequency to be programmable on another board ? Any security risk ? Is this even possible in the first place ?

Option: Sell it back on some e-commerce website, and live with this GM branded remote lock.
My View: Possible Option.

Option: Replace the entire security system with a new one from Autocop which comes with a flip key, or atleast has a remote whose chip board fits into my flip key shell.
My View: This would set me back by about Rs.5000. Hence last option. May not even get this done practically.

So friends, kindly provide your valuable inputs about how to go about this problem !!
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 13:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?

Can you post a snap of the other side of the board? Are there traces on the other side close to the edges?

Had it not been for that LED on the top of the board, you could have shaved off an mm from both sides of the PCB using a file.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 13:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Can you post a snap of the other side of the board? Are there traces on the other side close to the edges?
Had it not been for that LED on the top of the board, you could have shaved off an mm from both sides of the PCB using a file.
The other side is absolutely tight. Zero space to shave off :-(

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150107_170207.jpg
Old 16th March 2015, 14:11   #4
BHPian

The original GM remote you are referring to is actually autocop and even Tata provided the same remote with Indica. So getting another one in case needed is not tough.

If you have some electronics and soldering skills, you can try shaving off that broad copper track and use a thick copper wire as replacement of that track. I think the thick copper track is antenna so should not be a problem with thick soldered copper wire.

Before trying anything, check the before items:
1. Will the PCB fit if you shave off the sides.
2. Are there any other obstacles other than the shape/size of PCB.
3. Will the keypad work correctly with button position.
sanjeevgpc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 14:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

That shouldn't be a problem since you aren't breaking the trace entirely. You need to only file an mm off both the sides. In case you brake the trace, you can solder a wire across 2 ends as shown below:

Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-20150107_170207.png

Use a single strand insulated wire to connect across both ends.

But before all this, check if the thickness and the battery bulging out isn't causing an issue with the new shells.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 14:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I ordered a Flip Key from AliExpress.

Option: Take it to a key-guy who can program the frequency of this board, onto another board which fits my flip key shell ?
My View: Wouldn't that expose my remote's frequency to be programmable on another board ? Any security risk ? Is this even possible in the first place ?
Is your car equipped with an engine immobilizer / Rolling code system ?

If yes, apart from programming the frequency for the remote locking, you'll have to transfer the rolling codes to the key. For the starting the engine equipped with immobilizer the transponder embedded in the key containing the codes is needed. The aftermarket transponders may malfunction later on, unlike the OEM transponder. So moving to a new circuit is not so easy and reliable.

Installing autocop is better as your car would be more secure and seems to be a more reliable option and more VFM than fishing out 2 grands on a new shell and circuit.
Umesh Kumar61 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 14:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding another (& simple) possible routing for the above said solution
Original remote's chipboard doesn't fit in flippy key shell. Now what?-170207.jpg

Wish you all the best, do keep us updated.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 16th March 2015 at 14:50.
Mr.Boss is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks