Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2006, 00:35   #1
BHPian

Suspension noise on Lancer?

hi im in great need of some good advice, my problem is!
i have a 2000 lancer slxi which as for the last 1 1/2 month started to make a sound which fitted this description:
"ThunkThunkThunk
WHERE: One or both front corners of the vehicle.
WHEN: Going around slow, sharp corners under light throttle.
WHAT: A CV joint that allows your front wheels to turn and still be powered is loose. The boot has failed and let out all the CV joint’s grease, or maybe it’s just time for it to wear out.
URGENCY: Don’t leave town. Don’t use a lot of throttle around sharp turns. Your car will stop suddenly when the joint completely fails.
FIX: Replace the entire off ending half-axle."

now i just read this tread " whats that sound" a few days ago but my mech insist that the suspension kit has to be replaced and the sound will go what he forgot was that he had charged me for a kit a few months ago. (*faint noise coming from time to time) i have taken photos of the part in concern. the pic on the non driver's side
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/38674.jpg wheel turn right
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/38675.jpg wheel turn left
Old 21st August 2006, 23:17   #2
BHPian

The problem i suppose appears as the car ages... seen it on our old esteem, but astonishingly my mom's brand new Alto shows similar kind of symptoms.... not always though. Is it possible that it is the same problem? The car is too new for that! Showed it to a mechanic but he doesn't seem to notice the sound!
Old 22nd August 2006, 01:02   #3
BHPian

well i havent showed it to the mech as yet as im looking for a new 1 but as soon as i get it fixed will confirm what the problem is
Old 26th August 2006, 22:19   #4
BHPian

ancer,

The rubber parts you have photgraphed are called "Axile Boots". They protect the Constant Velocity (CV) joints between the axile and the wheel in front wheel drive cars.

A CV joint allows the front wheel to be turned left / right while still remaining connected to the transmission. It is similar to the joint you see in under the center of trucks between the gearbox and the drive shaft.

From your photos, it looks like one axile boot is cracked and the other is either torn or disconnected from where it should be. The cracked one will need to be replaced, the other one may be salvageable.

If they have been in this state for a long time, there is a high chance that the universal joints have become dry (ungreased) and dirt may have entered them... and if this happened, they will wear out prematurely and lead to the sympthoms you described. Expensive job to fix! (axiles may need to be replaced!) ... sorry mate!

- T u r b o C -
Old 28th August 2006, 00:35   #5
BHPian

dam! oh well havent taken the car to the mech as yet ..will be doing this first thing in the morning, when u say expensive how expensive are you talking about .. took her out for a drive today to the mech (was closed) the noise has become louder so i'm guessin this 1 is going to be a dizzy thanks turbo
Old 29th August 2006, 19:06   #6
BHPian

hey turbo just got it back from the mech he checked the car and claims that the sound maybe coming from the drive shaft ...yup i know an expensive job .... told him not to do it will show it to the company for a 2nd opinion
Old 11th October 2006, 17:54   #7
BHPian

hi need a little adivice gave the car to H.M to check on the sound and service they have told me it will cost 27k for the entire service which includes the following

fr strut rh+lh
fr strut bearing rh+lh
fr strut mounting " "
tir rodend " "
ball joint " "
aligment
balancing
engine oil
fuel filter
air filter
carbon cleaning
engine flashing
radiator flashing
linleage kit fr & rr

what i need to know is (a) for that kind of money any better options? maybe get rally suspension ... (b) can it be done cheaper else where
the car has done arnd 65000 km but runs like a dream (except for sound and stiff steering) plz help soon as i'm thinking of giving the car tomorrow morning
Old 11th October 2006, 20:39   #8
BANNED

Hi,

If the list you gave is correct then you can get a cheaper job done outside.

Viper
Old 11th October 2006, 20:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

what the pic shows is steering boot and sound you described is of driveshaft both are un related

hope the sound comes when you are moving the car and steering locked in any direction as mentioned in what sound post

answer to your question yes labour might be cheaper by couple of thousands in total.. and mostly and outside garage might avoid the engine decarb and radiator flash n stuff but if you can afford it go for complete repair job and should give you a reliable front suspension for next 60k kms

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2006 at 20:59.
Old 12th October 2006, 01:39   #10
BHPian

was thnking of replacing her with another 2000 model but it does not make sense since the problem could occur there as well, may hold onto her for another year so i guess the company fix might help, viper how much will i end up saving outside?
Old 28th October 2006, 21:15   #11
Team-BHP Support

I'm getting a clunking sound when i turn the wheel when the car is stationary or at slow parking speed. It seems to be from the suspension or the steering. This clunk doesnt come all the time only sometimes. While turning the wheel this clunk sound comes once or twice continuously.

I have got this checked and the lancer guys havent figured it out. It's a very small clunkclunk sound which i find irritating.

I have got the CV joints and boot checked and they are fine. The full suspension has also been checked and retorqued.

This sound was not heard before changing the tyres. It's become prominent after changing the tyres to turanza ER-60 195/60-14 from OE 185/60-14.

Also no part of the tyre fouls with any part of the car body.

Any idea what this could be guys?
Old 29th October 2006, 10:05   #12
BHPian

How about checking if the driveshafts have excessive play?
Old 30th October 2006, 08:33   #13
Team-BHP Support

If the drive shaft has excessive play will the sound come when the car is stationary and you just turn the wheel?

Ill get that checked up too.

I'm guessing something's not lubed properly, cause the sound is more like a creaking sound.
Old 30th October 2006, 10:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
If the drive shaft has excessive play will the sound come when the car is stationary and you just turn the wheel?
Don't think so.
A single clunk while turning steering from lock to lock is normal. You can hear it with turning the steering while the engine is off.
Old 30th October 2006, 11:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

I've never been able to turn the wheel with the engine off. It's just too hard. Could you explain how it's normal as i dont remember the sound before upgrading the tyres. Probably cause i dint notice so minutely at the sound.

As i said before the tyres dont foul with any part.

Does the sound come when you turn the wheel and the suspension goes down due to the wheel angle and gives a creak/clunk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks